• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sam's Ashes

Jasper and Holly

I just wanted to see what people think I should do.
When I lost my last Cav Sam 2 years ago I always said I would take his ashes and scatter them on the beach we always went on holidays. He loved it there. But I could never bring myself to take him down with us and set him free. I even found it hard to even go back there for a good while after we lost him as I found it too upsetting. Anyway we are going down again this weekend and my husband thinks we should take him and set him free. I just wondered what you guy's think?
Here he is loving it.
PC020132.jpg

I think it's a really good idea when you'll come to the beach you will remember all the wonderful hours you've had together.
Set him free

I think it's a really good idea when you'll come to the beach you will remember all the wonderful hours you've had together.
Set him free

I agree, when you have set him free, you can think of him being happy in the place he loved to play.

Follow your heart. Somewhere in there (some might call it your gut, your intuition...I call it inner wisdom), somewhere in your inner wisdom you know what you want to do. That is not to say it won't be hard, some of the most joyful moments can also be really heavy, but if you follow your heart you will smile at the outcome.

Do what's right for you...and Sam. You could also pretend like you were just having a conversation with him (or if you feel funny talking out loud, write it down)...What would he tell you to do? What would you tell him? Why would you tell him it has been hard to let him go the past few years? How would he comfort you? Sometimes that can help a lot. You might be amazed at what he has to tell you :)

Good luck!

You have to do what you think best. But if you do scatter him on the beach what a lovely way to spend the day in future to sit there close your eyes and imagine him running across the sand:luv:

Following what others have said I advise you to take your time and not be pressurised by others in what to do, go to the beach, and if its not right for you wait even if it is another two years or more, you must do what you feel is right for you and Sam.

I think everyone has their own way of dealing with loss - we have written in to our wills that when both my husband and myself pass away, we would like our ashes to be scattered together with those of all the dogs, so we will always be together.

I know of someone who has arranged with an undertaker to have her coffin extended by a foot to leave room for the ashes of her dogs to be buried with her. My understanding is that generally the remains of animals are not allowed to be buried on consecrated ground and this may be a way around it!

We have a cabinet in our bedroom which contains the ashes of our dogs, together with a few favourite toys and locks of hair

these are the boxes - we love that they have the photos so it looks like a photo display

original.jpg

we also have a memorial wall

original.jpg

Don't rush a decision as you cannot go back on it - and I would hate for you to scatter his ashes and then regret it. You obviously have lovely memories of Sam running on that beach. Maybe take the ashes with you and see how you feel?

I'm sure Margaret wouldn't mind me saying, I know she scatters the ashes of her dogs at the beach near her holiday home in Norfolk where they run and play - it's lovely to think of them all together again there.

I do not mean to be negative, but where I am it's illegal to scatter ashes in most places, your laws may be different. You may want to check in advance if you aren't sure.

Whatever you choose to do, don't rush. You should be at peace with your decision before starting. I have my border collie's collar and one day I'll take his tags off and donate it to a shelter, but I haven't been able to do it yet, and it's been 2 years.

That would be a hard decision. ON one hand you'd like to keep him with you, on the other, what a lovely place for you to leave him.

But, remember this.......Sam is forever with you, because you hold him in your heart. So, no matter what you decide, he is with you. He'll never leave because you hold all those wonderful memories in a special place just for him in your heart.

Thanks everyone for posting. I have decided to leave him at home as I'm still not ready to let him go yet. I do really appreciate your comments. I will let you know when I decide the time is right.

I know how you feel.... When my previous dogs passed (a Lab mix and a Staffie mix) I knew exactly where to scatter their ashes and felt right doing it. With Jade it has been different. I can't let her go and am keeping her ashes for now and maybe for ever. It is different for each of us and I think for each precious dog we lose.

Follow your heart. Somewhere in there (some might call it your gut, your intuition...I call it inner wisdom), somewhere in your inner wisdom you know what you want to do. That is not to say it won't be hard, some of the most joyful moments can also be really heavy, but if you follow your heart you will smile at the outcome.

Do what's right for you...and Sam. You could also pretend like you were just having a conversation with him (or if you feel funny talking out loud, write it down)...What would he tell you to do? What would you tell him? Why would you tell him it has been hard to let him go the past few years? How would he comfort you? Sometimes that can help a lot. You might be amazed at what he has to tell you :)

Good luck!

Very touching post Brooklyn's mom!

If you don't feel ready then don't rush it. You'll know what do someday and if it means setting him free or keeping him close then only you will know. Personally if it was me I'd find it difficult to scatter the ashes, but thats just me.

How about bringing some of his ashes to the beach and keeping some in a keepsake box in a special place in your home?

If Sasha or Chamberlain should pass on while my husband is still in the service than we will have them cremated to bring with us until we move home and can bury them under a tree with a memorial bench and a marker. I do not think I could sprinkle them on a beach or out to sea. I like having a marker or memorial to see, feel, and talk to.

Follow your heart. There is no right time or right way to do these things.

I scatter the ashes of my cavaliers on the beach where we have a holiday home.
I took William's ashes with me when I went up last week and have returned home again with them. I was not ready for that last act of letting go

He will join his Sire, his grandmother, his great grandfather, his half brothers, his nephew and many other much loved cavaliers ( and one little japanese chin ) who in my mind's eye play on the beach together, but it will be at a time that feels right for me.

I think like most of you have said I will know when the time is right. I got myself all upset going down last week just thinking about it. So I guess I'm not ready yet. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Back