• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

new addition

mistyhaiz

hi everyone, i'm thinking of buying a new puppy i already have a little boy called oscar who is so well behaved. i'm just wondering if any of you had a new addition and did upset the other dog?. i'm worried if i get another cavalier it might upset my boy and thats the last thing i want to do. he's not scared of other dog well saying that he only likes some of the dogs we meet on our walks. i would be grateful for some advice on this please. many thanks gail x

Hi and welcome. How old is your existing dog? Have you done a nice friendly obedience class with him yet? Is he fully housetrained? The issue is really not so much whether your existing dig will like a companion, as almost all dogs benefit from a companion and while it may take some adjustment time for them to settle in, they almost always end up being close friends.

The concern is more that trainers and responsible breeders recommend waiting til the existing dog at home is at least 12 months old (18-24 months is considered better), and is fully housetrained and has had the benefit of some obedience training with you. Introducing a puppy or second dog earlier can create a backward slide that makes it a lot harder to manage both dogs, and deprives the existing dog of time, focus and guidance he really needs from you before the distraction of another dog is introduced. It is very hard to train two dogs together (for the same reasons plus others, trainers always advise against getting two puppies at the same time).

If or when the time is right for a second dog, be sure to use the links on finding a good, responsible, correctly health-testing breeder noted in the righthand column of the main site page. :D

hi and thank you so much for your advice my dog is 6 months old he is house trained and well trained i trained him myself as soon as i had him he's really well behaved. i'm glad i asked as i can see that it's way to early to bring in a new addition at this time. thats the only thing that worried me of bringing a new puppy home that all the hard work we have done together would disrupt he's behaviour. once again many thanks x

Back