• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bernard at 6 Mo

mehdifshp

Hello All

244nzi1.jpg

2lsbexy.jpg

This is Bernard at 6 month, as you see he is too skinny but I truly love him.
I live in Iran and as there is no Cavalier breeder here, I had to import him from Turkey with difficulties. he had luxating patella surgery at 3 month age but now he is doing well.
my concern is he is smaller than other Cavaliers(based on photo comparing, cause there isn't one to compare with). Now at the age of 6/5 months , his height is 12" from shoulder to the ground and he weigh 8.8 pounds.

Please let me have your comments.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome, Mehdi! Bernard is very cute -- :).

On posting pictures -- you need to go into the Flickr section called 'actions' and then pick a size, then select the option to post to another site. Flickr has unfortunately made it more cumbersome to add a direct link so a pic shows but you can still do it. :)

The url link will work however. Right now you are linking to an entire web page rather than the picture itself -- that is why the pic isn't showing up on the thread.

On Bernard's size -- are you saying he is 6 and a half months old? Or 6.5 years old? If only half a year old he will likely add more weight and fill out more though that is still quite small. For an adult that would indeed be very small -- if he is quite underweight despite feeding there could be an underlying reason, but if he is generally active and healthy otherwise it is just something to watch out for rather than an immediate worry. I am sure others might add some perspective. He is the right height and length pretty much, though! :) 12 inches at the shoulder is breed standard.

Bernard looks fine for 6 months. Lewis is a slightly built cavalier and he looked the same as that at 6 months.

Enjoy him! :)

hi ,bernard looks beautiful and very happy ! ruby is a small cavalier and she looked like bernard till recently , she turns 2 end of august . she suddenly began to fill out , but i think will always be slight. i was told by the vet shes perfect and we have just got used to heavy built pets, same as humans !!!! hes a real cutie :luv:

Hi

And wellcome Bernard is a beautiful boy and looks fine ,happy and healthy .Look forward to seeing more photographs of him.:)

Welcome to CT! Bernard is adorable.

My Claire is 14 months, and very petite, and looked very much like Bernard at 6 months. She was a little heavier then that at 7 months when she got spayed, and weighed just under 10 lbs.

Keep an eye, he may be a slow grower, or if you had surgery, it may just take him a while to start to really grow.

Everyone is different. Do you have a good Vet?

Cindy and Claire

thank you every body, thanks for your support and welcoming me.

now I feel better about his size.

and yes his vet is wonderful, he is the vet of my two other dogs (which are 16 an 14 now) but as I mentioned above, Cavaliers aren't famous here and even my vet told me that Bernard is the first one he has met.

Bernard is lovely and I would`nt worry to much about his size, they are all different, I have two cavaliers, one 11 years and one nearly 1 year old, had them both at 8 weeks old, the oldest one is high in the legs and grew very slowly and is still not very big, but my younger one grew really fast is not so high in the leg but longer in the body and overall is a much bigger cavalier.

Hi

I am so happy, I have changed his diet from can foods to meat and chicken (suggested by vet). In less than a week he gained 1 pound!! now he weighs 9.8!!!

:jump:

what a beautiful cav he is. my girl seemed very small for a long time too. when she was on her back and we would pet her belly we would remark at her little "chicken chest" LOL it truly was the size of a roasting chicken. maile is my first cavalier and I had only seen one in real life and the rests in pictures. most pictures make the dogs look bigger than they really are so I was worried maile was too small as well, but she is normal size now and gone is her little chicken chest. I hope you post lots of pictures. enjoy your pup

Back