• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Not good news for Pippin at annual check up:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

pippa

Hello all...

Don't get a chance to post on here much lately. I posted this in MVD section and thought I'd put it here also, hope that's ok...

I had Pippin up for his annual bloods and new vet (who has specialized in heart problems) found a murmur..., it’s not the usual kind of murmur that cavs get (trust Pippin) it’s a problem with the valve not opening fully rather than not closing and closing too quickly, so doesn’t cause fluid to build up on the lungs but blood to gather around the heart,we could clearly see what was happening on the scan, anyway she has scanned and done an ECG, which she took a close look at later and called us about after giving us loads of info at the scan,- she is excellent,- and he is not showing any signs of heart failure, but is showing signs of some damage caused by the heart trying to compensate, and slow heart rate. She said this type does not show the normal coughing or abdominal swelling that the usual murmur does, so can get bad without noticing any problems other than a little weakness and loss of energy, which he does have recently.

She has started him on vetmedin 2.5 twice daily for two weeks and if it gives him more energy she will keep him on 1.25 twice daily but if he’s much the same will leave him off meds for the moment, she has reduced his phenobarbital to half a 15mg tablet twice daily, (she’s not sure now whether it may have been his heart all along it was a different vet who thought it was fits although they weren’t the classic fits) she is not withdrawing them altogether at the moment just in case.

Other than this she said she will scan him annually and told us not too worry too much about walks and playing as it is important at the moment that he is happy and allowed to live as normal as possible. We only walk him for 10-15 mins twice daily anyway and he doesn't play as much as he used to...

Pippin was 7 last feb, we have had him since he was 9 weeks.

Gus (who is 9 and a half) has his check up next week, and DJ (7 in June) next month, so I am a little nervous about that, but fingers crossed.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of this type of murmur?

Actually I will close this and refer people to the duplicate in the SM/MVD forum -- gets very confusing when there are two active threads and it is hard for people who are interested or may need similar advice to follow replies. :thmsbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back