• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Looking for a puppy

Marcy

Hi all, I am looking for a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I am going next week to see a new little bunch. Any advise would greatly be appreciated!! This is a home breeder rather than a kennel. I hear this is the way to go.
Does anyone know anything about the Cavachons?

I would suggest looking at the puppy buyers guide on the forum. I will not comment on mixed breeds " designer" breeds, whatever you call them. Buying a puppy is a lifelong investment and my advise is to do as much research as possible.

There are many questions to ask the breeder but they may also ask you. Take your time and remember that this is like choosing a child (fortunately we get to choose) but hopefully they will be with you for several years. Sorry to ramble but I'm starting or getting thoughts in my head, but im in no rush and it may be a year or more so at least read the guide on the forum.

Best of luck

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Ditto to what Anniemac said

Please read that information.... you have to be very careful about breeders and health checks of the puppy and the parents. Good luck!

I agree with what has already been written, also, steel yourself, cavalier puppies are irresistable and it can be very hard to walk away without agreeing to buy one.

It's REALLY important to SEE all the health certificates, not just be told that the breeder has them. And don't buy a puppy because you feel sorry for it - for whatever reason (you're told its the runt, or 'it might be hard to sell because of x,y or z') - this will just encourage a dodgy breeder to keep breeding. Hopefully though, your prospective breeder will have everything in order and is breeding healthy, happy puppies.

The problem with buying a designer breed puppy is that there are risks that it could have inherited all the bad things from both breeds. Personally, I wouldn't consider one either, but then I'm biased cavtiny

Hi all, I am looking for a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I am going next week to see a new little bunch. Any advise would greatly be appreciated!! This is a home breeder rather than a kennel. I hear this is the way to go.
Does anyone know anything about the Cavachons?

Firstly, the most important thing to check with any breeder, is how experienced are they, do they understand the breed, and breeding, and do they do all the health tests.

A home breeder to me sounds like someone who's just decided to have a litter, so the chances that they actually know what they are doing, what inherited problems there may be, and even good animal husbandry needs to be questioned.

If you are going to look at a litter of Cavachons, then you need to read up on the health problems of both these breeds, as the litter will have the genes from both breeds.

This sounds like someone who has mated a Cavalier and a Bichon, maybe both pets? Please check they have all the health certs if this is the cros-breed you want to buy.

These pups are not pedigree pups, despite what they are sold as (Designer dogs)! and you can get the worst of both worlds as a result.

Just as long as you go in with your eyes open. And don't be fobbed off!

Firstly, the most important thing to check with any breeder, is how experienced are they, do they understand the breed, and breeding, and do they do all the health tests.

A home breeder to me sounds like someone who's just decided to have a litter, so the chances that they actually know what they are doing, what inherited problems there may be, and even good animal husbandry needs to be questioned.

If you are going to look at a litter of Cavachons, then you need to read up on the health problems of both these breeds, as the litter will have the genes from both breeds.

This sounds like someone who has mated a Cavalier and a Bichon, maybe both pets? Please check they have all the health certs if this is the cros-breed you want to buy.

These pups are not pedigree pups, despite what they are sold as (Designer dogs)! and you can get the worst of both worlds as a result.

Just as long as you go in with your eyes open. And don't be fobbed off!

Great advice.

Back