• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

questions for website members

gamefanz

Being a newbie and not knowing everyone's situations or age of your cav's I thought I would ask questions to get to know everyone better. If you don't feel comfortable answering, that's ok.

1. What are the ages of your Cav/ Cav's?
2. Do you do agility with your Cav/Cav's?
3. Do you show your Cav/Cav's? If so have they won in show?
4. Are there any funny or unique things your Cav does that just makes you smile or melt? If there is please share.
5. When you took in your first Cav did you know about all the health issues they could have?
6. Did your Cav/Cav's parents get tested for SM/MVD before you brought your pup home?
7. If your Cav is over the age of 2, do they have SM/MVD? The reason I ask this is because I have been doing a lot of reading on the site and it seems MANY of you are facing this and would like to know how many are not compared to who are.
8. What are the greatest positives that your Cav/Cav's have brought to your life?

Thank you for taking the time to read and hopefully answer the questions.
Becky

I will answer first.
Since I can only answer a few:
1. 4 weeks old and not with me yet
4. so far on our visits he has acted the same as our Peke who passed away. He sleeps on me, plays with DD and cuddles with DH. Its so cute!
5. for the most part I do know about the health issues
6. The parents have been tested for everything except SM but I was reassured the lines of my pup have not shown any signs of SM. I know it doesn't mean they don't have it.
8. So far our pup has helped me get through the passing of our Peke even if its just a little

Being a newbie and not knowing everyone's situations or age of your cav's I thought I would ask questions to get to know everyone better. If you don't feel comfortable answering, that's ok.

4. Are there any funny or unique things your Cav does that just makes you smile or melt? If there is please share.
5. When you took in your first Cav did you know about all the health issues they could have?
6. Did your Cav/Cav's parents get tested for SM/MVD before you brought your pup home?
7. If your Cav is over the age of 2, do they have SM/MVD? The reason I ask this is because I have been doing a lot of reading on the site and it seems MANY of you are facing this and would like to know how many are not compared to who are.
8. What are the greatest positives that your Cav/Cav's have brought to your life?

Thank you for taking the time to read and hopefully answer the questions.
Becky

Last edited:
9 months old

No

No

Pretty much his timing on answering back, or shaking his head when being asked a question. Although to be honest, Benji is usually doing something that is amusing.

I knew alot about their health issues as i did a lot of research into the breed before deciding i wanted a Cav. However, it seems that i'm learning a lot more through this forum.

Yes they did and both were perfectly healthy

N/A

Benji has made me smile during a rough time in my life. Facing constant rejection with jobs and colleges, it was nice to have him around because he loves a good cuddle! :)

Thank you for replying SophieLightyear. I hope my Cav is just as amusing. My DD is currently having the same issues getting a job. She just graduated college and has applied all over even in states near here and so far she only has 1 interview. She has degrees in accounting and business but the accounting firms are not hiring until Nov :( I hope our Cav can help her get through the rough days that are coming just like yours did for you.

Becky

Murphy is 5, and we think Misty is 5 or 6

No

No

Oh there are so many thing my pair do that make me smile, especially after a bad day. Sometimes just looking at them is enough to make me get all gushy. Misty gives the best cuddles when I come home, including nibbling and licking my ears. Murphy sighs when he's been told off for being a bad boy, and he always has to get a final bark in after he's been told to stop.

I knew about MVD, but that was it.

I have no idea. Misty was a resuce so no previous history. And we never asked when we bought Murphy, we were totally clueless back then.

Murphy is heart clear, Misty has a regular irregular heartbeat. I haven't had a reason to take them for a MRI scan, as neither shows concerning symptoms.

Their unconditional love. Even Misty, who was so shy when we got her loves her cuddles. Their ability to make me laugh and shake off a bad mood.

Maddie is 6 1/2yrs, Pippin is 4yrs (5 in Auugust)

Yes, both of them. In fact we've just returned from a show. We're still Grade 1, and probably wont get any higher, but we all enjoy the days out so it doesn't matter.

No

There are lots of things, but I think my favourite is when I'm sat on the settee and they get up either side of me and cuddle in, both using my legs as a pillow and looking up at me adoringly. There is nothing quite like the unconditional love from your dogs to cheer you up.

I'll have to say no to this as I had my first one 30 years ago. However, when I returned to the breed when we got Maddie I knew a lot more.

MVD Yes for both sets of parents, SM only the Dams were tested.

Both are heart clear (yipee) and with regard to SM neither are symptomatic so I haven't had them scanned.

This would be just the day to day joy of having them around, taking them for walks and training, having cuddles and unconditional love.

AGILITY & SHOWING: N/A
FUNNY/UNIQUE: She grunts a little when she is particularly happy, often when we pick her up after being away from her a bit
HEALTH: Knew about most of them, but not much about SM/CM. Parents were tested for heart, eyes and knees, but not SM. So far, no symptoms.... keeping fingers crossed.
POSITIVES: Too many to list, but making me laugh when I am blue and bringing us so many other friends are way up there!

