• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sm aggrevation after grooming?

Blondiemonster

I brought Blondie to the groomers because my bf insisted (shedding..).
She came back and hours later has clearly aggrevated symptoms.
As a matter of fact, I've never seen quiet like this. She's rubbing her head,
lies on the floor and doesn't wanna move and seems in discomfort. She seems mad at her hindlegs! Everytime she wants to play or do something it seems like they "twitch" and then she bites at them and gets really really mad...
This all happened right around when the gabapentin 8 hour mark was coming up, and I gave her the gabapentin just a half an hour ago and gave her a teeny chunk of tramadol left from he spaying surgery. We are already seeing the neuro once every 3 months , and obviously if this doesn't subside I will be going in sooner but,
is this common after grooming? she seems to be seriously irritated by something on her back leg as well... Is it possible they aggrevated the nerve endings somehow? I don't know.. Just guessing. I knew this groomer thing was a bad idea. Darn. Thanks for any advice.. p.s I should add this seems to be a similar episode like last year, which i what led me to find out about the SM... LAt yearm It lasted a few days after which we got her MRI'd and they did a myringotomy and the symptoms subsided. It was a very acute episode. It seems to be the same thing now and I'm really frustrated...

Last edited:
I think it's possible that the grooming causes some level of upset to her.
Our Daisy is clearly annoyed when she comes home.
But sometimes a visit to a groomer is essential when you can't get to groom her yourself.(Daisy is at the groomer this morning as I have a trapped nerve in my neck:()
Some things I've found which can help.
Ask the groomer not to use heavily scented products.
Trim her ears and coat and thin out some of the heavier coat.
And finally,not string her up by the neck on the grooming table.
I expect vigorous dematting would be unpleasant for her too and we've learned to avoid slicker brushes.
Try giving her a blanket with her own scent on it and she might feel a bit more relaxed.
Hopefully she'll settle for you and not have any more problems after her visit to the salon:)
Sins

I'm so sorry :( I have heard grooming can be aggrevating. I remember one groomer being particularly bad. Sins gave good ideas. I told mine not to use anything around her neck.

Also their feet can be extra sensitive and I would tell them if it seems to hurt her cutting toe nails to leave them. I would give ella tramadol before and I found one familiar with condition. Wow! Actually shows cavaliers but I have had one really bad experience that led me to being real picky.

Please keep us updated.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Unfortunately she has not calmed down. Not even the tramadol helped at all. It all reminds me a lot of what happened a year ago: the sudden onset of problems. The massive problem here is that i once again am clueless wheter it is the psom or sm that is aggrevated. She is acting really, really strange. Its as if her hind legs keep spasming which causeher to completely freak out. She doesnt yelp but she seems to be so irritated and frustrated its really hard to explain. I dont know what to do. Wheiter to go straight for a miryngotomy ( last year these exact symptoms were follow by a miryngotomy which caused relieve). Wheither to go to dr west and ask for prednisone, or do sonething else or wait a few days. Like i said the whole psom thing is seriously annoying.

I would call your neurologist for advice; that sounds fairly serious.

A lot of SM dogs cannot tolerate grooming -- they can be touched and manipulated in ways that can be painful as groomers don't really understand that even brushing, or the massaging that goes with washing, can hurt. A lot of us keep our dogs ears short as well or the coat, if the dog is bothered by bushing or if claws get caught in hair (this happens with two of mine so I keep their ears short).

It is hard to say whether the grooming brought this on; it could be coincidental. If it was grooming it really should stop very quickly. SM dogs do tend to go through good and bad spells. If the existing meds are not managing a bad spell then you'll want to get a mix that will. Hopefully this isn;t a further decline overall but just a bad spell. :flwr:

Thanks Karlin. I just spoke with Dr West. He is giving her prednisone for 3 days starting tonight. Re-evaluate by Saturday...
This is so very weird, and I know people thought I was crazy when I first brought this up. Last year when this "attack" happened I had frontlined her the day before. Vet was laughing at me for thinking there was a relation. Guess what I did the day before yesterday? Frontlined her. Nobody was laughing when I brought it up this time. I know frontline works on the neurological system of ticks and fleas, and when I do a google search there are many other who claim Frontline to be very toxic. I wonder if it aggrevates her neurological system. A coincedence or not, we shall see.. I hope, just like you, thatt this is just an isolated event and that the pred helps.

Oh geez, I would not use Frontline again then -- it may well be a neurological reaction. This can happen in a tiny number of dogs. I would guess that is your problem.

Concerns About Fipronil

While the typical side effect to Frontline is skin reactions, its active ingredient, fipronil, lists other potential concerns when used on canines.

