• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Swimming Cavaliers - do you shave?

MishathePooh

My boy will start swimming about three times a week in a lake. Is it OK to leave his fur as is, or is it healthier to remove grinch fur and trim ears because of the algae and dirty/sandy lake bottom? The lake has been tested by the EPA and is clean enough for humans to swim in.

Mine are not avid swimmers, Belle will take a walk along the shoreline, and Bobby runs away from the waves, thinking it's great fun, so they never really get completely wet! I think though, if yours is going to get wet that much, it would be a good idea to get him a nice tidy and groom before his summer swimming starts. Then a quick dry with the towel and some air drying should be fine!

I see that you're from Ohio, I'm originally from there. I moved to Ireland nearly 9 years ago, I married a native. Still miss home all the time though!

About half of mine are swimmers and love lakes, canals, creeks, the sea, a large puddle...:rolleyes: No need to trim them for swimming -- the issue anyway isn't going to be what gets in their fur, it is what they ingest while swimming. If worried about coats, just give them a quick rinse with some fresh water -- I keep a couple of old water bottles with tap water in the car for sea swims to get the salt out of their coats. I actually find swims keep their coats lovely, clean and soft, whether in sea or fresh water. Sand is great -- dries off them and is easily brushed out then, and the slight roughness helps get hair really white.

Back