• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sitting Still

SophieLightyear

Hi. My Benji needs to get his eyes tested for Dry Eye but he the vet is unsure whether or not he'd sit still long enough for the vet to actually complete the test.
So, what's a good way to get him to sit still for at least a minute so the vet can complete the test?!
Also he gets himself all worked up at the vets so it could be a bit more difficult when actually at the vets!
Any tips are welcome.
Thanks

Chamberlain was seen last Saturday at the vet because he had a scratch on his cornea. He was held by two vet techs (although only one was needed) I stood at his head, talking to him and petting him and the vet keep giving him treats! So Chamberlain had a very good time being held, fed treats and petted! lol

Just remember to stay calm, because you dog will be able to sense it and start to become anxious if your anxious! Tell the vet that you are worried that he may not sit still and see what assistance they can offer! Good luck.

I have no specific advice for making Benji sit still. I think that has to be quite an individual thing from dog to dog. Tess will pose for me no problem, but charlie is restless. Maybe some verbal praise and calm talking will do the trick...it's a tough one that !

You could give Benji a few drops of Bach's Rescue Remedy about 10 minutes before going to the vet's - this would relieve his stress. If there isn't anyone to help you handle him, sit him on the table, stand behind him and hold his shoulders firmly - this is the easiest way of preventing wriggling and you can hold his head steady with your thumbs, but you are also enclosing him within your arms, which is reassuring, and you can talk to him easily.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back