• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Show ring newbie vent

sunshinekisses

So yesterday was my first real experience with the conformation ring with my very own dog. I did hire a handler and I am so glad because yesterday I was so nervous I thought I might throw-up. Anyway, my little boy is a black and tan which is a bit tough to show in sea of blenheim colour. But yesterday something floored me, my dog was asked to go up and back and the judge turned around and started talking to the stewart!! :mmph:
My handler was very cool about it and just waited for the judge to finish. But really?! This totally irked me. I paid good money to have this judge look my dog over and give an honest opinion.
I notice he did this on another black and tan later on in the judging. I didn't find this very professional. Is this what I can expect for a black and tan? GRRR...my boy is very nice and deserves at least a good look over.

Bad judging.

Everyone has paid the same money and deserve that their dog has a fair and thorough assessment.

Black and Tans are beautiful but sometimes they do not seem to catch the Judge's eye in the way that a blenheim will.
It is something that you will have to come to terms with if you show wholecolours.

I thought I might update this thread since it has been viewed a few times. My boy won his class today, just so those of you that are hesitant about showing a black and tan, they do win sometimes too. And I was so elated today my smile hasn't left my face yet! :)

Seriously

No offense but I think it's time for you to have a little persepctive.

It's not necessarily about winning,but having paid your entry fee,spent the time preparing your dog and travelling to obtain a judges opinion,not to even get that is annoying.
It's as Margaret says, Bad Judging.(and bad manners).
Even if your dog has faults or isn't what the judge likes on the day,an exhibitor should at least expect the judge to be interested.
Well done on your first win. Hope this will have settled your nerves and you and your boy will enjoy things a lot more.
Sins

All dogs have faults Sins - the perfect dog has never been born yet and probably never will.

Even after 25 years of showing I am still elated if I win or am placed with one of my dogs in a strong class, but I have learnt to be a good looser too. It's all about that dog, that judge, that day, but so far as turning to speak to a steward while sending a dog up and down is totally unacceptable.

I am so glad to see a wholecolour winning classes. I always wanted to have one but ended up with partis.:l*v:

Last edited:
Congratulation on your first win. It’s always a great feeling.:p
But that’s why I like competing in Dog Sports you get judgedon your performance. Don’t get me wrong you also get bias judges there.

Congrats; that's wonderful! You must be so pleased. :jmp2:

I have heard the issues Margaret mentions quite a few times from those who show, so you definitely have a legitimate gripe. It is very unprofessional for a judge to so blatantly show disinterest in a dog they are supposed to be judging -- they have plenty of time to chat out of the ring and they are supposed to be on the job and attentive to all entries, as well as courteous! :rolleyes:

I know it is considered much harder to show and win with whole colours -- I have seen it said many times by those who do breed and show them, that judges just seem to view parti-colours as more 'flashy' and also it is I suppose what many judges are more familiar with as there are so few wholecolours shown by comparison. A bit of a vicious circle. Glad you were able to find a more appreciative judge who considered the whole group. :)

Well done to you and your black and tan. That is just disgusting how rude to do that. I am afraid I would have gone up to him and told him so to. I hope you complain because that is just not right. So glad you won anyway.

Thanks for the replies...I am hoping in a year this will be old hat to me and my emotions won't be so up and down. I am having fun learning though.
BTW I prefer obedience as well. This show ring stuff is very different for me.

I do Adult Handling classes when I can find a show that has them.

The worst piece of judging that I can ever remember being involved with was when I took just the one dog to a Limit Show. To support the club I had entered my dog in as many classes as she was eligible for, which was quite a few. The one male judge was judging the whole show, even the Adult Handling Classes, due in the lunch break.

When it got to my over 60s class I took the dog in. Of course the judge had gone over the dog before, but should have done so again. 'Stand over there' I was told. I thought it was a bit strange, but had to do as the judge told me. He went over all the other dogs then came over to me and said I should stand at the end of line because he had already seen my dog and decided to place him last.

I am not griping about the judge not liking my dog, far from it. The disgusting part of this was that in a handling class the judge is supposed to judge the handler, giving each combo different figures to walk and awarding and subtracting points for the handler's performance from a perfect total.

Back