• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Random Ruperts Fund Question...

BrooklynMom

...I was inspired by Kate's recent walk, and I was wondering, does anything like Rupert's fund existent in Australia? Can we help Ruperts fund get here if not?

You can support Rupert's Fund from anywhere in the world :)

International plans are slowly being developed ...

As Nicki said, donations can come from anywhere in the world, and as cavaliers are all fairly closely related in broad terms, all these scans directly help the breed everywhere. Most Australian dogs would have come from UK imports.

In order to have the possibility of scanning some Australian dogs for the research, people over there would need to find a neurologist that would work from Australia with UK researchers Clare Rusbridge and Penny Knowler according to the scanning protocols. There are breeders there who would likely help with getting word out about scanning. Funds would be transferred to cover the costs of the scan from the central fund. If anyone wants to take on the task of this -- which will need commitment -- contact Penny Knowler about how to proceed.

Again, only dogs that are helpful to research are possible candidates for scanning. This means dogs older than 5/6 that are completely asymptomatic for SM that also have club registration and in particular, a pedigree that helps researchers unravel the puzzle of SM inheritance and development. Males given priority especially studs as these are especially influential dogs and fewer males have been scanned.

Some have misunderstood this to be a fund to help fund scans for people who have dogs that might have SM, or for any older asymptomatic dog, but it actually has quite a specific purpose. (y)

Thanks ladies. I guess I never thought about how a lot of dogs here would have come from UK import at some time.
I will support Rupert's Fund from across the ocean then however I can!! Hopefully someone will be able to dedicate themselves here soon (Rupert's Fund, Neurologists, breeders and everyone alike!).

:)

Thanks ladies. I guess I never thought about how a lot of dogs here would have come from UK import at some time.
I will support Rupert's Fund from across the ocean then however I can!! Hopefully someone will be able to dedicate themselves here soon (Rupert's Fund, Neurologists, breeders and everyone alike!).

:)

All cavaliers, wherever they are in the world, will go back to UK imports. Some will have gone over in the very early days, some in the 70s & 80s, and UK breeders are still sending cavaliers abroad now. It is a very profitable business.

Many if not most of the top winning dogs in Australia, USA, Sweden, Denmark, Germany will have recent UK bred dogs in their pedigree, which means that any health problems here in the UK will have been imported with them.

There are some well known Australian breeders scanning their cavaliers.

Back