• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Can dogs get stomach bugs

anniemac

Ella is at the vet today because she had been vomiting yesterday and was still not doing well this morning. She had not started new medication but she was not keeping anything down.

Her vet called and said her stomach is not in pain so he does not think she ate anything (ie. Underwear etc.) But that a lot of dogs have been in with upset stomachs. She is still vomiting. He is giving her medication and taking a fecal sample but said something is going around.

Of course I'm thinking it is something more than a "bug" I didn't think dogs get stomach bugs. He said if he did anything more it would be an xray but from feeling around, he doesn't think that is it. (She has had xrays before as diagnosis).

He said to keep her off other medication (except prilosec) until she gets better.

Any one have input?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Yes, they get stomach bugs.

Can he not give a pain injection? -- I would not leave an SM cavalier with significant symptoms and pain off SM meds.

Can he not give a pain injection? -- I would not leave an SM cavalier with significant symptoms and pain off SM meds.

I have not picked her up yet but I am going to ask what they are giving her. He said he would give her something before I pick her up and will definately ask about giving a pain injection. Thank you.

Thanks karlin! I'm asking him if he can do that before I pick her up and what medication he is giving her. I know he was giving her something before I picked her up and I'm not sure what it is. Thank you!

Stomach bugs

I know that my old boy, Otis has had quite a few tummy troubles. Usually drinking from a puddle will do it. He's had a few different parasites. (Giardia and Coccidia are really common.) --Did they screen her for those? And, also, as Karlin said, they do just get stomach bugs sometimes. I've seen that as well...
I sure hope she starts feeling better soon. :) It's no fun to see our little friends feeling bad.
--Jessie

Give her a snuggle from Ruby and I. (Otis too!) :)

I asked about an injection for pain and vet said no because he felt even a morphine injection would upset her stomach??? I have to call him in the am but she is still not well although not vomitting. He gave her panacur and metronidazole? I am glad I asked him to give her fluids because I don't know if he would.

She has not been drinking or eating and I'm sure she needed fluids. As far as anything other than a stomach bug, I would think something would show up in the fecal examination? I don't know how long that takes for the results to come back. I heard something is going around and even another vet is giving flu shots??

Hi there,
The good news is if it IS a parasite I know they have always perscribed Metronidazole for us. I'm sure you may know this, but get some plain minute rice and boil up some chicken for her until she is allowed to eat again. It's nice and gentle on their tummies. (they probably told you that! sorry!) I've also sprinkled some pro-biotics on the food to help with the 'good flora" when on that antibiotic.
I'd think they'd see something serious in a stool sample for sure. (like blood) They usually know those answers the same day when we've had this issue. (Otis is 9, and I'd say we've been through this 10 times in the first few years of his life! Labrador: they'll eat it ALL!!!)
Panacure is usually helpful too... :)
I hope she's resting at home with you by now! Take care and let us know what's going on soon!
--Jessie

Thanks jessie! No they did not tell me any of that. She is not eating anything (yesterday spit up pills I gave her) and she isnt drinking much or at least since she got back. I'm supposed to call in the am and they gave her the first treatment there. I think I will try rice when she gets more alert and actually is up to it. She is not really moving and pretty much wanting to sleep or look like it.

Hopefully she will be better in the morning. Someone mentioned pancreatitis but I think with the rain and being at the beach, she probably picked something up. He did not feel anything alarming in her exam (like she ate something)

Thank you for your help and advice about how to give her the medication.

The beach!

You just reminded me! The first time Otis picked up a parasite, it was a day or two after we went to the ocean! Oh, yes, so many "yummy" dead things and yucky puddles for appetizers there! :p
Oh! One more thing! Try some Pedialyte w/ water. I'd use 1/3 Pedialyte to 2/3 water. It's helpful to re-hydrate them and tastes yummy. :) (Our long-time family vet taught us that many years ago! It's very helpful when they're dehydrated!)
Goodnight, she'll be better soon!
Jessie

Yep....beach can have things to get into...

Panacur does not go down well for Gracie and other dogs, so that might be making her feel a bit worse for a while on top of already feeling poorly. She may well have licked up some icky on the beach. Please keep us posted on sweet Ella.

Hope Ella feels better soon. I went through very severe IBS with our elderly Lhasa Julie ... I know how scary it is ...

I hope the meds bring her some fast relief so she can get healthy again and resume her SM meds.

Thanks everyone.

Karlin or others with sm cavaliers. She went back to vet and they are going to try to give pain injection later. They found a roundworm in fecal exam but he said she would not be still this bad. Do you think it has something to do with pain of sm (w/o meds) on top of parasite?

They did xray and could not find anything but will look again. Bloodwork only showed slight white blood cell elevation but that could be expected and it was not enough to cause alarm.

Only thing is intestines are very full but xray did not show anything obstructing but that is why she is going to wait to examine again.

I have a call into neurologist but I think karlin is right and it can't be good to not have at least something for pain. Any input

Ella is on the way to the hospital. Luckily its where her neurologist is. The vet wants her to be on fluids and for observation. May do ultrasound tomorrow but will know more later.

Any possible interaction going on with her meds?

I know someone here reported that their dog's SM meds had some interactions with other meds and it created alot of problems. I can't remember all the details though.

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry this is happening. I'm sure they will be able to help her at her Neurologist. I'm thinking of you both and praying for your littlle sweetheart.
Many hugs,:lotsaluv:
Jessie

Oh, I am so sorry about Ella! But at least she will be somewhere that they can watch her and do what they need. I am thinking they need to do more fluids again......

Would the xray show an obstruction? Or would an ultrasound be better. Sorry if you mentioned this already, maybe they are going to do one.

Keeping you and Ella in my prayers.

Back