Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cavalier out door show scene

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default The cavalier out door show scene

Just noticed a Photo of an Out Door Cavalier Show where so many of the Cavaliers were in Cages and Covered by Blankets.

Is this the Best way for Cavaliers to be spending their Day since it just been announced in a German Study that Cavaliers are a BRACHCEPHALIC Breed

That this is an Inherited Condition in our Cavalier Breed,that Cavaliers are Pre-disposed to it ,due to the Comparative Short Length of the Cavaliers' Head and Compressed Upper Jaw.

Because of this condition ,the Head's Soft Tissue are not Proportionate to the Shortened Nature of the Skull ,and the Excess Tissues tend to increase Resistance to the Flow of Air through the Upper Airway, Nostrils,Sinuses.Pharynx,and Larynx.

Would we Cavalier Pet Owners Subject our 4 Legged Cavalier Friends to a day being Shut in a Cage and Covered with a Blanket.

I THINK NOT!!!

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like

Morning Bet!
    After a very long Bank holiday weekend your post about being covered with a blanket in a crate has made me yearn for my bed!
    In fact I couldn't imagine anything more idyllic for myself...never mind a cavalier.
    and if anyone tried to haul me out,I'd snap the hand off them..
    Most cavaliers have a daily routine and if they sleep at home between 10 and 12 like mine do,then they'll happily snooze in a crate at a show.

Sins
    Last edited by sins; 3rd May 2011 at 11:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default The cavalier out door show

Quote Originally Posted by sins View Post
    Morning Bet!
    After a very long Bank holiday weekend your post about being covered with a blanket in a crate has made me yearn for my bed!
    In fact I couldn't imagine anything more idyllic for myself...never mind a cavalier.
    and if anyone tried to haul me out,I'd snap the hand off them..
    Most cavaliers have a daily routine and if they sleep at home between 10 and 12 like mine do,then they'll happily snooze in a crate at a show.

Sins

THE CAVALIER OUT DOOR SHOW

If I could answer Sins,

We had been to a Cavalier Show here in Scotland, with all the Gear ,Cages etc, called in at a Scottish Club Party for Cavaliers ,saw all the Cavaliers owned by Cavalier Pet owners ,sitting on their Owner's Knees ,not a Cage in sight, looked over to our Katie Jnr, saw her wee Face looking at us through the Cage , and thought the Show Scene is not for us or our Beloved Cavaliers.

Put Katie Jnr on my Knee like all the other Cavaliers .

We never were at another Cavalier Show.

Bet.

PS, Becky our B/T was at Crufts.
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like

On Easter Monday I worked both my boys at an outdoor obedience show, then scoreboarded for a friend who was judging for the rest of the day. It was hot, sunny and windy. My two spent most of their day in their pop-up fabric crate, which is greyish-silver in colour, which I think reflects the sunlight, and has a black mesh front and strips of mesh along either side. Although the crate was next to my table and partly in the sun, Oliver and Aled stayed really cool all day. They had a short walk at lunchtime (with Oliver in his sun hat to guard against his light phobia), but otherwise snoozed contentedly.

Their fabric crate looks as if it should be hot and stuffy, but actually the most important thing for dogs (especially bracycephalic breeds) in hot weather is to keep them out of the (not very) fresh and hot air and keep the sun off them - which is why people cover their crates with a blanket or reflective material. If the sun is excluded, the darkness within the crate is actually pretty cool - as I keep my house cool by drawing the curtains to keep the sun out. My two in their crate were certainly better off than the dogs who were sitting around on the grass with their owners. And Oliver can get a headache even sitting in the shade if he is looking out at strong sunlight. So perhaps don't jump to conclusions too quickly?

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

But Bet,
    Dog showing isn't all about Crates and Crufts!
    I can understand if you don't like the hobby of showing dogs and you have your reasons which you're perfectly entitled to.
    It's not just to take your dog to compete,but to enjoy the overall spectacle of beautiful, well turned out dogs being shown with pride by their owners.
    Of course there are a few bad eggs or people who haven't a clue what shampoo and water is for,but mostly it's a very sporting occasion.
    I don't think there's anything unacceptable or unethical in showing dogs and it poses very little risk to the dogs themselves.It's not exactly greyhound racing?
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

The constant negative and critical posts really irk me....I don't normally respond (in fact, don't normally even read them) but this one caught my eye and I couldn't help myself. I don't show, we don't compete in anything but we do take the dogs to numerous outdoor events (dog related and non-dog related) with us. We have a crate.....not a blanket covered crate....but a crate with sides nevertheless. The crate gives them a secure place to relax, there is the ability for air to circulate, and the top keeps the sun off their heads. The dogs spend some time in the crate together, we take them for walks around, we sometimes have all 3 on our laps between the two of us. I don't consider this cruel, they seem to enjoy going to outings with us and it's just not realistic to spend an entire event with 3 dogs on my lap....but I would rather have them with us at social events than sitting inside a closed up house with no outside stimualtion all day.....so we do what we do.

