• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Half a kilo to loose!

Dublin

Sparky & Lucy went into work today for their boosters & after full health checks (& 2 healthy hearts!!!) our locum vet said Sparky could fo with loosing half a kilo - he weighs 9.55kgs & i thought hes ok, he has a heavy coat so looks bigger than he is.

My thing is, he hardly eats anything! (& gets 2 walks a day) he eats the same as Lucy who weighs 5.25kgs - Lucy is a lot more active than the Sparkster.

Theyre currently being fed 1/6 pack
Of prize choice raw meat/fish & a sprinkling of pointer mixer. (each)
& they get a 20 min on lead walk in the morning & an hours off lead run in the park at night.

Any ideas??

I met a lady who had to put her two on a diet and she was giving them sardines in oil with grated carrot. I don't know how often but I give this to my two once a week they love it. Mine are also on a raw diet. They love it. I wouldn't have thought that was big. Jasper is 10.3 kg and Holly is 8.9kg Jasper is a bigger dog anyway.

I think vets don’t look at the dog, they just think ALL Cavaliers should weight what the typical Show Breed cavaliers weigh. When my Ebony had her operation the vet said she is overweight when I told the Physio he said that she is just ok, as she is a lot larger (height and Length) then most Cavaliers. He showed me that she has a waistline and he said that he could feel her ribs. Like my Harley is 12.5 kilo but he hasn’t got any fat on him. He looks so tall and skinny. He measures’ 16 inches in height. If he loses weight his ribs would be poking through. And my Rosie definitely needs to loose weight.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I do think vets differ on their oppinions of how dogs should look. I can just feel Sparkys ribs if I run my fingers along his sides so to me thats the right weight - Lucy is the same, i think sometimes people look at Sparky & Lucy together (without feeling them) & Sparky looks Huge compared to little Lucy. Now Cass on the other hand looks a little underweight to me, but shes old & eats more than the others, shes allways been an 'athletic' looking dog & rarley in her 13.5 years has she had any fat on her dispite eating like a small horse!

I am currently trying to get a little bit of weight onto cass as i think she could do with a little more on her but like I said shes an old dog & I think is really starting to be an old dog.

Back