• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sm aggrevation after grooming?

Ella didn't take a topical treatment but I don't know if any other sm cavaliers on forum have taken frontline and NOT had issue. I'm not trying to draw conclusions but I really don't know if this needs further investigating?

It seems strange that 3 of the usa SM cavaliers all had this reaction on the board. If it is somehow connected that's something that maybe others or frontline should know?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I agree Anne. I could copy and paste part Irene's an reptigirls stories, and send to Dr. West and Marino but my experience is that vet's are apprehensive when it comes to those kind of issues especially vs. giant manufacturers of a product that most vets endorse!!!!! But i do agree it doesn't seem safe in SM dogs, 3 dogs on the sm forum alone (and those are the ones that read my thread) have had a bad experience so I bet it's the top of the iceberg

Well 3 of the most active people had similar stories and like you said who have read your thread. Ella took confortus or sentinal something like that. I'm not sure how it worked but for a dog having neurological condition maybe treatment that works on fleas neurological system might be of interest.... especialty to neurologists and other owners. Wouldn't want to make false claim BUT too coincidental for my taste.

Hum.. I really wonder now too. Maybe someone should start a thread "Issues with FRONTLINE" or something similar so more people will read it? When I first saw the title to the thread I was thinking brushing/nail trimming issues. Not frontline issues...

I used the same batch of frontline on Blitz & Flash and they were fine. (Well as fine as a CM/SM dog can be.) They didn't show any obvious issues that made me wonder. So i'm sure it varies by dog?

I always thought about reactions to flea meds as skin issues... NEVER once did it cross my mind it could be neurological.

I hope we don't have another reaction like that. Fleas are getting BAD here. Even with prevention we are getting fleas in the house :yuk:

I know. we are going to the beach on vacation in July and last year brought home fleas, ew. I treated with Capstar and Program since frontline didn't kill them and brought on issues last year too, but the fleas were still there. Capstar and Program worked but I wonder what im gonna do this year.. I don't even wanna use anything that's not holistic but also dont want fleas. I'm not saying ALL Sm dogs will show sensitivity to fronline but 1 out of 3 or one out of 5 is bad enough. :(

Maybe Karlin can change the title to "SM and frontline"?
It wont let me.. Also I just emailed Dr. West. I was very respectful about the situation but explained it all including the other stories on the board and said "if there is any correlation at all between SOME dogs with SM not tolerating frontline plus than it's worth the mention"
Maybe you guys can also send a note to your neuro? They may not believe it at first but if the next time a patient complaints of this after using frontline then maybe it will be in the back of their brain...

If you search the internet for Frontline & Neuro problems there are lots of sites that pop up with people who have had many issues with it.

Although this does not specifically name Frontline I thought I would point it out..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35914331/ns/health-pet_health/t/pet-deaths-prompt-warnings-flea-meds/

"Dog and cat owners say their pets have suffered burns and welts on their skin; started to drool excessively; begun to shake uncontrollably; lost control of their legs or experienced other neurological problems after using the flea and tick treatments."

"In a 29-page report, the EPA said the majority of problems for dogs occurred in smaller dogs, weighing 10 to 20 pounds."

We used frontline on our boys last year, I'll never do it again. My vet says that what happened wasn't anything to do with frontline, but I'm convinced it was.

Nearly 24 hours after treatment Jake started to look sorry for himself, and I noticed that his urine was orange. We went straight to the vet, who told us his liver was failing and he'd probably not survive another 24 hours. They put him on a saline drip to try and flush whatever was causing the problem out of his system and we waited. Thankfully he started to improve, all of the tests that had come back in " the red zone " started to drop back towards the normal line, and we were able to bring him home the next day. The vet doesn't know what caused what they are calling "liver shock" and don't know how he got better.

We hadn't used frontline in years as we've had no problems with fleas etc, and Jake went from being a happy if elderly dog to a very sick dog in less that a day after treatment. I can't prove anything, but I'll never risk it again.

Scary stuff. I would love to know what if anything those of you with SM afflicted cavies use to prevent fleas?

Lynn, I am planning a yearly neuro exam for Jack in June, will mention to Dr. West how Jack's symptoms increased for a few days post application. I will let you know what he says.

Scary stuff. I would love to know what if anything those of you with SM afflicted cavies use to prevent fleas?

Lynn, I am planning a yearly neuro exam for Jack in June, will mention to Dr. West how Jack's symptoms increased for a few days post application. I will let you know what he says.

I'm so sorry about Jack. I hope Dr west will be able to help.

Please let me know what he says irene! It would be very interesting...

Back