Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cavs in pairs

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Cavs in pairs

I always seem to see cavs in pairs. Is a lone dog at a disadvantage? I don't think I can have another one tbh

Post Thanks / Like

Tess is so cute. But I must warn you (and you'll see by looking at my signature) that cavaliers are addictive. I certainly couldn't stop at one, or even two, or even three!! I had to have four! Oz, the youngest, loves every one of them. Maddie and Riley are half-sisters and are inseperable, they are like velcro dogs. Oliver is the oldest and is more aloof. He keeps himself separated from the other three a lot. He might have been happier having only one other dog as a companion. I think having three others overwhelmed him. But out of all of them, he plays with Oz, the youngest. I think I'll always have at least two so they can keep each other company. Four is definitely a lot!
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

I know I didn't start out intending to have more than one and think most people are probably the same. Jake was 14 months old when we decided to get Shelby and when they were 7 and 8 we decided to bring in our Micah. I love having multiples!! The biggest advantage is they are so fun together and the biggest disadvantage is most definitely expense!!! Dentals, annual exams, food, insurance, everything is more expensive....but the good totally outweighs the bad
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's hard to have only one. They just look so cute as pairs (or groups). Guinness (my first) was happy before Thistle joined us, but he definitely loves his sister, and wouldn't want to be without her now. They curl up on the couch together while I'm gone, it's so sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

I am already plotting adding another Cavalier to our group.
    Mommy to....

Chamberlain (10 month Male Blenheim Cavalier)
    Sasha (6 year old Female Great Pyrennes)

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 Cavaliers, but this is for the first time. Previous to that I have had four as singletons and I don't think they have missed company. Oliver, the oldest of my current two, was on his own for 7 years and didn't seem to have a problem. I do work from home, which means we are in each other's company most of the time, and they go more or less everywhere with me (including camping holidays in a tent!).

After long and hard thought, I got Aled, my younger rescue, not because I felt Oliver needed canine company, but because he has been a very special dog and I wanted continuity when he died (he's almost 10), and if Aled gets to a good age as well I will be in my middle or late 70s when he goes and will have to look honestly at my circumstances (health, finance and so on) before I decide whether or not to have another dog; and of course I also wanted to give a home to a rescue. Aled is very dependent on Oliver; Oliver gets on well with Aled but is still very self-contained - they don't play together or chase around off lead (Aled rushes after Oliver, but Oliver does his own thing). Adjusting to having 2 dogs was a learning curve for both Oliver and me - I almost resented losing my quiet life with Oliver, much as I now love Aled. The down side of having two is that I obedience train my Cavaliers and knew I wouldn't have time to train both of them, so Oliver had to retire as I felt Aled would profit from being trained. We travel by public transport and I couldn't manage two plus luggage without a coupler!

Interestingly, all my Cavaliers have related closely to me and not been very interested in playing with other dogs (even other Cavaliers!), so I don't think they really missed another dog in the house. So don't feel you are depriving your dog by not getting another - just be realistic about what is right for your circumstances.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had one for 12 years and always said we should of had two. Now I have Two and love it. They are great for each other.
    Deb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you think Tess would take to another one? do they adjust quickly to having a new addition? Would I have to get one of a similar age to tess?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Did you say Tess hasn't been desexed yet? If she hasn't I would not be getting another addition yet. Just looking back No wonder they were checking each other out if she hasn't been desexed. Tess and Charlie, I would be careful if I were you otherwise you'll have puppies on the scene or is that your intention?
    Deb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

I am another that really decided on one Cavalier ,now we have four and I enjoy every one of them and they all enjoy each other .

Thanks

Poppy ,Daisy, Rosie and Lily.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T