• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rabies Vaccine

eg93

I want to sign my new 4 month old puppy up for a Canine Good Citizen class. The class requires proof of a rabies vaccination. I asked my breeder if it would be okay to vaccinate her before the recommended 6 months of age and she said she did not recommend it. Just curious to hear your opinions on the issue. I really want to put her in this class - but if the vaccine poses a health risk this young I will not risk it.

Talk to the trainer, they may allow you allow you to join with the understanding that your dog is too young.

I talked to the trainer and she suggested I go through with it anyhow. She says that puppies are O.K to have them at 10-12 weeks old now. I do not believe this to be true. I guess I will just have to wait it out.

I would wait until at least 16 weeks. Is rabies endemic (common) in your area?
We haven't had a rabies case in our area in about 50 years, so we vaccinate, but the actual risk is virtually non-existent and most people who work with animals know that.

Odd... Where I am at Rabies is still a constant problem. (Mainly in wild animal). but I don't know any vet that would recommend it before 16 weeks of age. I would double check with your vet...

She'll be 4 months on May 8th. Rabies is not common where I live. There hasn't been any cases in years. But, still, most training facilities require it. My breeder doesn't think it's safe to vaccinate her before 5-6 months. I am not completely sure about what I am going to do.

My vet will give a rabies shot at four months but Rylie's breeder strongly recommended waiting until 6 months. I did and I was glad I did because he did have a mild adverse reaction. Even though there is rabies in our area most classes only require rabies here if the dog is over 6 months.

I waited on the rabies vaccine for my boy, as I am not all sure this wasn't the cause of my first cavalier's death.
Can you find another trainer that is more lenient on puppy shots.

4 months is a bit young for the CGC as it is. Isn't the youngest a dog can get certified right at 6 months anyways?

My breeder also wanted me to get the rabies done at 6 months old, and that is what I did.

Thanks for everyone's input. Mindysmom, what kind of reaction did your pup have? I am very scared of that.

Guinness started in training at 13 weeks. Rabies vaccine was required, but they allowed him to start with the understanding that he would be vaccinated when it was appropriate for his age.

Back