• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

2 Cavaliers and a new baby

nikkipants

Hey all!
I'm in need of help :[ I have 2 Cavaliers...one of them is 3 and the other is 2. They're awesome dogs! We just had a baby and he is 4 months old. The dogs love him enough, but they have been misbehaving since he came along. I find pee and poop in the house randomly and I let them outside to go potty plenty of times a day. And today was just uncool. I sat down on the couch and I saw that there was something wet trailing from the top of the couch down to the cushions and it was pee! They've never done anything like this before. Of course, I don't know which dog did it and I am just really sad that they are behaving this way. Any ideas of what I can do to fix this problem? I will try anything. I really want them to be back to themselves again.
I will also let you guys know that my dogs have been recieving plenty of attention...the same as before, if not more, due to the fact that we know they are needy and need reassurance.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have any experience with this, but maybe you need to go back to potty-training days and give them less freedom? Maybe put them in an x-pen when you can't supervise them directly?

Sorry can't help you but someone on here will. Maybe they are marking their territory?? Happy new baby! Hope they get back to normal for you soon.

With all the new smells they are probably marking their territory. Unfortunately the only way to stop it is catch them in the act and give them hell. I find nothing wrong with letting them spend more time outside while you are a new mom. It is a tough job and soon enough you will have more energy.

Looks like someone have same problem with me .. hahaha ..

New Adventure !!

Usually if my puppy peeing or pooping .. I'll just quick hold her and bring her to my bathroom and wait her to pee or poo again, it's going to take a time. Little messy for a few days but after that, they will know where to pooping or peeing.
Also I didn't put my pet inside the cage .. I'm just let them free in my house ..

It's like next time they gonna just pee or poo in the bathroom because if they pee or pooping on the other place you going to disturb them .. hahaha .. None of living things like to be disturb while peeing or pooping .. Even myself .. LoL

Hope this can help =)
And also don't forget to praise and cheers them if they doing the right things !!

I think they are marking territory as well and all you can do is try to reassure them as you have been and try to get them out as often as possible. when I married I had a 16 year old cat and was just about ready to deliver my baby. when I did deliver my cat pooped under the baby's crib and pee'd in my husbands running shoes :) I think she was just saying they may be here but she was still top "dog"

It is not uncommon for dogs to get anxious over something that brings such a major change as a new baby -- they make loud disturbing high pitched noises, which can be upsetting to dogs not used to this, and are a strange new object. Anxiety is often expressed in household accidents.

To begin with I think as others suggest that it would be wise to not give them the freedom of the house to be where you cannot keep an eye on them at all times. And of course do NOT scold or punish for this behaviour as it can make the situation 500% worse. (y)

I'd also make sure they have quiet secure away-from-baby place they can go -- eg a covered crate to retreat to with toys, well away from the main baby areas. Also it would be wise to get an xpen now if you do not have one -- dogs and baby/toddler will need to be separated when no one is sitting right there with them all, and dogs need a safe penned off place for time outs from small kids. :)

There are some great links as well as some book suggestions for bringing up kids and dogs together here:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?9729-Kids-toddlers-babies-and-dogs-can-they-mix

And -- I just did a search, and here is a perfect answer from trainer Victoria Stilwell to exactly your issue (who pretty much expresses many of the same points we have! :)). I've just added it to the link above as she touches on all the main issues of owning dogs and having young kids or a new baby in a single post:

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/its-me-or-dog/ask-victoria/new-baby.html

Hello & congrats

I see someone here is experiencing what I had a few years ago!!!

My male shephers(Elvis) used to behave same when my son(Bardia) arrived, I guess it's a matter of territory rather than anything else!!

Anyway, this is my way(which is worked), put them in a crate in a far place from your baby, after 2 or 3 days start to change their crate place and move it near the baby's room little by little. Even ask your child's doctor and if he does not have allergies, make dogs to sleep in their crate just next to the baby for some nights... I'm sure the problem will be disappear!!!

Back