Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harleys Rally Obedience Trial

Post Thanks / Like

Default Harleys Rally Obedience Trial

We had our first big Rally Obedience Trial of this year yesterday. I know not many people know about Rally Obedience in the UK, it's big in the US. It's becoming more popular in the UK and it's a great sport for the ordinary Pet owning public who just want to work with their dog after they done their puppy training.

Me and Harley entered three trials and got 205 & and twice 201 points out of 210 points achievable. I am very proud of Harley as it was a long day leaving home at 5am. But he enjoyed every bit of it and that's what it is all about having fun.

Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Sabby

Well done to you all you are all STARS .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic!
    Well done both of you. I love the photo - it looks like your other two dogs are proud of Harley too.
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic. Very well done.

Post Thanks / Like

Very well done.

Was that an APDT Rally Obedience or a Talking Dogs Rally O trial? I'm only asking because we're starting to teach the TD version at my training school (my first foray into being a trainer rather than a client) so I'm really interested. I haven't managed to compete in a trial yet as all the dates for the TD trials clash with other things. I may look at the APDT ones as well, although there are some differences between the two and I wouldn't want to get confused. It doesn't take much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MadPip View Post
    Very well done.

Was that an APDT Rally Obedience or a Talking Dogs Rally O trial? I'm only asking because we're starting to teach the TD version at my training school (my first foray into being a trainer rather than a client) so I'm really interested. I haven't managed to compete in a trial yet as all the dates for the TD trials clash with other things. I may look at the APDT ones as well, although there are some differences between the two and I wouldn't want to get confused. It doesn't take much.
    Hi Mad Pip
    APDT is UK Rally and it is a lot more strict.
    I trained and entered TD Rallys for the last year, but things happened (politics) and one of the main judges left and started her own Rally called (PEDRO) Pet Dog Rally Obedience. I only enter their trails now. You also don’t have to pay a fee and register your dog for PEDRO Competitions like you have to with TD.
    PEDRO's next Trail is in Essex/Black Notley on the 19th June. So not that far for you.
    Sabby
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realise there was a third organisation running Rally trials. I'll have to have a look at that, as you say Black Notley isn't too far away, but think I'm busy that weekend (we're in a display team for our dog training school and summer weekends tend to be taken up with displays). I'll check my diary though.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! Rally is something I have thought would be fun.
    Mindy Tri - Feb/97
    Max - Ruby - Sep/08
    Rylie - B&T - June/09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mindysmom View Post
    Congrats! Rally is something I have thought would be fun.

I am obviously bias but Rally is great. There are so manypeople out there that want to do something with their dogs and can’t run to do agility or find Obedience to strict. Rally is the perfect in between. At the higher level you have a jump and a tunnel and there are over 82 exercises on 4 different levels to complete.
    The KC has already shown interest in Rally and no doubt they will bring out their own version. I am sure Rally will become more popular overthe next few years. When we done the demo at the Pet Show at Olympia a lot of people showed interest and ask where they could find a club that trains Rally. Unfortunately there aren’t that many clubs that do Rally yet.

I am in the progress of staring a Rally Club where I live. And there are so many Cavaliers that do Rally.
    Sabby

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's great as well. At our club we've run a workshop on it and were oversubscribed, so we're running another one next month. Then we'll look to run some Rally courses. We wanted to test the waters first to see how much interest there was in our area, and were pleasantly surprised.

I think one of the really good things is the heelwork, it's not as strict as Obedience, so the dog can work in a natural way alonside the handler, at a distance that suits the dog (very pertinent for small dog owners in my opinion). I'm a canine massage therapist, and when I watch Obedience and how the dogs work it is so unbalanced and so one-sided. Also the dog isn't looking where it's going or walking in a natural fashion,