Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: questions for website members

Post Thanks / Like

Default questions for website members

Being a newbie and not knowing everyone's situations or age of your cav's I thought I would ask questions to get to know everyone better. If you don't feel comfortable answering, that's ok.

1. What are the ages of your Cav/ Cav's?
    2. Do you do agility with your Cav/Cav's?
    3. Do you show your Cav/Cav's? If so have they won in show?
    4. Are there any funny or unique things your Cav does that just makes you smile or melt? If there is please share.
    5. When you took in your first Cav did you know about all the health issues they could have?
    6. Did your Cav/Cav's parents get tested for SM/MVD before you brought your pup home?
    7. If your Cav is over the age of 2, do they have SM/MVD? The reason I ask this is because I have been doing a lot of reading on the site and it seems MANY of you are facing this and would like to know how many are not compared to who are.
    8. What are the greatest positives that your Cav/Cav's have brought to your life?

Thank you for taking the time to read and hopefully answer the questions.
    Becky

Post Thanks / Like

I will answer first.
    Since I can only answer a few:
    1. 4 weeks old and not with me yet
    4. so far on our visits he has acted the same as our Peke who passed away. He sleeps on me, plays with DD and cuddles with DH. Its so cute!
    5. for the most part I do know about the health issues
    6. The parents have been tested for everything except SM but I was reassured the lines of my pup have not shown any signs of SM. I know it doesn't mean they don't have it.
    8. So far our pup has helped me get through the passing of our Peke even if its just a little

Quote Originally Posted by gamefanz View Post
    Being a newbie and not knowing everyone's situations or age of your cav's I thought I would ask questions to get to know everyone better. If you don't feel comfortable answering, that's ok.

4. Are there any funny or unique things your Cav does that just makes you smile or melt? If there is please share.
    5. When you took in your first Cav did you know about all the health issues they could have?
    6. Did your Cav/Cav's parents get tested for SM/MVD before you brought your pup home?
    7. If your Cav is over the age of 2, do they have SM/MVD? The reason I ask this is because I have been doing a lot of reading on the site and it seems MANY of you are facing this and would like to know how many are not compared to who are.
    8. What are the greatest positives that your Cav/Cav's have brought to your life?

Thank you for taking the time to read and hopefully answer the questions.
    Becky
    Last edited by gamefanz; 21st May 2011 at 04:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

9 months old

No

No

Pretty much his timing on answering back, or shaking his head when being asked a question. Although to be honest, Benji is usually doing something that is amusing.

I knew alot about their health issues as i did a lot of research into the breed before deciding i wanted a Cav. However, it seems that i'm learning a lot more through this forum.

Yes they did and both were perfectly healthy

N/A

Benji has made me smile during a rough time in my life. Facing constant rejection with jobs and colleges, it was nice to have him around because he loves a good cuddle!
    Proud momma of Benji. Born 15-8-10!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for replying SophieLightyear. I hope my Cav is just as amusing. My DD is currently having the same issues getting a job. She just graduated college and has applied all over even in states near here and so far she only has 1 interview. She has degrees in accounting and business but the accounting firms are not hiring until Nov I hope our Cav can help her get through the rough days that are coming just like yours did for you.

Becky

Post Thanks / Like

Murphy is 5, and we think Misty is 5 or 6

No

No

Oh there are so many thing my pair do that make me smile, especially after a bad day. Sometimes just looking at them is enough to make me get all gushy. Misty gives the best cuddles when I come home, including nibbling and licking my ears. Murphy sighs when he's been told off for being a bad boy, and he always has to get a final bark in after he's been told to stop.

I knew about MVD, but that was it.

I have no idea. Misty was a resuce so no previous history. And we never asked when we bought Murphy, we were totally clueless back then.

Murphy is heart clear, Misty has a regular irregular heartbeat. I haven't had a reason to take them for a MRI scan, as neither shows concerning symptoms.

Their unconditional love. Even Misty, who was so shy when we got her loves her cuddles. Their ability to make me laugh and shake off a bad mood.
    Paula - mum to Murphy(6) & Misty(7), and Jerry our cat.

Post Thanks / Like

Maddie is 6 1/2yrs, Pippin is 4yrs (5 in Auugust)

Yes, both of them. In fact we've just returned from a show. We're still Grade 1, and probably wont get any higher, but we all enjoy the days out so it doesn't matter.

No

There are lots of things, but I think my favourite is when I'm sat on the settee and they get up either side of me and cuddle in, both using my legs as a pillow and looking up at me adoringly. There is nothing quite like the unconditional love from your dogs to cheer you up.

I'll have to say no to this as I had my first one 30 years ago. However, when I returned to the breed when we got Maddie I knew a lot more.

MVD Yes for both sets of parents, SM only the Dams were tested.

Both are heart clear (yipee) and with regard to SM neither are symptomatic so I haven't had them scanned.

This would be just the day to day joy of having them around, taking them for walks and training, having cuddles and unconditional love.

Post Thanks / Like

AGILITY & SHOWING: N/A
    FUNNY/UNIQUE: She grunts a little when she is particularly happy, often when we pick her up after being away from her a bit
    HEALTH: Knew about most of them, but not much about SM/CM. Parents were tested for heart, eyes and knees, but not SM. So far, no symptoms.... keeping fingers crossed.
    POSITIVES: Too many to list, but making me laugh when I am blue and bringing us so many other friends are way up there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GraciesMom View Post
    AGILITY & SHOWING: N/A
    FUNNY/UNIQUE: She grunts a little when she is particularly happy, often when we pick her up after being away from her a bit
    HEALTH: Knew about most of them, but not much about SM/CM. Parents were tested for heart, eyes and knees, but not SM. So far, no symptoms.... keeping fingers crossed.
    POSITIVES: Too many to list, but making me laugh when I am blue and bringing us so many other friends are way up there!
    I would like to add (since I met her) and didn't tell debra then because I was choked up, gracie does the exact same sigh ella did. I think I had to excuse myself because it was one of my favorite things about ella. (I know they are different but still).. I always felt comfort when she did this. Like a big breath and ok. Loved that sigh. I don't think its the grunt you mentioned but its the one where she's comfy. Love and miss that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for replying. I love getting to know people and their pups better.
    Madpip, I will have to look up more on what the grade mean for agility. I don't know much about it but would love to see a competition one day.
    All this talk about sighing makes me hope my cav will do this. On our visits I really didn't hear any of her dogs do this.

Becky

Post Thanks / Like

I have 4 cavies - ages 3 through 10. None do agility and I don't show any of them. I was not aware of the health problems before I got any of them. My 10 year old has had cervical disc decompression surgery, but has no murmur and no SM,my 8.5 year old has severe SM and had decompression surgery 3 years ago and is doing great, my 7.5 year just had a collapsing episode and they are thinking heart (although no murmur) so she's being watched closely now (no SM though), my 3 year old has had EFS (episodic falling syndrome) and has a congenital heart murmur and 2nd degree A-V block which doesn't stop him a bit. He sees the cardiologist once a year and gets the all clear to continue on without medication. He also has the caudal malformation, but no syrinxes yet.

The thing I love about them is that whenever I sit down they all come over to sit with me. I am never alone. My poor husband says he is number 7 in my affection - number 1 & 2 are the kids, then 3 through 6 are the dogs, then him. Sometimes it's true!!!!
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)