Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you more alert now after having a symptomatic SM cavalier?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goda View Post
    Yes. I even feel angry at all the vets who told me Luka's itching was a food allergy because had it been caught earlier it may have been contained and he wouldn't have cysts down his entire spinal cord.

I am super alert now. I can't help beating myself up about not recognizing it sooner but Luka is my first pure bred cavalier.
    Don't beat yourself up about it. We all learn and maybe its good to have a balanced knowledge aware but know really what to look for. We can't think of past. I wish I did what shannon did and recorded ella. Should I have been more firm? Would it made a difference? We do what we can and please don't beat yourself up.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anniemac View Post
    I wish I did what shannon did and recorded ella. Should I have been more firm? Would it made a difference?
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    I'm really glad I have the recordings... its a good base point for me.... Whenever I "think" someone is having a "bad" SM flare up... I look back and realize that WOW they are still so much better then they were.. Then the SM flare will go away and everyone will be back to normal.

Also it is good so I can pass on the info. I passed on the videos to the original breeders but I don't think it did much good. Of course there dogs are SM free and they have not done any testing. I even passed on the video links to a vet and a few vet techs. Anything to spread the word about SM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think that it most certainly makes you more aware and over anxious.

After loosing nearly 2 years with Ruby where she could have been managed on pain releif instead of suffering I knew I was not to make the same mistake with Charlie.

I got him MRI'd just 4 months after bringing him home- he was around 14 months at that time and although I ran the risk of not having the insurance pay for it if it came back clear- it was a risk I was willing to take as by that time I beleived something would show up.

He was shown to have CM and dialated ventricles and he has been on Cimetidine since then which has definatly curbed the scratching.

I do beleive that when I get him scanned again in around 6 months time (which will e approx 1.5 yrs since the last) if it hasn't progressed to SM that it will be down to early intervention- something I wish I had the chance of with Ruby.

I can't say for certain that I wont get another Cavalier but I think it highly unlikely- after the heartbrake of my first two, and only two Cavaliers having so many health problems they will probably be my only two

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play

Post Thanks / Like

Default Did you get your dog's from a breeder?

Quote Originally Posted by Karen and Ruby View Post
    I think that it most certainly makes you more aware and over anxious.

After loosing nearly 2 years with Ruby where she could have been managed on pain releif instead of suffering I knew I was not to make the same mistake with Charlie.

I got him MRI'd just 4 months after bringing him home- he was around 14 months at that time and although I ran the risk of not having the insurance pay for it if it came back clear- it was a risk I was willing to take as by that time I beleived something would show up.

He was shown to have CM and dialated ventricles and he has been on Cimetidine since then which has definatly curbed the scratching.

I do beleive that when I get him scanned again in around 6 months time (which will e approx 1.5 yrs since the last) if it hasn't progressed to SM that it will be down to early intervention- something I wish I had the chance of with Ruby.

I can't say for certain that I wont get another Cavalier but I think it highly unlikely- after the heartbrake of my first two, and only two Cavaliers having so many health problems they will probably be my only two
    If so did you contact them to let them know what was going on, and if so what was their response?

I contacted my breeder who hasn't responded yet, which is actually very upsetting to me and her response to my concern was that it could be an ear problem; instead of the natural response to say "I am sorry to hear that etc".

I know it's hard to have pets with health problems but you shouldn't let loss destroy your capability to love another little Cavie. Though it's easy for me to say I guess I haven't lost one yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goda View Post
    If so did you contact them to let them know what was going on, and if so what was their response?

I contacted my breeder who hasn't responded yet, which is actually very upsetting to me and her response to my concern was that it could be an ear problem; instead of the natural response to say "I am sorry to hear that etc".

I know it's hard to have pets with health problems but you shouldn't let loss destroy your capability to love another little Cavie. Though it's easy for me to say I guess I haven't lost one yet.

Ruby came from a breeder and I did let her know- she didn't seem overly concerned and claimed she hadn't heard of it but seeing as by that time Rubys parents were both over breeding age - (mum would've been 6 and dad 7) she wouldn't be using them again.

Charlie was a rescue so I knew that it was a true possibility when I got him anyway.

I haven't lost either of them yet but, Ruby roo is my soul mate and I don't think I will ever love another like I do her- the love I have for Charlie is different and I don't have the same bond with him- although it is coming slowly!

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play