• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does anyone trim ears short?

murphy's mum

Does anyone trim their Cavaliers ears quite short?

I've just had to cut Misty's ears right back, on our vets recommendation. She is prone to ear infections, and we use CleanAural quite regularly to keep them clean. He wants her ears lighter, and for more air flow around them.

The hair is now trimmed to 1cm below her ear flap, and the inside flap is trimmed back to nearly skin level. She looks so strange without her long silky ears.

IMG_0042.jpg

The only thing is she's now shaking her head, which she wasn't doing before her ears were trimmed. I don't know if I should have trimmed them or not now.

I had to laugh, reading your post it sounds as if it's her ears she's trimming :rotfl:

Does she do the inside of the ear flap too? Do they shake their heads after it's done?

When you shave the inside flap, it makes the ear feel funny (think about not shaving for a long time, then shaving and the difference in feel). Then they shake because of the funny feeling. As long as no loose trimmed fur got inside the ear canal during the clipping, then she is just adjusting to her new do.

Misha has his inside ear shaved which decreases infection and matting. It should make a difference with your girl too. She looks very sweet in that photo.

It is a shame to trim the ears is my opinion. I love the long ears :lotsaluv:
But when the girls are sleeping on the couch in the evening, so I turn the ears so they can be aired (y)

I have both Belle's and Bobby's ears trimmed, for a number of reasons. #1 is that I'm not the best at keeping up their grooming and they tend to get matted, so a good trim helps deter the tangles for a while. They aren't cut right back, but nicely trimmed. #2 is that it helps to keep them clean from goop they might dip them into whilst out sniffing and our Bobby gets goop on them from his rawhide chewbones, so they're easier to clean if short.

I absolutely love the long ears, but I just find it difficult to manage them, so to keep all of us happy, they get trimmed about 3-4 times a year.

I love the long ears as well but I do trim them 3 or 4 times a year and it is much easier for grooming. Darcy's ears tend to get matted and she isn't great for letting me brush them regularly so it is easier to keep her ears short, they are similar to Misty's length. It works best form us to keep them trimmed :)

I used to always trim my last Cavs ears and coat. But I have decided I want to keep their coat long they look so much nicer. Plus I believe it's their natural air conditioner. Although it is a lot of work. I am forever getting knots out of Holly's coat.

I keep Clancy trimmed all over, including his ears. Yes, I realize he looks like a St. Bernard puppy. :-D But he really hates being brushed.

229311_1914636618590_1022178463_2214353_8138817_n.jpg

Clancy looks very handsome indeed :eek:

I'm sure I'll get used to her new look. The vet did suggest I cut back the hair the last time she had sore ears, but I really didn't want to. However, if he thinks it's for the best we'll keep doing it.

I keep my SM girl's ears trimmed short so that I don't have to pull on her head at all when I groom her ears. I've gotten used to to the "puppy' look of her ears now since they've been that way for so long now. Advantage is that they don't get tangled at all, but that may be due more to the hair los from the prednisone than anything else. Poor baby - but happy baby.

We clip the inside of Cracker's ears as he has had ear infections in the past. It really has helped, he does flick his head at first, but soon settles down.

I've also trimmed the ear fur length a bit on both of them now they are older, as they both seem to scoop up ear fur along with their food in the last few years. I guess when I am of a similar vintage in human years I'll have to make a change or two to my upkeep.

Back