• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

symptom of CHF??

sweethearts

Hello everyone. I hope I am in the right thread for this.My Mrs. Beasley tri will 2 in a couple weeks. Lately she seems to pant a lot more from outdoor activites than she used to. She also spends more time laying around, but stil enjoys her play. She has also had this "gaging, or chicking" type of sound she makes that seems to last for a couple minutes or so on and off. Like somethings stuck. Well, I have concerns because I googles this expecting to see that it just means they've been eating too much or something when I saw it could be CHF. Do her "symptoms" sound like a normal dog for her age, or something that needs to looked into? Thanks for your time!

I'd mention both to your vet on your next regular trip in unless she seems to struggle in which case I'd make an appointment now.

Also have read about the issue of brachycephalic faces on www.cavalierhealth.org. For some cavaliers, this is actually a potentially serious health issue as it can cause difficulty breathing. Gagging noises and heavy panting could be signs that this is more of a problem for your cavalier and may need extra care or surgery. It also may be a signal to be very careful about exercise especially on warm days as you do not want her struggling and unable to breathe adequately.

Thanks for the information of possibilities. Today, she seems to being good. (go figure lol) I don't feel it is that extreme that we need an immediete vet appt, but certainly would do if needed. I will bring it up next appt. I hear pugs have problems with their breathing too.

Yes they do. The chances are you are just hearing noises with your cavalier that you don't need to worry about. :) You might try videoing this behaviour on your phone a few times as examples to show your vet, just to be sure there are no issues and then hopefully that will reassure you and your vet! :)

I agree that Mrs. Beasley's behaviors probably are not heart-related and more likely a reverse sneeze. But I would have her examined by your regular veterinarian. He can listen to her mitral valve with a stethoscope and should be able to detect any murmur loud enough to affect her energy level.

If he detects a murmur, I suggest that you plan to take her to a heart exam clinic nearby within the next few months. There is a list of the upcoming ones at http://www.cavalierhealth.org/health_clinics.htm#Table_1 and while I do not see on there any currently listed ones closer than an hour drive from Bristol, I would expect that others will be added eventually.

Upcoming cavailer shows include on in Clinton, New Jersey in August and York, Penna. in November. There are supposed to be heart clinics at both of them, conducted by board certified veterinary cardiologists for reasonable fees, and they are listed on that webpage.

Back