AGILITY & SHOWING: N/A
FUNNY/UNIQUE: She grunts a little when she is particularly happy, often when we pick her up after being away from her a bit
HEALTH: Knew about most of them, but not much about SM/CM. Parents were tested for heart, eyes and knees, but not SM. So far, no symptoms.... keeping fingers crossed.
POSITIVES: Too many to list, but making me laugh when I am blue and bringing us so many other friends are way up there!

I would like to add (since I met her) and didn't tell debra then because I was choked up, gracie does the exact same sigh ella did. I think I had to excuse myself because it was one of my favorite things about ella. (I know they are different but still).. I always felt comfort when she did this. Like a big breath and ok. Loved that sigh. I don't think its the grunt you mentioned but its the one where she's comfy. Love and miss that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for replying. I love getting to know people and their pups better.
Madpip, I will have to look up more on what the grade mean for agility. I don't know much about it but would love to see a competition one day.
All this talk about sighing makes me hope my cav will do this. On our visits I really didn't hear any of her dogs do this.

Becky

I have 4 cavies - ages 3 through 10. None do agility and I don't show any of them. I was not aware of the health problems before I got any of them. My 10 year old has had cervical disc decompression surgery, but has no murmur and no SM,my 8.5 year old has severe SM and had decompression surgery 3 years ago and is doing great, my 7.5 year just had a collapsing episode and they are thinking heart (although no murmur) so she's being watched closely now (no SM though), my 3 year old has had EFS (episodic falling syndrome) and has a congenital heart murmur and 2nd degree A-V block which doesn't stop him a bit. He sees the cardiologist once a year and gets the all clear to continue on without medication. He also has the caudal malformation, but no syrinxes yet.

The thing I love about them is that whenever I sit down they all come over to sit with me. I am never alone. My poor husband says he is number 7 in my affection - number 1 & 2 are the kids, then 3 through 6 are the dogs, then him. Sometimes it's true!!!!

4.5 yrs, 19 months, 5 months.
No.
Occasionally shown the middle girl.
Daisy the oldest chats to my husband on walks.She looks back at him and chatters away to him.They have the best conversations at the beach.It sounds like a series of little yaps,howls and wails.
Holly loves being tickled and scratched.if I stop,she reaches out her front paw and directs my hand back to where she wants to be patted.
Ivy flings both paws round my neck and licks my face so much it's practically a facial.Great for unclogging blocked pores!!:p
Yes, but not about the extent of the SM problem.It was pretty much an emerging concern at the time.
First one no!
Second and third one yes.
My oldest cavalier has severe SM,diagnosed at 2.8 years.
She is heart clear at 4.5 yrs
The other two are just babies and the second one has only been opthalmologist eye tested as yet.
They've probably diverted my attention away from my husband.He claims to be very grateful;).Otherwise he may have been divorced or lovingly placed under the patio:wink:.
nah, they entertain,keep us company and fill the house with happiness and hair.
Sins

Kokoda is 12 weeks now. We did have another boy, Anzac, who passed away at the age of seven in January.

We never competed with Anzac but we would just have fun in the abck yard, however i would love to teach Kokoda to do agility and enter a comeptition one day :)

No, i neuter all my pets, so i am unable to show them :)

Anzac ALWAYS had to have the last word, even if he practically whispered it he would be happy because he 'said' tha last thing.
Kokoda loves to pull the hairties out of your hair while you are watching tv, it can be a little bit annoying but it is quite funny. He also makes sounds like a chipmunk when he is happy :)

Anzac's parents were and were clear, however he died froma suspected heart attack or stroke. So things can pop up out of no where sometimes.
Kokoda's parents were MVD tested, however they had to concerning symptoms for an MRI.

N/A

I just love their love. Their love of life, their lovce of people, their love of other dogs. They are just one of the friendliest, cuddliest breed of dog :)

Last edited:
The present five are: 8 1/2, 5, 4, 3 and 2 years old.

No

Yes, all have been show dogs at one level or another. Rebel had 13 Best of Breeds and 5 Best Puppy in Breed, plus 2 reserves at Champ. shows. At his last show, a huge Companion show, he went Best in Show. I have a house full of red rosettes.

I don't know where to start on this one. They all make me smile. Winston's cuddles are to die for and Little Joe can snog for England.

Not really, I got my first Cavalier in 1983.

All of mine had mvd clear parents. None were MRI scanned.

Rebel has late onset MVD symptoms now. I had him scanned 2 years ago and had quite a shock to find out he had SM. The vet found a low grade mvd a few months ago. He has no symptoms.
Bubbles, Winston Alexander and Little Joe are SM and MVD clear.
Holly Poppet was diagnosed with Curly Coat/Dry Eye Syndrome when she was 3 months old. She also has an extra paw attached to one leg, with fused toes.

Watching Holly Poppet cope with her disease and the constant treatment, with an vigorously wagging tail and mischief in her eyes.:D

You didn't ask about eye checks. I am glad to say four of mine are clear. There is little point in checking Holly P's eyes.

