• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Please help! Ella still not well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No words of wisdom, just to let you know that my doggies and I are all thinking of you and Ella and are hoping for the best. Hoping to get a very positive update soon - please!!!

I am so sorry to read this! I will keep both of you in my prayers.

I second the suggestion of an obstruction. Your story sounds EXACTLY like what our cat went through a year ago. She stopped eating, was very lethargic, repeated vomiting, etc. Her vet did several x-rays and ultrasound. She was given de-worming medication, antibiotics, extensive blood / stool tests, IV fluids, you name it. Finally my vet thought everything else but hidden obstruction had been ruled out and said we needed to do an abdominal exploratory surgery as some obstructions don't show on x-ray or ultrasound. I agreed as it was clear it was the last option.

It turned out there was A TINY RED BARBIE SHOE wedged in her large intestine. She must have swallowed it whole as it was providing a complete block. The shoe came out perfectly intact and Bridgette came home from the hospital and returned to her old self within days.

I know Ella's receiving wonderful care now and that you and her doctors are doing everything you can to help her. I just thought I'd tell you my story as one more thing to consider. I'll be thinking of you!!!

I have no words of advice but wanted to let you know that you and Ella are in my thoughts and prayers. One of mine just spent 6 days in the ICU with an initial unknown illness that finally ended up being diagnosed as a severe liver infection. I know how awful the unknown is and the waiting for a diagnosis so they can start getting better. She has only been home for a few days and I still wake up every hour to make sure she is still breathing. We will be thinking of you and sending good thoughts Ella's way!

Thanks everyone. She is still in icu not eating. Going to do ultrasound. Intestines are enlarged but they don't think obstruction. I talked to my step dad (who is a radiologist) because I was playing the guessing game. I asked dr. If they would do surgery from ultrasound and she said it would be more likely to do biopsy??? Cancer? He said it could be some itis but then I talked later about barbie shoe. She was just with my nephews but who knows. He said his partner had a dotson that ate a childs inflatable raft! Its not funny and quite scary when I see her shaking but I have to know she is in good hands.

He said with any bacteria or something they should get better and if she isn't, they would probably do surgery and they do it all the time in humans. I asked because they say no obstruction because everything seems to be flowing normally. (Must have given her barium). She is at least being monitored so I know I just have to talk to day doctor in the AM.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Oh Ann, I'm sorry that this is continuing to go on.

My brothers dog went through this last year. They did exploratory surgery and found nothing. This dog has eaten so much stuff in the past and passed it all (underwear socks, she swallows them whole)......she was so sick, but she came out of it. Their kids sold a bunch of their things to help their folks pay for the time in the hospital and the surgery.

I just want you to know I am thinking of you both and praying like crazy for your sweet little Ella. I have such tears over this. Hugs to you both.

Hey anne. If she has pooped in the last two days the chance of serious obatruction is smaller i think. if she doesnt poop than there must be something stuck.. So if she hasnt pooped then i wonder why they say "normal flow".... I really hope you get answers today. It could also be a vserious virus of some.. That will make them shake and not eat and make them so sick til immubesystem fights it off. In horses a rhinovirus will do that... I think sometimes they do bloodculture ti find out. My horse in the day was un the hospital for a week shaking and barely hanging on and they had no idea what was up... Then he pulled through overnight. Ofcourse elle is a dog but i hate to even think of the t or c word they mentioned to you...

Just to say I am thinking of you and Ella. Sending healing thoughts and lots of :hug:

I have just read this and I'm so sorry Anne. Poor Ella doesn't deserve this. Please keep us posted and until she is better, I will be praying for her!

Please keep us updated on Ella. Both of you are having a bad time with this, and hopefully the doctor(s) will figure it out soon.

The only time Sophie vomited was from a mild intestinal blockage. I had purchased a rawhide chew from Whole Foods, but it was not made or processed in the USA, and this is what caused the trouble. It finally digested before the time they allotted for me to bring her back.

They did a biopsy on my girl when she was in the ICU last week and I immediately freaked and thought cancer but that is how they discovered her liver infection so apparently the biopsy can be used to diagnose other things as well. Still sending you good thoughts, I just went through this last week and know how absolutely agonizing it is.

Thank you for the update....

I did not know Ella was in surgery. Saying many many prayers. Did they find an obstruction?

I don't know any more unfortunately - Lynn posted and I've put it in the Paws across the world thread.

Thank you all so much. She is going to have surgery and either they will not find anything which then they will put her on a feeding tube, open the intestine and maybe cut part out? It depends on what they find. She is concerned with her being on prednisone hindering healing process but felt it needed to be done. She was going to ask surgeon to use different sutures (spelling).

Her intestines were enlarges and looked tangled or out of place. I don't know, just trying to absorb all of this. Since she hasn't been eating among other things and in pain, it had to go to this.

Thank you and I will keep posted when I know more.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I didn't want to post it before because I didn't want to worry her, but Ella's symptoms sounded just like Oliver's when he had an obstruction and ended up losing two feet of his intestines that had turned gangrenous. That happened when he was two. He is now 10+ and is doing jus fine, eating a regular diet and enjoying life. Sure hope Ella has as positive an outcome from her surgery , whatever the diagnosis.

Thanks for updating us Anne, so sorry Ella had to have surgery but do hope they finally find out what is going wrong and can sort her out xx

I'm so sorry to hear this.I can't believe she now has to contend with this after everything she's been through.
Hoping and praying for a successful outcome.
Sins

Gracie and I are both praying....

Gracie can sense that I am concerned about someone and is being extra sweet. She so wants to meet Ella and her mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back