You may not want to attend any of the Cavalier social events I go to because you'll see crates all over the place. They are a place for the dogs to get a little down time, rest up a bit and then come back out and join the party again. In fact, if I leave the crate door open inevitably one of my dogs will go in for a little laydown time.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy T View Post
    The constant negative and critical posts really irk me....I don't normally respond (in fact, don't normally even read them) but this one caught my eye and I couldn't help myself.
    I have to agree with Cathy. I'll start off by saying I'm not a breeder nor do I show my Cavaliers, but I get really fed up with your very negative posts on this site. You've just labeled everyone who dares to show their Cavalier outdoors, with the same dirty, smelly brush.

Why do you assume that a Cavalier that is crated is in distress? You ask what proof there is that these dogs are not in distress. Well I ask you what proof do you have that they are in distress? Honestly, regardless of CM, if a dog is distressed, their owners or some other dog lover would surely notice. Why if the dog was distressed would it come happily out it's cage with it's tail wagging ready to go into the ring?

Reading your other post regarding traveling long distances in a car, what a weak statement. Everyone who owns a dog, and a car will have traveled with them at some point during hot weather. Are you saying that we shouldn't take our Cav's out when it's hot and sunny? My two love traveling in the car, regardless of the weather, they are always eager to get in to see where we are going this time. We are taking ours on holiday this year for the first time, during the height of summer too. Perhaps you are suggesting I'm cruel to do so! We have 3 hours to travel, we have AC, we open the windows, we of course carry water and we will make regular breaks en-route.

I have two fun loving Cavaliers, who love life, and are never happier then when they are out and about. They aren't little balls of fluff to be mollycoddled, and kept inside during good weather. We will continue to go to country shows, pet shows and other events with them.
    Paula - mum to Murphy(6) & Misty(7), and Jerry our cat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default The cavalier out door show scene

Quote Originally Posted by sins View Post
    But Bet,
    Dog showing isn't all about Crates and Crufts!
    I can understand if you don't like the hobby of showing dogs and you have your reasons which you're perfectly entitled to.
    It's not just to take your dog to compete,but to enjoy the overall spectacle of beautiful, well turned out dogs being shown with pride by their owners.
    Of course there are a few bad eggs or people who haven't a clue what shampoo and water is for,but mostly it's a very sporting occasion.
    I don't think there's anything unacceptable or unethical in showing dogs and it poses very little risk to the dogs themselves.It's not exactly greyhound racing?
    Sins

THE CAVALIER OUT DOOR SHOW SCENE.

Can the Cavalier Show Scene be classed as a Hobby, when many Cavalier Puppies are sold for around 800?

I would think it is more of a Commercial Business.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like

Granted,there are some top breeders who evidently seem to command top prices for pet puppies and who can also sell show potential stock and have bitches on breeding terms.But for every successful breeder at the top,there's dozens in the middle who might break even, and even more again who operate at a loss,just to pursue their hobby.
    I know a few people this year who have scanned their bitch,paid a stud fee,ended up with a singleton instead of a litter and one of those was a c section.
    When it comes to health testing,a breeder can pay for as many as 6 or more scans in a year if they have two or more bitches and a stud dog or two.
    A lot of my facebook friends write about the price of petrol,entry fees,overnight accommodation,vet bills,worming,it all adds up.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by murphy's mum View Post
    So those who disagree with your thread do not care about our Cavaliers? Are we not "True Lovers" of the breed.
    I have been upset too. I care about cavalier health and even though I don't currently have one, I have learned a lot about what to look for in a breeder. The first place I would go, is to a show. Who is volunteering the health clinics they have, talk to people, get involved because it is a beautiful breed.

One thing confuses me. It doesn't make sense because at one time there was questions why not many submissions for heart results for older cavaliers at a show. Yet now, it is cruel to take them to a show. I don't understand because some older cavaliers would have a hard time traveling (cm/sm, mvd, or just old age) but then again I don't think this is about crates.

I probably was mistreating ella because she traveled with and loved the car. Now I feel so guilty. I know she was overweight, that is cruel. She would stick her head out the window (now that's probably not safe). I know I made mistakes. I wish I was perfect but I tried damn hard for her. I would not intentionally do anything cruel. Ok I now need to stop but we can't analyze one piece.

I might be emotional now, but yes we have got to recognize the health issues but in a way that is helpful. I have said before, if a cavalier breeder follows protocols and has a cavalier asymptomatic with a syrinx, why would they not be shown? They can be breed to an A and what if they are over 5 heart clear with a small syrinx.

It seems to me, it is about early onset SM, like MVD. Maybe karlin will correct me but from reading dr. Rusbridge slides it would be best to breed clear cavaliers but if need be, only older asymptomatic cavaliers with a syrinx should be breed with an older clear cavalier?

Karlin mentioned underage breeding. That is something I think is pretty easy to see how it hurts the health of the breed because so many protocols have age in mind. Why punish a breeder who has older with a small syrinx if they breed and follow protocols.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella