• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hot weather

robbieswan

Due to the burst of hot weather lately, Tess has been very slow and panting all the time. It looks like she is very uncomfortable, and drinking lots of water. That fur coat of hers must be hot ! She doesn't look unwell at all, just taking it easy.

All dogs find hot weather difficult - mainly because they don't sweat and the only way they have of reducing their body heat is through their paws and by panting - neither methods terribly efficient. A thick coat acts as insulation - trapping cooler air against the skin, rather than making the dog hotter. You need to be extra careful with Cavaliers in hot weather, because heat and high air pressure put a strain on their hearts. Early morning and late evening for walks, always carry water with you, keep the house cool, and don't let them sit out in the sun for too long, however much the silly things enjoy it!

We had a thread a couple of weeks ago on Cavaliers in hot weather - might be worth searching under 'hot weather' and having a look.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Well, we Australians are heading into winter now...but gosh, Sydney had a week long heat wave here that had Brooklyn just crawling along! Here are some things that I found helped:
- Ice cubes...I just made trays and trays of ice cubes (and flavoured them with a splash of chicken stock if she was lucky!) and dumped them in the back yard or porch for her to eat. She LOVED them.
- Giant ice blocks...okay, this one is fun. Get a big tupperware, fill it with water, then place some treats, a pig ear, liver, food, whatever you want (and maybe flavour the water with a splash of chicken stock) and freeze. Not only does she love licking it to cool down, but it lasts for ages, so everytime she comes back to it, a little more melted and a new treat is exposed!
- I froze heavy duty (i.e. non-chewable) ice packs and put them in a sock/shirt for her to lay on/near.

There are also some good toys at the toy store that you can freeze which are fun :)

Clancy does better in summer when we clip him. We also walk earlier in the day, for shorter distances. I am a big baby about heat, and keep the central A/C set at 72 all summer long. :cool:

When we lived in Louisiana, I used to drag him into our swimming pool to cool him down. Spaniel or no, he was absolutely horrified by that! :rotfl:

Our hot weather has come on rather quickly - highs of 86°F/30°C - and because she is not accustomed to it yet, Sophie is quite uncomfortable.

Well, we Australians are heading into winter now...but gosh, Sydney had a week long heat wave here that had Brooklyn just crawling along! Here are some things that I found helped:
- Ice cubes...I just made trays and trays of ice cubes (and flavoured them with a splash of chicken stock if she was lucky!) and dumped them in the back yard or porch for her to eat. She LOVED them.
- Giant ice blocks...okay, this one is fun. Get a big tupperware, fill it with water, then place some treats, a pig ear, liver, food, whatever you want (and maybe flavour the water with a splash of chicken stock) and freeze. Not only does she love licking it to cool down, but it lasts for ages, so everytime she comes back to it, a little more melted and a new treat is exposed!
- I froze heavy duty (i.e. non-chewable) ice packs and put them in a sock/shirt for her to lay on/near.

There are also some good toys at the toy store that you can freeze which are fun :)

Thanks for those tips! I am always in search of something new for Chamberlain to chew on! :rotfl:

I luv some of the great tips for keeping our lovely Cavaliers cool and entertained during the hot weather :)

Thanks for all the tips :)

Back