• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Fish Oil Capsules for Dogs??

BrooklynMom

Okay, so I have a question that I am not sure anyone can answer here, but I'll try.

Can dogs eat a human type fish oil capsule? (more specifically a wild salmon oil capsule).

I ask because Brooklyn will NOT eat dinner if I put the omega oil on her food. She hates it. But one day I tried giving her one fish oil capsule that I take (the wild salmon oil) and she loved it! I havent done it again, because I am not sure if it is a bad thing to do, but I would much rather do that. than squirt stuff on her food that I know she won't usually eat. Here is what I have, it is gluten and and lactose free too. Each pill is 1000mg.
http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/product.asp?ID=56438

Anyway, not sure if you guys know if it is okay or not. Thoughts??

I'm curious too since that's what I give Piper. I give him the childrens kind though so it's a lower dose. I've been giving it to him once a day with his dinner for over a month now. I just can't see any reason why it would hurt him since it's just fish oil??

It should not do any harm at all to give 1000mg Salmon Oil capsules to a dog. The only thing likely to happen if that doseage is too large for any particular dog is that the surplus oil will come out in their stools. If that happens you will see it glistening in the stools.

I have given 1000 mg EPO capsules to several of my dogs for long periods without any harmful effects that I know of.

I buy them from a reputable retailer in the U>K>

Of course there is another way to give them Omega Oils. Sardines in Oil, not tomato sauce, are very rich in Omega and need only to be given a couple of times a week with their food.

My lot will take absolutely anything that I put into their mouths. They think that pills are treats and line up for them every morning :pi*no:

My two will also eat anything I give them. I use Omega oil on their food everyday and I also give sardines in oil mixed with grated carrot once a week and they go WILD!

I have wondered this too.

I have 1000 mg organic Fish Oil I take, but Claire only weighs 11 lbs, so I've worried about this......perhaps if I just squeezed 1/2 a capsule on her food? I don't want to end up with bathroom issues (the runs or whatnot).

I am hoping it would help her fur......?

You can absolutely give her human supplements (just figure out the right dosage). My cav is 11lbs too :) The recommended dosage for a dog that size is between 200-500mg daily depending on who you ask. I would have no problem giving her the 500mg imo. I (and a few other posters on here buy their dogs supplements from puritanpride.com. They have awesome prices. I get Polly's CoQ10 (30mg), vitamin E (200IU) and a few other things from there. Just got an order delivered today actually! My coworker ordered a bunch of stuff for her dogs too. (y)

Hi Erin, thanks for the reminder. I've ordered stuff off Puritans Pride before. So, I'll have to keep that in mind.

The recommended dosage for a dog that size is between 200-500mg daily depending on who you ask. I would have no problem giving her the 500mg imo. I (and a few other posters on here buy their dogs supplements from puritanpride.com. They have awesome prices. I get Polly's CoQ10 (30mg), vitamin E (200IU) and a few other things from there. Just got an order delivered today actually! My coworker ordered a bunch of stuff for her dogs too. (y)

I'm one that recommended Puritan's Pride - I've used them for dog supplements for 20 years. Good prices and I like the quality control/assays that the company does. I always use "human" meds and supplements when possible as they are generally cheaper and have better quality control.

I don't know where you heard that recommended dosage but I don't think it is correct. I got recommended dosages from a bd. certified veterinary internist and got the same recommendation from two holistic vets. My 7 lb. shih tzu with kidney disease, my 9 lb. shih tzu and my 16 lb Cavalier all get one Puritan's Pride double strength omega 3 capsule per day. They are 1200 mg with 600 mg EPA/DHA. The important part is the EPA/DHA amount (that is the "active" agent), and that is always lower than the actual mg amount of fish oil per capsule. The PP products are also supposedly purified to eliminate mercury. If you have a dog that is prone to pancreatitis and can't handle fats, you may need to be careful with giving fish oil. My dogs also get 50 mg. CoQ10 but they have no heart disease yet. When I had geriatric dogs with heart disease and kidney disease, I gave up to 200 mg. CoQ10 total for a day (not all at once) with no problems and hopefully some benefits. I also give 200 IU of Vitamin E to these same small dogs. I throw the capsules in their food and they eat them with no problem. I had a dog in the past that wouldn't eat the capsules in his food bowl and I just coated them in raw honey and then he ate them right up.

I actually haven't yet started my young Cavalier on any supplements and I'm trying to decide when I will do that. She eats a pretty high quality food. The three other dogs are 8, 10 and 13 years old.

When determining medication and supplement dosages for dogs you actually don't extrapolate using human weight versus dog weight - it's not an exact ratio.

Pat

Hello Pat

Thanks to you mentioning P.P. in a previous post I have been ordered twice from them and have had no problems in shipment to the UK ,takes about 10-14 from placing order.I also give my four Taurine in addition to what you say, any reason not to.?

I'm one that recommended Puritan's Pride - I've used them for dog supplements for 20 years. Good prices and I like the quality control/assays that the company does. I always use "human" meds and supplements when possible as they are generally cheaper and have better quality control.

I don't know where you heard that recommended dosage but I don't think it is correct. I got recommended dosages from a bd. certified veterinary internist and got the same recommendation from two holistic vets. My 7 lb. shih tzu with kidney disease, my 9 lb. shih tzu and my 16 lb Cavalier all get one Puritan's Pride double strength omega 3 capsule per day. They are 1200 mg with 600 mg EPA/DHA. The important part is the EPA/DHA amount (that is the "active" agent), and that is always lower than the actual mg amount of fish oil per capsule. The PP products are also supposedly purified to eliminate mercury. If you have a dog that is prone to pancreatitis and can't handle fats, you may need to be careful with giving fish oil. My dogs also get 50 mg. CoQ10 but they have no heart disease yet.

Pat

Thank you Pat for the Purtian Pride rec, it's been great! And you can't beat the prices! I got the recommended dosage amounts from cavalierhealth.org and the Whole Dog Journal. Cavalierhealth lists their recommended dosage at 400mg for salmon oil, 30mg for CoQ10 and 100IU's of vitamin E. The Whole Dog Journal says to give 400-600mg of EFA's per 20lbs of body weight. I am using the salmon oil in a liquid form that i squirt onto Polly's food. It says to give 1/2-1 pump of oil daily (grizzlypetproducts.com) and says the 8oz bottle I have (per pump) contains..
DHA - 166 mg
EPA - 147 mg
Omega-3 - 478mg
Omega-6 - 55 mg

It's all a little confusing...maybe the recomended dosage amounts listed on those sites are referring to EPA/DHA? Polly just turned 2, has no heart problems and is on a great diet (raw and ziwipeak) but I am giving them to her as a preventative measure in hopes to help keep her heart nice and strong :)

Last edited:
Back