Skin problems – As stated earlier, fipronil can cause irritation to your dog’s skin. This irritation can go beyond simple itching as the scratching can cause ulceration and open sores.
Nervous system damage – Fipronil is a neurotoxin, causing damage to the fleas’ nervous system. It can have the same effect on your dog, causing symptoms such as convulsions, body twitches, loss of appetite, unsteady gait and other effects.
Carcinogen – Fipronil has been shown to cause thyroid cancer in dogs. Because of its carcinogenic qualities, it is important for the person applying the Frontline product to thoroughly wash their hands with soap and warm water to adequately remove the product from their skin.
Organ damage – Autopsies have shown an accumulation of fipronil in canine livers and kidneys, causing an increase in organ weight. Fipronil has also been shown to alter the levels of hormone secreted by the thyroid gland.
Infertility – Fipronil has also been shown to have an effect on a dog’s fertility. Its use has led to smaller litter size, difficulty in conception, decreased litter weights and increase in litter deaths.
While Frontline products have had successful use in the control of flea populations, there have been negative results seen when dogs have been maintained for extended periods on the products. The fipronil builds up in your dog’s body, giving it the chance to cause problems. If Frontline is your choice for flea control, consider taking a 3 to 6 month break during low flea infestation periods to allow your dog’s body to rid itself of any toxic build up that may have occurred. This will help to avoid the potential of any problems arising from the fipronil.

My emphasis. There have been reports of dogs with these issues. See:

http://www.vetinfo.com/side-effects-fipronil-frontline-dogs.html

I just called Dr. West's office, and it doesn't seem they believe me about the frontline. I basically begged for a prescription for a muscle relaxer, which is what I read online would help with the tremors. Instead she's on emergency pred 5 mg twice daily for 3 days. Still waiting for a phone call from Dr. West. It makes me angry that it gets blamed on the SM while there is an obvious correlation between to totally isolated events.

I just called Dr. West's office, and it doesn't seem they believe me about the frontline. I basically begged for a prescription for a muscle relaxer, which is what I read online would help with the tremors. Instead she's on emergency pred 5 mg twice daily for 3 days. Still waiting for a phone call from Dr. West. It makes me angry that it gets blamed on the SM while there is an obvious correlation between to totally isolated events.

So confirmed that Dr. west won't give me the muscle relaxer benzo. even though I know for a fact that it would help and that it won't harm her. Very frustrating.

Well, it could be either -- it is very hard to make a guess. Preds will quite possibly help regardless and that is a tiny and short dose. You could try your vet (or a different new vet) for the muscle relaxant. But just be aware that it is good to be a bit sceptical about what people say should be done, online. The excerpts I posted come from either vet sites or were reported by a legit news source. A lot of what is said should or must be done by people online in a medical context are posts by people who really don't know ( I am sure many of us with medical conditions or illnesses have read forums where someone that clearly had something prescribed for their particular situation posts a completely misleading post to someone stating they absolutely should do X or Y when there's no way a different person should take the course of action prescribed specifically for them).

I'd have taken the approach you did -- consult a medical professional with the information I had and ask for advice. If I felt strongly this wasn't the direction I wanted to go then I'd see if a different professional will agree that a muscle relaxant is the right approach. If the tremors are self-limiting and brief I probably wouldn't worry about it.

I would also look for a non-chemical way of managing fleas in future. Don't forget SM dogs have chronic disease and often a weakened immune system. Thus there's a need to be cautious with any chemical treatments, vaccines etc. Personally, I only use flea treatments about twice a year at most.

Karlin She took prednisone, 3 hours ago but so far she is still acting funny but it may take time. Not sure how fast it works. Especially if this is related to sm i would expect improvement. Will keep you posted...

I don't have anything to add, I just wanted to say I'm so sorry you and Blondie are going through this, and I'll be saying a little prayer for her.

I think, just recently, we discussed holistic approaches to fleas.....probably if you search here you can find it. I can't remember where it might be or what the title of the thread was. But, there were some good suggestions.

My older (non Cav) diabetic I am VERY careful about what I give him anymore as he has so many issues. I just won't subject him to too much anymore.

Poor sweet Blondie!

I don't have anything to add, I just wanted to say I'm so sorry you and Blondie are going through this, and I'll be saying a little prayer for her.

I think, just recently, we discussed holistic approaches to fleas.....probably if you search here you can find it. I can't remember where it might be or what the title of the thread was. But, there were some good suggestions.

My older (non Cav) diabetic I am VERY careful about what I give him anymore as he has so many issues. I just won't subject him to too much anymore.

Poor sweet Blondie!

Thanks Claire's mommy... I am very, very worried. So not fair that these gentle souls have to suffer whatsoever. It eats me up inside. think i can almost use a valium myself. :x Lord, what a day.

Oh I am so sorry to you and Blondie!! I don't have any experience or advice with this, but I just wanted to say that Brooky and I are thinking of you. I think it is the middle of the night in NYC right now, so do give us an update in the morning to let us know how she is going and how she made it through the night.
Keep being the great mom that you are, because it sounds like Blondie needs all that extra lovin' and energy she cam get right now.
Poor little thing!

Blondie is improved today but still has some tremors. Keep fingers crossed for more improvement.. Thanks for your thoughts brooklyns mom...

I'm just reading about poor Blondie! I sure hope she is feeling better. I'm very sorry she is feeling bad. :( You're a good mommy, I know she's going to be ok!
Also, thanks for the info on Frontline, I'm going to check into a more natural approach for flea control I'm thinking.
My fingers and Ruby's paws are crossed for your girlie to be feeling back to her normal self real soon! :)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Back