Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clueless people!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clueless people!!!

Some people are so clueless...I have just read a Cavalier advertised for stud...2.5 years old and sired 17 litters!!!!!! And they are proud of that!! Another on the same page is just 17 months old and proven already... Makes me so angry!!!!

Sorry just had to rant for a min!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When Clancy was young, I had people telling me I should breed him. I explained he was purchased on a neuter contract. They would respond I should breed him anyway, and just sell the unregistered puppies for slightly less.

When I explained Clancy did not meet the breed standard, they looked at me like I was from Mars.
    ~Denise and Clancy, Dillon (gone to The Bridge), and baby Oliver

Post Thanks / Like

Some people just have no scruples. Reminds me of the local farm who let their dogs go walkies unattended, I just met one who's now pregnant! Grrrrrr. Can't say anything or do anything either, I've already tried.

Some people don't look at animals as living creatures with thoughts and feelings, some consider them as just 'property'.
    Desrae, guardian of two tri-coloured cavaliers, Belle 3 years old and Bobby 1 year/8 months.

Post Thanks / Like

The mind does boggle, doesn't it, at how stupid people can be.

When we got Pippin (B&T) we kept getting told we ought to breed from him because he was so gorgeous. Well, I'm not disputing that he's gorgeous but when I pointed out his significant overbite and said that I wouldn't want to risk passing that on to any puppies and it made him unsuitable for breeding I was looked at as if I had two heads and had escaped from the local asylum. The other comment was that we ought to mate him with Maddie (Blenheim). I used to give up after explaining she was spayed so wouldn't be having puppies. She's a bit on the small side, so again wouldn't really be suitable. Again, she is definitely gorgeous.

Post Thanks / Like

Grrrrrrr.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Some people are so clueless...I have just read a Cavalier advertised for stud...2.5 years old and sired 17 litters!!!!!! And they are proud of that!! Another on the same page is just 17 months old and proven already... Makes me so angry!!!!

Sorry just had to rant for a min!!
    I presume that was on an internet site? These owners probably don't belong to a breed club and would have little idea of the health problems in Cavaliers. The KC should refuse to register Cavalier puppies born to underage parents.

What makes me angry is the fact that members of breed club committees, the people who should be setting an example by breeding responsibly, are no better.
    One little dog co-owned by a Cavalier Club committee member was used at stud for the first time at 9 months ( mated to a 14 month bitch ) and I suspect he easily exceeded 17 litters before he was two and a half years old.

I have just received the Breed Record Supplement so I will do a little bit of checking.

It is one thing to be a clueless BYB, but when long established breeders ignore the health guidelines published in their own club rules, then that smacks of commercial exploitation of the most cynical kind by someone that does know better.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Why assume that it was on an internet site Margaret. Where I live I have been approached by people with other breeds who want to crossbreed 'designer' dogs with one of mine as well as Cavalier pet owners who want to 'make a little bit of money' or 'teach the kids the facts of life'. I lost count of the number of people who have got my 'phone number from somewhere or other and want to use Winston or Joe for stud.

Trying to explain the principles of responsible breeding or health testing to people like this is a total waste of time.

I would like to see a law passed that no puppy is to be sold from untested parents, who must be 2 1/2 years or older at the time of mating, that every puppy has to be microchipped by the age of 6 months and that every litter has to be eye and heart screened by 8 weeks. I would also add that no bitch is to be bred more than once per year or have more than 4 litters during her lifetime. And of course I would add that puppies are not to be sold without their mother being available for inspection.

How would I enforce all that? A very good question, but given enough exposure by the media an awful lot of idiots would give up that 'nice little earner'.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

The Kennel Club won't change a single thing.
    Unless you're a member of their ABS scheme, they'll claim to be powerless to enforce any "guidelines or recommendations".
    So basically whether you're a BYB,puppy farmer or top exhibitor,feel free to breed early and breed often!!
    But heaven forbid you put a squirt of lacquer on your pooch !
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

Last summer when walking with Ben in St Andrews, Fife, I was approached by a young couple who had the tiniest bitch that I have ever seen, they said they were looking for a similar sized dog to mate her with. when I mentioned breeding guidelines, mitral valve disease and SM I was met with blank stares, they had never heard of any of these ailments. They had been given their little bitch from an aunt who could not look after her and were just out to "make money", at that point Sandra detected the changing pitch (anger) in my voice and "encouraged me to move on.

Also closer to home I have recently spoken to a couple who had recently mated their Cavaliers and were hoping for lots of puppies to make some money, again they had not heard of the breeding guidelines or SM but had heard of Cavaliers with "bad hearts"
    In both cases I just could not believe it how people could own a particular breed and be so ignorant of its serious health problems, where have these people been the last few years?
    Ben (Blenheim)

Still missing Toby (Blenheim) and Ciara (Black and Tan)
    www.tobydug.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Clueless people!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Last summer when walking with Ben in St Andrews, Fife, I was approached by a young couple who had the tiniest bitch that I have ever seen, they said they were looking for a similar sized dog to mate her with. when I mentioned breeding guidelines, mitral valve disease and SM I was met with blank stares, they had never heard of any of these ailments. They had been given their little bitch from an aunt who could not look after her and were just out to "make money", at that point Sandra detected the changing pitch (anger) in my voice and "encouraged me to move on.

Also closer to home I have recently spoken to a couple who had recently mated their Cavaliers and were hoping for lots of puppies to make some money, again they had not heard of the breeding guidelines or SM but had heard of Cavaliers with "bad hearts"
    In both cases I just could not believe it how people could own a particular breed and be so ignorant of its serious health problems, where have these people been the last few years?

CLUELESS PEOPLE !!!!!

What would be interesting to find out from Cavalier Owners on this List , would be how many of their Cavaliers with Health Problems, SM or MVD were bought from Cavalier Club Breeders and how many from Puppy Farms or BYB Breeders

I will start this off ,our 4 who died from MVD at an Early age all were bred by UK CKCS CLUB Cavalier Breeders.

One who had Epilepsy also from a CKCS CLUB Breeder.

I do hope that this answer will be discovered by the Nation- Wide Vets' Survey being carried out at Present.

This Survey has 76.000 Dogs on the Pilot Scheme just now.

This information will at last give Hard Facts and enough Raw Data to Enable Statisically Significant Conclusions .

It will be the next step that Defines Cavalier Breeders worth as Breeders and the Future of our Cavaliers.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)