• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What made you choose Male or Female?

robbieswan

For me it was the fact we had a male Jack Russell (toby) that died of cancer. We wanted a female as Toby peed against furniture etc..

We wanted females too cause our friend and breeder (she have both fathers to Coco & Luna) she told male dog pee all over it self.
After I read the male is the most friendly / loving towards their owners, maybe a male dog next time.. who knows ??
Of course there's a next time :D

I've had both boys and girls over the years, but for me (no disrespect intended for those with girls!) the boys are just heart-meltingly sweet. And I have had no issues with marking indoors after neutering, except mill rescue Dillon who took longer to convince.

I just had my heart set on a little girl. I wanted a "mommy's girl" and as petty as it seems...am a sucker for all things pink and girly. I love buying her pretty sparkly little collars and dressing her up for holidays, putting little bows in her ears etc LOL :eek: My husband always refers to us as "His ladies" or "His girls" and it's cute. And Polly is the sweetest, most cuddly snuggly dog ever, she is perfect for me.:luv:

Last edited:
I was told female Cavaliers loved you, but male Cavaliers were "in love with you".

Murphy loves his cuddles more than Misty, he would be cuddled 24/7, where as Misty prefers cuddles on her terms. Although I'm not sure if Misty's independence is more to do with her start in life, with her being a rescue :confused:

I think one or more of each is just perfect!

But we picked Gracie because she just picked us and both available were female. We went to see three dogs that were from same litter and were 5 months old. The breeder had held them back as possible show dogs. Gracie picked us immediately... and kept picking us. We were happy to get either sex.

We do want second dog to be a male as the best companion to Gracie. Starting to look now for one that is not a puppy but up to 4 years.

I was told female Cavaliers loved you, but male Cavaliers were "in love with you".

:shock: Thank you so much for posting that! It all makes sense now! Chamberlain really acts like he's in love with me! I knew Cavaliers were attached to their owners but I was not prepared for Chamberlains attachment to me!

PS I wouldn't change it for the world! :luv:

We got a male because we had a female and I had heard that if you get opposite sex's it is less threatening to the existing dog...

We got a male because we had a female and I had heard that if you get opposite sex's it is less threatening to the existing dog...
I really think that matters more if you are adding an adult dog to your pack. I have also heard that 2 bitches can become problematic over time, but not sure if that would be true in this sweet calm breed.

I decided on a 2nd boy because I prefer boys, and Clancy doesn't seem to mind.

i wanted a female,my first dog was female (collie cross ) and she was the most amazing dog. i think its sometimes just what you are used to :luv:

I chose a girl first because that's what we wanted. I think both are great. But I've been told that if you have more than one dog, a boy and girl get along best so that's why we have one of each...
Our boy Bobby doesn't pee on anything. He's neutered, but he never peed or scent marked even as a pup, although he was a late bloomer and took longer to house-break. He used to leave puddles around the kitchen all day long, and his big sister used to tattle on him by standing there next to the puddle and looking at us until we found it! icon_whistling On the other hand, even though our girl Belle is a perfect angel, she was a little divil as a pup and peed on her bed and any other soft cushiony place she could get on, it took a long time to train her out of that.
Belle is a girly girl though, she's so prim, Bobby is the typical ruffian' boy, all boiserous and playful! He loves his Mama too. Belle is loving and affectionate to everyone while Bobby only loves ME.:lotsaluv:

I knew I wanted a tri, Guinness' litter had only male tris. That made it easy to choose.

I knew I wanted a Blenheim female for the second. That way I can tell them they are the best boy/girl ever, and not have anyone point out that they can't both be best.

Well, we knew we wanted a girl. We have another boy dog, and a boy cat, and a boy cat before that, and we haven't had a girl for 12 years when we got Claire.

I wanted, like Erin, one that I could fuss with and get cute girlie things. Of course, Claire at times is a tomboy, but I still treat her like a princess......:l*v:

We Had a boy before and wanted two Cavs this times so one of each seemed right. I too thlink boys love you. Jasper is the biggest softy always loves kissing you. And Miss Holly! Loves you when she wants to! Lol. I love them both whatever they are.

We've had both male and females in our family and they really are SO different.

We had our male first (a family dog) and he is SO affectionate, loving, was a breeze to house train, ect; He does have some serious anxiety issues when it comes to thunderstorms and we're working on his food aggression. He lives to please his owners though.

My girls on the other hand are completely aware of the fact that I am here to please THEM. Not the other way around lol. They are very loving and affectionate... but on their time haha. I chose girls really for the sole purpose of the hair bows. lol

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Parker was a rescue, and he kindof chose us, we weren't looking for male vs. female, just a nice dog!
We preferred a female for our second cavalier as we thought it might be better for Parker, but really were looking more at personality, it just worked out!

Back