Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sm aggrevation after grooming?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Also:

Tremors in Dogs

Step 1:
    The New York Times again notes "a large number" of anecdotal reports of dogs experiencing tremors after receiving a dose of Frontline.
    http://www.dailypuppy.com/articles/h...0-2b4900d90eb9
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I just called Dr. West's office, and it doesn't seem they believe me about the frontline. I basically begged for a prescription for a muscle relaxer, which is what I read online would help with the tremors. Instead she's on emergency pred 5 mg twice daily for 3 days. Still waiting for a phone call from Dr. West. It makes me angry that it gets blamed on the SM while there is an obvious correlation between to totally isolated events.
    Mom of Blondie aka The Monster, my furry daughter and loyal friend!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blondiemonster View Post
    I just called Dr. West's office, and it doesn't seem they believe me about the frontline. I basically begged for a prescription for a muscle relaxer, which is what I read online would help with the tremors. Instead she's on emergency pred 5 mg twice daily for 3 days. Still waiting for a phone call from Dr. West. It makes me angry that it gets blamed on the SM while there is an obvious correlation between to totally isolated events.
    So confirmed that Dr. west won't give me the muscle relaxer benzo. even though I know for a fact that it would help and that it won't harm her. Very frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, it could be either -- it is very hard to make a guess. Preds will quite possibly help regardless and that is a tiny and short dose. You could try your vet (or a different new vet) for the muscle relaxant. But just be aware that it is good to be a bit sceptical about what people say should be done, online. The excerpts I posted come from either vet sites or were reported by a legit news source. A lot of what is said should or must be done by people online in a medical context are posts by people who really don't know ( I am sure many of us with medical conditions or illnesses have read forums where someone that clearly had something prescribed for their particular situation posts a completely misleading post to someone stating they absolutely should do X or Y when there's no way a different person should take the course of action prescribed specifically for them).

I'd have taken the approach you did -- consult a medical professional with the information I had and ask for advice. If I felt strongly this wasn't the direction I wanted to go then I'd see if a different professional will agree that a muscle relaxant is the right approach. If the tremors are self-limiting and brief I probably wouldn't worry about it.

I would also look for a non-chemical way of managing fleas in future. Don't forget SM dogs have chronic disease and often a weakened immune system. Thus there's a need to be cautious with any chemical treatments, vaccines etc. Personally, I only use flea treatments about twice a year at most.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Karlin She took prednisone, 3 hours ago but so far she is still acting funny but it may take time. Not sure how fast it works. Especially if this is related to sm i would expect improvement. Will keep you posted...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have anything to add, I just wanted to say I'm so sorry you and Blondie are going through this, and I'll be saying a little prayer for her.

I think, just recently, we discussed holistic approaches to fleas.....probably if you search here you can find it. I can't remember where it might be or what the title of the thread was. But, there were some good suggestions.

My older (non Cav) diabetic I am VERY careful about what I give him anymore as he has so many issues. I just won't subject him to too much anymore.

Poor sweet Blondie!
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mommytoClaire View Post
    I don't have anything to add, I just wanted to say I'm so sorry you and Blondie are going through this, and I'll be saying a little prayer for her.

I think, just recently, we discussed holistic approaches to fleas.....probably if you search here you can find it. I can't remember where it might be or what the title of the thread was. But, there were some good suggestions.

My older (non Cav) diabetic I am VERY careful about what I give him anymore as he has so many issues. I just won't subject him to too much anymore.

Poor sweet Blondie!
    Thanks Claire's mommy... I am very, very worried. So not fair that these gentle souls have to suffer whatsoever. It eats me up inside. think i can almost use a valium myself. Lord, what a day.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I am so sorry to you and Blondie!! I don't have any experience or advice with this, but I just wanted to say that Brooky and I are thinking of you. I think it is the middle of the night in NYC right now, so do give us an update in the morning to let us know how she is going and how she made it through the night.
    Keep being the great mom that you are, because it sounds like Blondie needs all that extra lovin' and energy she cam get right now.
    Poor little thing!

Post Thanks / Like

Blondie is improved today but still has some tremors. Keep fingers crossed for more improvement.. Thanks for your thoughts brooklyns mom...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just reading about poor Blondie! I sure hope she is feeling better. I'm very sorry she is feeling bad. You're a good mommy, I know she's going to be ok!
    Also, thanks for the info on Frontline, I'm going to check into a more natural approach for flea control I'm thinking.
    My fingers and Ruby's paws are crossed for your girlie to be feeling back to her normal self real soon!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Jessie, mama of:
    Ruby, tri-color, born 3/17/2009 Otis, lab-hound mix
    You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us. ~Robert Louis Stevenson