Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "hyperactive" dog??

Post Thanks / Like

I love all these stories!

Mindy's mom, I love the agility class story. Rylie must love those classes. I've often wondered if I've missed the mark by not taking Claire to a class like that.

It must be a Cav trait to do the whole body wiggle. Claire will get wound up and her whole butt moves so much that when she wags her tail you can here it 'thunk' on the side of her body. We love it!

I do try to wear her out in the evening so she'll not wake me at the crack of dawn.
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Its funny you mention this, Coco and I get the same sort of comments! To be honest I sometimes feel like they don't know what they are talking about, because when we meet new people and go out places Coco is HAPPY which looks like hyper. I just laugh it off and say "yep she is just a pup!" At home she is lazy hah.

Lets enjoy our "hyper" puppies while they are still young!

Post Thanks / Like

Your absolutely right, she's just a puppy and will calm as she grows. Some puppies are more exciteable than others. It's the different personality types. Our AKC standard states that the Cavalier should have an outgoing and friendly personality. Sounds like she's got it. I'd rather have her this way, than for her to be some shy little creature that piddles on the floor and shakes violently when anyone approaches. I've seen those as well. And just between you and me, It seems to me that the ones that really have this outgoing personality end up being smarter and easier to train once they mature a little and learn to focus. They become very intent on doing what you want them to do. She's a people pleaser! I would start teaching her some basic obedience commands like sit and stay, so if she gets overly excited you can calm her. It'll also help her learn to focus. Good luck with her!

Post Thanks / Like

haha....I love the spitfire comment. Just enjoy it while it lasts...in a few years she will be all grown up and act like a lady. You can try to bribe her with treats when she is greeting someone so she will hold still but honestly I like a young dog to love all over a stranger. It is what make cavaliers so great!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad to hear you've been concerned about this problem! I've been wondering for ages is my pup's hyperactivity normal. Lady is 5 months and is exactly the same - completely hyperactive or asleep on my lap.

She is not particularly interested in other dogs, but goes CRAZY over people. Doing the wiggle bum dance and jumping up and licking. And she stays that crazy ALL THE TIME.

I recently had a friend over to stay and she's not a dog person. She was really taken back by Lady's high energy and couldn't handle it.

I'm trying to ask guests not to give her attention unless she is sitting. But who can help but love on this little attention seeker.

I hope she calms down a bit as an adult. But I wouldn't trade in her personality for anything. She's gorgeous.
    Matilda
    Mummy to Lady (Blenheim Cavalier) and Lola (Silver Tabby British Shorthair)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
    I've been wondering for ages is my pup's hyperactivity normal. Lady is 5 months and is exactly the same - completely hyperactive or asleep on my lap.
    I always tell people that Cavaliers have 2 speeds- zero or sixty mph! Even at 7 1/2, Clancy is the same. He spends a lot more time at zero these days, but let him see a squirrel or a rabbit or a bird, and look out!
    ~Denise and Clancy, Dillon (gone to The Bridge), and baby Oliver