• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavs in pairs

robbieswan

I always seem to see cavs in pairs. Is a lone dog at a disadvantage? I don't think I can have another one tbh

Tess is so cute. But I must warn you (and you'll see by looking at my signature) that cavaliers are addictive. I certainly couldn't stop at one, or even two, or even three!! I had to have four! Oz, the youngest, loves every one of them. Maddie and Riley are half-sisters and are inseperable, they are like velcro dogs. Oliver is the oldest and is more aloof. He keeps himself separated from the other three a lot. He might have been happier having only one other dog as a companion. I think having three others overwhelmed him. But out of all of them, he plays with Oz, the youngest. I think I'll always have at least two so they can keep each other company. Four is definitely a lot!

I know I didn't start out intending to have more than one ;) and think most people are probably the same. Jake was 14 months old when we decided to get Shelby and when they were 7 and 8 we decided to bring in our Micah. I love having multiples!! The biggest advantage is they are so fun together and the biggest disadvantage is most definitely expense!!! Dentals, annual exams, food, insurance, everything is more expensive....but the good totally outweighs the bad :)

It's hard to have only one. They just look so cute as pairs (or groups). Guinness (my first) was happy before Thistle joined us, but he definitely loves his sister, and wouldn't want to be without her now. They curl up on the couch together while I'm gone, it's so sweet.

I have 2 Cavaliers, but this is for the first time. Previous to that I have had four as singletons and I don't think they have missed company. Oliver, the oldest of my current two, was on his own for 7 years and didn't seem to have a problem. I do work from home, which means we are in each other's company most of the time, and they go more or less everywhere with me (including camping holidays in a tent!).

After long and hard thought, I got Aled, my younger rescue, not because I felt Oliver needed canine company, but because he has been a very special dog and I wanted continuity when he died (he's almost 10), and if Aled gets to a good age as well I will be in my middle or late 70s when he goes and will have to look honestly at my circumstances (health, finance and so on) before I decide whether or not to have another dog; and of course I also wanted to give a home to a rescue. Aled is very dependent on Oliver; Oliver gets on well with Aled but is still very self-contained - they don't play together or chase around off lead (Aled rushes after Oliver, but Oliver does his own thing). Adjusting to having 2 dogs was a learning curve for both Oliver and me - I almost resented losing my quiet life with Oliver, much as I now love Aled. The down side of having two is that I obedience train my Cavaliers and knew I wouldn't have time to train both of them, so Oliver had to retire as I felt Aled would profit from being trained. We travel by public transport and I couldn't manage two plus luggage without a coupler!

Interestingly, all my Cavaliers have related closely to me and not been very interested in playing with other dogs (even other Cavaliers!), so I don't think they really missed another dog in the house. So don't feel you are depriving your dog by not getting another - just be realistic about what is right for your circumstances.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Do you think Tess would take to another one? do they adjust quickly to having a new addition? Would I have to get one of a similar age to tess?

Thanks

Did you say Tess hasn't been desexed yet? If she hasn't I would not be getting another addition yet. Just looking back No wonder they were checking each other out if she hasn't been desexed. Tess and Charlie, I would be careful if I were you otherwise you'll have puppies on the scene or is that your intention?

Hi

I am another that really decided on one Cavalier ,now we have four and I enjoy every one of them and they all enjoy each other .

Thanks

Poppy ,Daisy, Rosie and Lily. :)

I have three cavaliers.:D
If you just have one pet,and she gets plenty of time and attention,then one is enough for many people.
The more dogs you add to your home,the less attention you can give each one individually.
Three lots of pet insurance is expensive,feeding three is expensive,as is grooming products and the effort involved in maintaining them in good coat.
The workload involved in multiple dogs is a heavy one,washing dog blankets,beds,crates etc..not to mention their exercise needs.
Above all else,when taking on multiple cavaliers,you need to be aware of health issues within the breed.
I have one four year old with Syringomyelia(SM),a common inherited neurological condition,where cavaliers develop fluid filled cavities on their spinal cord and can cost up to £1,000 per year in medication costs for the uninsured.
The decision to add more cavaliers to a household is not one that should be taken lightly and only choose a cavalier from parents who are fully health tested, which means at a minimum, both parents mri scanned,cardiologist heart tested and eye tested.
If you can't find such a puppy,then maybe consider taking a rescue cavalier who has been spayed/neutered.There are cavaliers of all ages in dire need of a loving home as rescues are being inundated with surrenders due to the economic downturn.
They're a wonderful little breed and adapt to family life very quickly.
Sins

I am another who had one cavalier for 10 years and added another nearly a year ago, it was a very big decision for us to make with such a big age difference but has worked out really well and has brought back a spark into our older cavaliers life, he was getting quite a couch potato, they do not cuddle up together in the house and still get on much better outside, but the joy on our older cavaliers face when he sees the younger one in the morning and his little tail is wagging so fast you think he is going to take off is a delight to see. Pet insurance is a must with this breed and cover for life, our oldest one has MVD which is another big health problem in this breed and the tablets that he takes cost £1.00 each and he at the moment takes one a day. They are a wonderful breed and knowing about all the health issues I still could not imagine having another breed.

Yep.....me too!!!! Looking to add a second

We are looking for a boy.... we know it is best for Gracie to have a companion and we are so looking forward to having a second Cavvie. They are so cute when playing together and just feel like the house needs more activity.

BUT....It is a HUGE commitment and I think Karlin has some very good pointers about getting a second dog. We have thought about it over several months and so not a rash decision. But it must be the right dog. We had a chance for one Cavalier male and felt something was up when we were pressured to pick him up right away. Most important thing is to take your time to find the best possible breeder who can provide as many health documentation as possible.

If you only have one, please make sure you do not have to leave your Cavvie alone for long periods regularly. They like to be with their humans and/or other dogs.

We now have 3 cavaliers! It is very hard not get more than one, however the costs should be considered before deciding.
We have one who is grade 5. That costs so much in prescription charges per month, then for all of them you have to consider the heartworm/flea meds every month!

In saying that the unconditional love they give is definitely worth every cent spent on them!!

I just have the one, and I know he's more than enough for me! I would actually feel bad getting a second, no matter how cute they are, just because I wouldn't want to have to split my attention I give Helio with another puppy! icon_blshing He's my little baby, and he's spoiled rotten, and I love it that way! (So does he! :lol:) I live with my parents though, and we have a family dog who's a little older, and Helio and him are very best friends, so I think he's happy to have another dog to play with. But we took him on vacation, where the other dog didn't come, and he was still just as happy, he's such a happy-go-lucky boy! Maybe if I moved out I would consider getting a second dog, but I like having just him right now.

Back