• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Daisy at Emergency Vet 4.30

Oh my word!!

Thank God she is ok!! How upseting for you. I'm feel so lucky to have two 24 hour emergency animal hospitals within 25 mins from me. It really is like having a 2 year old around. They get into everything! :roll:

Sorry Brian, I have only just caught up with Dangerous Daisys events! I am so pleased she is alright. I would think about finding another vet that is available 24 hours a day. That is a shocking service! You can almost predict if there is going to be an emergency it will be out of working hours !

I think it's immoral not to take an animal on because of "Lunch" and "full" and all those reasons, when they are open or available, they should do whatever it takes to accomodate even if they are not open. An animals life is on the line for gods sake. Thank god I live in NYC. I would've been jumping out of my skin. So glad she is allright Brian!!!

Oh my gosh Brian...I am so sorry to read about all this. My heart was pounding as I poured through the whole post, and happily got to the point where she was alright!! Whew!

I am so glad she is okay. :lotsaluv:

Hi Brian, just saw this thread about Daisy this morning, thank goodness she is okay. With Cavaliers and their mischievous and curious nature they certainly keep us on our toes!!:)

On a serious note I'm pretty appalled by the attitude of your vet. I would have thought the practice would have an emergency system in place. I hope you manage to get this sorted with your vet or failing that find another vet who does.

So sorry to read about Daisy Brian, but glad you were finally able to sort it out yourself, not a very co-operative vet and I would certainly be having words especially if they were your regular vet, we are so lucky our vets is a 24 hours one and only just last week had to rush Jasper to it with a very frightening scare.

I am glad you found the cause and the issue was resolved. On the plus side, it surely helps to know now that she cannot be allowed out without supervision if she is capable of gnawing like this -- if she had swallowed that piece of jagged plastic, that could easily have caused serious damage or a fatality. She is only being a dog -- it is normal for them to gnaw -- but if you have a chewer like this, it is really important to manage what they have access to (for example, cannot be left with free access to the home when no one is there -- they can chew electrical cords) and also to make sure they always have appropriate chew toys they like.

On the vets -- FWIW I really don't think 'having words' is very productive; as they clearly had to triage cases. If you rang so many vets and they ALL could not take you and you had no idea what she had swallowed if anything (and it turned out to be nothing) -- then an emergency vets will prioritise their emergency cases as they must do. They can only provide the service they are equipped to provide and it was a bank holiday weekend as well. Other people also clearly had serious emergencies that needed more immediate care than what you were able to describe and they were in the end, right.

In such a case I actually would just have taken her in rather than waited at home, and hoped they could squeeze her in -- she would also have been where emergency treatment could be provided had she had a further failure. They probably made the (accurate) guess that if she was pawing at her mouth and you could not find anything that she was unlikely to have swallowed anything but to either still have something lodged in her mouth or have spat it out or been stung etc.

In all there are several things probably learned from the experience that will help you to keep her from getting into a similar situation. (y)

Only just picked this up Brian. So glad dangerous Daisy is ok, she does keep you on your toes ha ha :smile:

I'm really glad she's alright! Just read all this! What a crazy day for you guys! I agree with everyone who said they're like little toddlers sometimes. Ruby had a stage where she wanted to put every little rock in her mouth! Yikes! :)

Jessie and Ruby

Back