Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood Pidgeon ,Collared Dove - Would They

Post Thanks / Like

One of my previous Rubies was a hunter/killer - not only of Collar Doves and pigeons (and the odd smaller birds) but he was also an accomplished ratter. His littermate brother who I also owned was quite clueless, but apparently their father was also a hunter. Rowan often enjoyed a tasty pigeon snack after one of his hunting sessions, the most memorable for me being a half eaten trophy being left for us on the landing one Christmas morning.

He was stealth personified and would wait patiently for hours for his prey... He was otherwise such a sweet gentle little dog you'd never believe what he got up to - he was my "Jekyll and Hyde" boy.

There's (but only for the not-so-squeamish!) a photo of him here (http://cavalierkingcharles.com/twins...s/bird_dog.jpg) after one of his successful sessions...

Rosemary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dozyrosy View Post
    One of my previous Rubies was a hunter/killer - not only of Collar Doves and pigeons (and the odd smaller birds) but he was also an accomplished ratter. His littermate brother who I also owned was quite clueless, but apparently their father was also a hunter. Rowan often enjoyed a tasty pigeon snack after one of his hunting sessions, the most memorable for me being a half eaten trophy being left for us on the landing one Christmas morning.

He was stealth personified and would wait patiently for hours for his prey... He was otherwise such a sweet gentle little dog you'd never believe what he got up to - he was my "Jekyll and Hyde" boy.

There's (but only for the not-so-squeamish!) a photo of him here (http://cavalierkingcharles.com/twins...s/bird_dog.jpg) after one of his successful sessions...

Rosemary
    Thats a great photo, looks very proud of himself doesnt he?
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like

Maddie has the hunting / killer instinct and has caught a grey squirrel in her younger days. Pippin on the other hand loves to chase but................

Last year on holiday in Scotland our cottage garden was always populated by wild rabbits. By the second week Maddie and Pippin had learnt to work together in their bid to catch one. Maddie was guarding the escape route while Pippin was giving chase. After a bit the rabbit, having nowhere to go, stopped dead and sat facing Pippin. Pippin stopped, sat and looked worried, and then gave me a "that rabbit's staring at me - help!" look. Maddie came charging up to go for the kill, leaving the escape route unguarded and the rabbit made good its escape.

Very interesting to watch, but I was pleased bunny got away!

Post Thanks / Like

Lucy is definitely obsessed with birds. We had an injured pidgeon in the garden only yesterday and she managed to get to it and would not leave it. I'm pretty sure that she would have killed it eventually if left alone with it. Poor thing, it was terrified. I was shocked as I saw this other side to her, shes normally such a sweetie.
    I think she thought all her xmas' had arrived at once when she found it in the garden! She is definitely a bird lover!

Post Thanks / Like

Your thread has certainly struck a chord with many of us, Brian.

Perhaps this would be a good moment to flag up a list of Wildlife Rescue Centres around the UK, where you can take injured birds and other animals for treatment and rehabilitation.

http://www.animalrescuers.co.uk/html/wildcents.html

We have a marvellous one near Evesham (Vale Wildlife Rescue Centre) and my step-daughter is a trustee for one in Hampshire (HART).

Only the other day, a neighbour brought us three tiny greenfinches which had fallen out of their nest in the high winds. We took them straight to Vale Wildlife and they are still alive and thriving at the moment.
    Marie-Anne taken over by
    Hattie (Blenheim) Poppy (Blenheim) + Lucy (Shih-tzu)
    Louie, Joss, Peppa, Megan, Victoria all waiting patiently at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello Marie

Thanks for the information your link will be kept in my little black book.What do you think of wind turbines .There is talk of them quadrupling in size Burbank Wind Farm which is four miles off the Wirral Coast .I am all for helping the planet but am unsure regarding these eyesores ,the efficiency ,safety ,and hazard to wildlife .
    Any thoughts please .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

As a young lad Stephen my younger brother and I used to clamber all over Black Mountain near Erryys N Wales ,we had a little cottage up there and on one expedition we found a young Blackbird which had flown into barbed wire and damaged its wings .We left it where it was till we were sure its mummy wasn't coming to help then we took it home dug up a load of worms kept it in our bedroom stayed awake all night caring for it and feeding it ,then it died the next morning ,both of us were really upset for a week ,I think he was seven and I was nine ,poor bird .

And then the next week my clumsy brother Stephen trod on my terrapin as I was exercising it around the bedroom ,and then Mum found my frog spawn I had hidden under the bed and emptied it all away. Triple tragedy within a week .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T