Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "hyperactive" dog??

Post Thanks / Like

Default "hyperactive" dog??

Okay...so this is more a discussion point than a question, but lately I have heard a few comments about my dog being really hyper and I am a bit put off by it.

So, there is this cafe across the road from me, and I go there all the time...and usually bring Brooklyn. Well, last week a kid came to pet her (kids always do and Brooklyn is in heaven when they do) and the dad sorta held her back and was like "be careful, she is a bit of a spitfire". I didnt know this guy, so I just told him not to worry, I'll hold her collar, that she is just a puppy and really loves kids. My niece is his daughters age and they get along great, etc. etc. Then today I was back there chatting with the owner (we are neighbourhood friends) and he made a side comment that Brooklyn is "a hyperactive dog". I just laughed it off saying how excited she gets to come to the cafe because its like dog social hour.

Anyway, to be honest, I don't really feel she is hyperactive or anything at all. I mean, she is a puppy, and she still gets excited to see people, but calms down in a few minutes. I attribute it to her being a puppy...she is either passed out all day or really excited to play, run and see people. Am I just blind or I guess I am wondering if I am missing something. Maybe they were not being negative at all and I am just reading into it too much, but I sorta find it offensive. Brooky is 6 months old now, and she is not perfectly calm like most of the older dogs in the neighborhood, but I know she will be as she grows and continues training.

Anyway, is it normal for a pup to be pretty high energy at times? Does that settle? I think so. I am just worried that people think I have "that dog" and I really don't want that. I tell people too not to pet her if she is jumping or anything...and sometimes that works, but today, two people just swooped in and picked her up! The curse of how cute cav's are is that no one will ever ignore her so she just craves the attention!

Thanks for letting me vent

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry your girl is just a normal puppy. I wouldn't want a 6mth old to be anything other than full of life and excitement.

It probably is that the people making comments are not being negative at all, they may just be trying to be friendly and making a bit of a joke about her enthusiasm for life. To be honest - I have make comments to people about their puppies being 'live wires' in the past, at the same time as making a fuss of them, and as part of friendly chit chat - I hope they didn't take offense as I meant it as a complement!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I just laugh about it. Claire is 14 months and very active. Especially if she has been recently crated. We had a group of folks here a few weeks ago and she was crated for part of the time. When I let her out she was raring to go.

Just let their comments roll off your back. She is a puppy for goodness sake!
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Rylie will be two next month and I've never had such an active dog I told my breeder I wanted a spunky dog because Max was still under a year when we got Rylie and pretty active himself. Max seemed to calm down at a year. Rylie is too busy running to calm down. We will do a training run at agility class and when we are done he leaps into my arms and smothers me with kisses. Personally I wouldn't want him any other way.
    Mindy Tri - Feb/97
    Max - Ruby - Sep/08
    Rylie - B&T - June/09

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's typical Cavs they get SO excited. Don't worry she will settle down.
    Deb

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all...you made me feel a lot better!

I am known to be the "sensitive" one, so I am happy to know that my little pup is just that...a little pup

Post Thanks / Like

I have gotten those comments too. I had my two best friends down to visit me and they kept saying "Chamberlain if you hold still I will pet you." Ummm he's an 8 months old and he LOVES new people! They aren’t “dog people” and it was hard for me to hold my tongue when they would whine about dog slobber and hair all over the place! But it is clearly marked in my house that we are "dog peolpe" by magnets and signs “A house is not a home without dog hair” and “Home is where the dogs are” lol

My husband calls him a "wiggly butt" because when he gets happy his whole body moves when he wags his tail. I personally love his energy and his excitement.
    Mommy to....

Chamberlain (10 month Male Blenheim Cavalier)
    Sasha (6 year old Female Great Pyrennes)

Post Thanks / Like

camberlain sounds just like mimi when i get back from work all i see is her little doggy butt wiggle through the hall way, she is now 10 months and if anything she has more energy than she did have becuase she is meeting more and more people, we did manage to go for a walk round a busy town on monday and after the first few minutes she settled down and walked very nicely with us and only really got excited when people payed her attention, or other dogs were around. I never saw any problem with 'hyperactive dogs' even before i had mimi, the thing i was more bothered about were out of control dogs, like the ones where you couldnt tell if they were friendly or not untill they had pulled their owners over to you then either jumped at you or barked at you.
    Your baby is still your baby no matter what species

Post Thanks / Like

I love the "wiggle butt" comment...we call it the "full body shake!". It is so funny how they can put their whole body into it! Or, how it starts with a slow wag...to a full wag...to a full on lower body wiggle! Too funny.

You guys all made me feel a lot better, because I think Brooklyn is wonderful. And you are right...if she is not aggressive, she doesn't bark at people, she isn't mean...then I am happy. All she wants is a big cuddle and some pets and hopefully too she will calm a bit as she gets older. The hard part is getting people to ignore her so we can practice good manners! Ha.

Post Thanks / Like

Wiggle butt...that's what we call it. I get exhausted just watching Sydney! Once he gets started, it lasts for a while.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart