• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Please help! Ella still not well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anniemac

On the way to vet. Ella still vomitting and was hiding in closet. Could not find her. She is crying and I had a very hard time even giving medicine this morning. Talked to vet and he said to bring her in (would have anyway). Said he will tell partner to maybe take xrays and bloodwork. She has been vomitting since Monday morning. Any suggestions on what this could be besides stomach bug?

Should I ask for them to look at anything specific in bloodwork. I hate to see her crying. I'm really scared.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Hey sweetie!!! I am here

I am wondering about poisonous stuff in her or pancreatitis. I wish I was near you to be there with you. I know you are terrified for Ella right now. Main thing is to try to be calm for her and get fluids in her. Call me if you need me.

Poor Ella, I'm sure the vet will do whatever tests are needed to find out what's wrong and get her back on the road to recovery quickly. Will be thinking of you both this evening.

Did the Vet rule out pancreatitis?

Vet said bloodwork did not show something that would suggest that but said they could still have it w/o this coming up in bloodwork. Since she is not drinking and still not well, vet said to go to hospital. They are keeping her on fluids and said it could be 3 days. May do ultrasound tomorrow which would give a better picture. Seeing if reacts to whatever they give her first. I hope its nothing and I can't believe I'm saying this but this has cost me over $1000.

She has to be on fluids but lord knows why its that much w/o ultrasound.

Things really hit when a woman came in panicked b/c her dog (britney spaniel) was not breathing and when the dog came in with help holding her, it was the hardest thing to see. I heard something like a heartattack but this seems like nothing when a dog comes in looking like nothing I've seen before.

Oh wow. I have no advice, but just wanted to say that I was thinking of you and sending all my healing thoughts your way. Good luck and give Ella a big pet from Brooklyn. We hope she gets better fast!!!

Ella update. I think SM has to make things complicated

Ella is in the ICU still. One thing that concerns me and I talked (emailed) neurologist yesterday but he is out of town on a triathalon, is her not being on her medication for SM. She spit up again last night at the ICU, but I would think being at the same hospital as neurologist, they would know a little more about her medication etc. I asked because I was concerned especially about her not taking prednisone. They have been able to give her pain medication but they are saying she has not perked up and that concerns them for this long being like this.

I talked to the ICU doctor this morning because she mentioned maybe doing an ultrasound but was not pushing it. I know this sounds terrible but I have spent over $1000 on this and an ultrasound would be almost $500. I asked if she thought it was neccesary I would of course add to the care credit card I got last night, but I really think it is something combined with SM. They said she is still real lethargic and has not perked up. I told them that I thought she is in pain anyway (it is managed on medication) so being off of lyrica, prednisone (got a little tramadol), and prilosec has to contribute to her behavior. She told me they would give her prednisone and I am going to go tonight to see if I can feed her.

They can't compare her behavior with others because being of treatment for SM is going to make her seem uncomfortable. She isnt scratching, shaking her head, yelping, etc. but she is definately showing pain.

Gastrointitis (spelling) is what they believe but since this has been going on since monday at 4am it should be somewhat managed. I think the ringworm combined with not taking SM medication compound the issue. When I gave her the medication she vomited so I wonder if there are withdrawals also. I know on some medication for humans there are.

Praying so hard.....

Is there any way to give her the medication she needs with injection to bypass the tummy??

Is there any way to give her the medication she needs with injection to bypass the tummy??

I called and they are giving her prednisone. I also asked dr. Brofmans partner dr. Bergman (neurologist) could examine her and consult.

For those who don't know...Ann is very special to me

She has been my special friend when I first joined the board....we both live in the same state about 2.5 hours apart. She and Ella have become very important to me personally in ways that are hard to explain. Feel helpless right now... but just feeling her painful battle so much. She and Ella are my heroes.:hug:

She has been my special friend when I first joined the board....we both live in the same state about 2.5 hours apart. She and Ella have become very important to me personally in ways that are hard to explain. Feel helpless right now... but just feeling her painful battle so much. She and Ella are my heroes.:hug:

That is so sweet. I know I was very excited when you joined and hope one day I can meet gracie. You know I feel she is in the best place. Its tough because you have to trust professionals but I also feel better once I called and asked to have neurologist look at her. They told me dr. Bergman would only call if something needs to be addressed and I called to get update and was told that he is going to call me.

Now I wonder how this could be neurological? How can she go from running to the ocean to this? Wouldn't a dog with SM not just suddenly stop eating and vomiting? It has to be because of the combination. Plus she still has not had any bowel movements and I heard yesterday her intestines and colon were full even though stomach was empty.

If only her neurologist did not move to matthews so her opthomologist would be at same location as neurologist and cardiologist. At least I believe its not heart related because the doctor in icu checked that.

Hi Anne,
I just saw this and I'm so sorry Ella is having such a difficult time. I hope they find out what's wrong and she feels better soon. Thinking of you :)

Oh Anne I'm so sorry I've only just picked this up - poor Precious Ella - I'm so very sorry, you must be so desperately worried about her :(:(:(

I don't really have any advice for you - the only thing I can think if she's not had a bowel movement is that there is an obstruction - has she been x-rayed or is that why they want to do the ultrasound?

With SM they can take a sudden downturn, and if she is not having all her medication it could be that she is so lethargic from that - and she could have withdrawal like people get. Being that blocked up would make her feel very miserable too.

Sending you our love, please keep us posted and know you are both in our thoughts xx

Thanks nicki! They did an xray and couldn't see anything. Said they may see how she acts today to do ultrasound but I thought they better talk to neurologist. Will know after 6.

So sorry Anne!

My computer has been down so I am really behind on things... but if you recently went to the beach... Just a thought... I have been told that drinking ocean water can make a dog really sick. Is it possible she drank or some how swallowed some sea water?
I'm not totally sure why it makes them so sick but something to do with the large amounts of salt in the water. Also the parasites and bacteria... I was told that a long time ago when I used to go to the beach a lot.

I hope Ella feels better soon....

Oh my god I just read this, poor Ella... I am so sorry Anne!! God... Not fair for Ella at all. When I went in with Blondie vomiting blood 6 months ago a woman brought in her dog as I was waiting, she had come home and the dog collapsed. It was dying in her arms and I heard the woman scream when they told the dog passed from the examination room, it was TERRIBLE!! Not the most comforting situation for you to be in..
I have no idea what could be wrong with Ella, but I assume being of meds makes her miserable, I can only hope they can give her something for pain in her bloodstream?? And maybe it is an obstruction. She can have an obstruction just the poop being stuck and hard.. I don't know if xrays would show that or the ultrasound... But I know her belly would be hard and probably swell a bit..
The woman at the tanning salon told me her dog had that and they had to go in..
Dont u have insurance? Please email me anytime!!!!! i have my iphone so can reply right away..

When Coco went through her ordeal we spend $125 at the neruo, another 100 at the vet for initial testing, $50 for food/medication, $400 for an ultrasound, then another $50 to re run blood testing. $700 later she seems to be acting normal ...these guys really drain our pockets because we care so much for them.

Hang in there. Coco and I are thinking about you and Ella. I hope they figure out what is wrong soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back