• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Harleys Rally Obedience Trial

Sabby

We had our first big Rally Obedience Trial of this year yesterday. I know not many people know about Rally Obedience in the UK, it's big in the US. It's becoming more popular in the UK and it's a great sport for the ordinary Pet owning public who just want to work with their dog after they done their puppy training.

Me and Harley entered three trials and got 205 & and twice 201 points out of 210 points achievable. I am very proud of Harley as it was a long day leaving home at 5am. But he enjoyed every bit of it and that's what it is all about having fun.

011.jpg

Fantastic!
Well done both of you. I love the photo - it looks like your other two dogs are proud of Harley too. :rah:

Very well done. :rah:

Was that an APDT Rally Obedience or a Talking Dogs Rally O trial? I'm only asking because we're starting to teach the TD version at my training school (my first foray into being a trainer rather than a client) so I'm really interested. I haven't managed to compete in a trial yet as all the dates for the TD trials clash with other things. I may look at the APDT ones as well, although there are some differences between the two and I wouldn't want to get confused. It doesn't take much. :bang::rotfl::rotfl:

Very well done. :rah:

Was that an APDT Rally Obedience or a Talking Dogs Rally O trial? I'm only asking because we're starting to teach the TD version at my training school (my first foray into being a trainer rather than a client) so I'm really interested. I haven't managed to compete in a trial yet as all the dates for the TD trials clash with other things. I may look at the APDT ones as well, although there are some differences between the two and I wouldn't want to get confused. It doesn't take much. :bang::rotfl::rotfl:

Hi Mad Pip
APDT is UK Rally and it is a lot more strict.
I trained and entered TD Rallys for the last year, but things happened (politics) and one of the main judges left and started her own Rally called (PEDRO) Pet Dog Rally Obedience. I only enter their trails now. You also don’t have to pay a fee and register your dog for PEDRO Competitions like you have to with TD.
PEDRO's next Trail is in Essex/Black Notley on the 19th June. So not that far for you.

I didn't realise there was a third organisation running Rally trials. I'll have to have a look at that, as you say Black Notley isn't too far away, but think I'm busy that weekend (we're in a display team for our dog training school and summer weekends tend to be taken up with displays). I'll check my diary though.

Congrats! Rally is something I have thought would be fun.

I am obviously bias but Rally is great. There are so manypeople out there that want to do something with their dogs and can’t run to do agility or find Obedience to strict. Rally is the perfect in between. At the higher level you have a jump and a tunnel and there are over 82 exercises on 4 different levels to complete.
The KC has already shown interest in Rally and no doubt they will bring out their own version. I am sure Rally will become more popular overthe next few years. When we done the demo at the Pet Show at Olympia a lot of people showed interest and ask where they could find a club that trains Rally. Unfortunately there aren’t that many clubs that do Rally yet.

I am in the progress of staring a Rally Club where I live. And there are so many Cavaliers that do Rally.

I think it's great as well. At our club we've run a workshop on it and were oversubscribed, so we're running another one next month. Then we'll look to run some Rally courses. We wanted to test the waters first to see how much interest there was in our area, and were pleasantly surprised.

I think one of the really good things is the heelwork, it's not as strict as Obedience, so the dog can work in a natural way alonside the handler, at a distance that suits the dog (very pertinent for small dog owners in my opinion). I'm a canine massage therapist, and when I watch Obedience and how the dogs work it is so unbalanced and so one-sided. Also the dog isn't looking where it's going or walking in a natural fashion,

I love the picture! Congrats on the win. I tried rally a few times with my now passed girl. I liked it and hope to trial with my boy in the next year. Takes lots of practice to get the signs right, and for me that was the most intimidating thing about rally. But I love the fact you can talk to your dog while trialing.

Rally O in the North East of England

Congratulations, it is really hard to find Rally O classes in the North East of England so I have introduced them to my dog activity and training centre called cleverpawz in Washington, Tyne and Wear. They have only been running for two weeks and are already filling up.b*n*n*

Congratulations, it is really hard to find Rally O classes in the North East of England so I have introduced them to my dog activity and training centre called cleverpawz in Washington, Tyne and Wear. They have only been running for two weeks and are already filling up.b*n*n*

What Rally are you doing talking Dog or Uk Rally?

Hi, I'm teaching the UK Rally, didn't know there was another option in the UK?

I'm teaching Talking Dogs Rally - UK rally is the APDT one isn't it? They're very similar to each other (and to Pet Dog Rally Obedience which is another organisation running Rally in the UK). Although some of the signs are slightly different between the three it's all the same principal so I'm not sure it matters which one you choose. It's all fairly new to the UK and I'm sure it will take off in a big way popularity wise over the coming years. I would like to see it get to the popularity levels of agility, which also has different organisations running shows.cl*p

I'm teaching Talking Dogs Rally - UK rally is the APDT one isn't it? They're very similar to each other (and to Pet Dog Rally Obedience which is another organisation running Rally in the UK). Although some of the signs are slightly different between the three it's all the same principal so I'm not sure it matters which one you choose. It's all fairly new to the UK and I'm sure it will take off in a big way popularity wise over the coming years. I would like to see it get to the popularity levels of agility, which also has different organisations running shows.cl*p

Yes UK Rally is APDT. Very strict. In TD and PDRO when you enter their competitions you compete against yourself and as long as you score 170 points you will get a rosette. You only compete against other people in the National Rankings, in UK Rally you compete against everybody else and I think only get placed to 6th place, you also have to qualify to enter the main trial. (Correct me if I am wrong)
The founder of PDRO Rally is also a UK Rally Judge. I would like to see a UK Rally Trial just to see how they judge and how strict it is.

Back