Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need pros & cons of having two females instead male & female

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need pros & cons of having two females instead male & female

Some of you know that we have been looking for a male Cavvie to complete our family... preferably one that is at least age 1 and not really a puppy. We are honest that doing the puppy thing again at this time might kill us!

Anyway, we have had some leads on male dogs that have not work out great, but there is one option still a possibility. However, we just learned of another female dog age 3.5 that will need to be rehomed due to family issues. She is from a great breeder and health checks will be done. The cost is also very reasonable.

So I would love to hear the challenges of getting another female as a playmate versus a male. What are we likely dealing with so that I can decide if we need to keep waiting to find a male.

Post Thanks / Like

With this breed you really don't find a problem housing multiple same sex. They usually get along great. In another breed I might try to steer you away from owning same sex dogs or at least having an age difference far enough apart that one won't challenge the other. But cavalier temperament just doesn't have that issue.

My problem would be which girl wears the pink bow and which wears the pink poke-a-dot bow.

Post Thanks / Like

My problem would be which girl wears the pink bow and which wears the pink poke-a-dot bow.
    LOL

There shouldn't be any problems having two females.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Default he he he!!!!

That is just toooooo funny about the bows. My hubby will not let me put any bows on Gracie anyway, but collars and leashes could be trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Deb

As you probably know all my four are girls .The intention was after my ginger cat passed on to get a puppy so we had to decide between a Pug ,Westie or Cavalier so fortunately Dawn pushed us towards the Cavaliers horraaaaaay , after a short search with absolutely no knowledge of health issues Poppy joined us then six months later Daisy then after another six months Rosie and all as puppies .Summer of 2009 I finally persuaded Dawn to allow a fourth, and of course it had to be a B & T to complete the set, and now being fully aware of all their problems and with help and guidance from Margaret C I found a breeder near Glasgow who had a B & T female from two A Grade parents and with all the necessary health papers ,so after upping my price offer a few times Lily came to join us aged 11 months .After the initial cold shoulder from the others she has fitted in perfect as all Cavaliers do and of course each has their own independent character and each of them act and behave as TopGirl, especially our Daisy .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you Brian!

I was hoping you would weigh in! I am contacting the person who has the dog to see she is still available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Look forward to photos soon of whatever you get and I'm sure they will love each other no matter what sex they are.
    Deb

Post Thanks / Like

There is 3 years difference in my girls. I think it took a little longer than some for them to get close. Vivian is definatly the dominant at home, but they are a bonded pair now, sleeping close and grooming each other. No problems here, go for it.
    Suzanne mom to Chelsea(ruby girl), Vivian (tri girl),Kara(rescue kitty), Tyson and Candy(Tonk kittys at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hi Deb

As you probably know all my four are girls .The intention was after my ginger cat passed on to get a puppy so we had to decide between a Pug ,Westie or Cavalier so fortunately Dawn pushed us towards the Cavaliers horraaaaaay , after a short search with absolutely no knowledge of health issues Poppy joined us then six months later Daisy then after another six months Rosie and all as puppies .Summer of 2009 I finally persuaded Dawn to allow a fourth, and of course it had to be a B & T to complete the set, and now being fully aware of all their problems and with help and guidance from Margaret C I found a breeder near Glasgow who had a B & T female from two A Grade parents and with all the necessary health papers ,so after upping my price offer a few times Lily came to join us aged 11 months .After the initial cold shoulder from the others she has fitted in perfect as all Cavaliers do and of course each has their own independent character and each of them act and behave as TopGirl, especially our Daisy .
    Brian,

Daisy always makes me smile. Deb and I were talking about you and your beautiful girls. You take amazing photos or maybe its just who is in the picture I love hearing about them and their personalities.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cavaliers do tend to get along whatever the sex, but having only females does tend to be a risk for them having issues and is increased by each female added in. Part of the issue of same sex dogs is that problems tend to come up when they are around adolescence and then may not resurface til they are a lot older, 7 or 8 for example. With any same sex pair, one is the more dominant but as the dominant one gets older and weaker, fights can start as the second dog starts to challenge. So problems no one is seeing when their dogs are age 2 or 4 may become difficult to manage issues a few years on.

The chances of these issues are hugely minimised by having a pair of opposite sex. As others have said, the breed does have the advantage of getting along well so more often then would happen with many breeds, there are no or few issues. But most of us with two of the same sex WILL deal with some fights and issues around the dogs challenging each other. Trainers will note these confrontations are most typically between some unneutered males, and between females generally, neutered or not. I know people in rescue who will not home a second female dog to a home with a single female, for this reason.

Amongst my five, I've never had any issues with the girls, but the boys, who are close in age, have spats and these have become more frequent with age. That adds a management problem of understanding what sets a pair off -- almost always there is a context. I've no doubt with mine,part of the problem is they are very close in age.

I homed opposite sexes by preference and would tend to split apart same sex pairs and home separately which often helps bring out the personality of one of the same sex pair as often one ends up being quite subdued in same sex pairs.

Overall I wouldn't worry a huge amount if you feel you want this female as risk of serious issues is low, but you do need to be aware that while all dogs are different, there is a good reason that trainers widely advise the second dog be of the opposite sex (and as breeders and trainers say, there's a good reason why 'bitch' has a pejorative meaning).
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com