Last edited:
It is nice to see that those that do have serious conditions are able to live great lives and fairly long especially for SM. Its nice to know that its not an instant death sentence, truth be told I've really been frightened about SM. Knowing that so many of you have dogs that have it and are living fairly normal lives is uplifting. I wonder how long a Cav can live with SM with the right meds.
Love my Cavaliers, I got a chuckle about your husband:lol: I think my husband would feel the same way. He is lucky we only have 1 child and had and will have 1 dog. He insisted on both dogs that they are male so he is not the only male in the house LOL
sins, I'd love to see a video of your Cavs chatter :)
denali, one of the things that I like about the breed is being able to do agility. Although I may not do the competitions I'd love to do it with Toby in our backyard. DH says he can build or get some of the agility stuff and we can do it for fun in our backyard. I might take him up on that.
ByFloSin, you definitely have your hands full! Congrats to you and your dogs for the show wins(y) Yep I guess I forgot the eye checks. UGH! I wrote it early this morning. Glad your 4 are clear!

I want to say to everyone who has dealt with a death of their dog/dogs that I am very sorry for your loss.:hug: My heart goes out to all of you.

Becky

1. What are the ages of your Cav/ Cav's? Max will be three in September and Rylie is just turning two.

2. Do you do agility with your Cav/Cav's? Yes with both. Max competes at the advanced/masters level and Rylie is just starting out.

3. Do you show your Cav/Cav's? If so have they won in show? Max (ruby) is too tall and both have white markings so wouldn't be considered show quality.

4. Are there any funny or unique things your Cav does that just makes you smile or melt? If there is please share. They both make me laugh on a daily basis with their various antics.

When I got my first Cavalier Mindy in 1998 the only recognized health problem was MVD. Her breeder made sure I was aware. She died of cancer at just over 12 years old without a diagnosed heart murmur (she had never seen a cardiologist - only regular vets).

Mindy's parents were both heart clear, apparently Max's were too although I don't have the documentation to back that up. I have documentation on both Rylie's sire and dam and both have had A graded MRI's, heart clear, hips and eyes good. I learn more as I go along.

Mindy never had any SM symptoms. Neither of my current dogs do either to this point. None have been MRI'd.

Unconditional love and their joy for every new experience.

1. What are the ages of your Cav/ Cav's? Jasper is 20 months and Holly is 19 months old

2. Do you do agility with your Cav/Cav's? No but would like to soon.

3. Do you show your Cav/Cav's? If so have they won in show? No

4. Are there any funny or unique things your Cav does that just makes you smile or melt? If there is please share. Jasper makes me laugh when he barks for his dinner or for Holly to play with him. Holly makes me laugh the way she twirls round all the time before she gets her dinner.

When I got my first Cavalier Sam I knew nothing about the breed and got him from a pet shop. We had him for 12 years and lost him to MVD

6. Did your Cav/Cav's parents get tested for SM/MVD before you brought your pup home? No

N/A

8. What are the greatest positives that your Cav/Cav's have brought

I love everything about them and especially love having two they are so much fun

I love getting to know the cavs even better !! Such a fun thread.

1. What is the age of your Cav? 4years and 2 months

2. Do you do agility with your Cav/Cav's? no

3. Do you show your Cav/Cav's? If so have they won in show? no

She sneezes when she gets mad!! She barks at airplanes, it's so ridicilous. They then ofcourse fly away and she looks at me all proud like "Mommy, I chased it for you!! " I love it when she wants up on my lap and sighs and grunts when i pick her up just like Gracie and Ella. I pretty much love everything she does. She cannot ever do something really wrong. (though this morning she stole something from the garbage and was hiding under the bed with it. Very naughty :) Another thing she loves in going for car rides. It melts my heart to see how much she enjoys herself in the car.

5. When you took in your first Cav did you know about all the health issues they could have? only the MVD. Had to find out about SM the hard way.

6. Did your Cav/Cav's parents get tested for SM/MVD before you brought your pup home? No

7. If your Cav is over the age of 2, do they have SM/MVD? The reason I ask this is because I have been doing a lot of reading on the site and it seems MANY of you are facing this and would like to know how many are not compared to who are. Yes. Mine has.
Oh boy. She is so unique. The ultimate companion for me and my best friend. As a musician she has gone on tour with me. She's been in two music video's, come to radio and has even been in talkshows with me! I love sleeping with her in my bed, I am never lonely. I love her and will love her forever and tell her everyday how greatful I am for her gentle soul. She has also tought me to become a more responsible and better person. Especially with the SM too.
She was diagnosed a year ago with severe SM but is now managing on meds. Surgery is something we are considering for the future, but neither me or my boyfriend (we live together) are ready for that yet.

Last edited:
1. What are the ages of your Cav/ Cav's? Brooklyn is 7 months

2. Do you do agility with your Cav/Cav's? No

3. Do you show your Cav/Cav's? If so have they won in show? No

4. Are there any funny or unique things your Cav does that just makes you smile or melt? If there is please share. She grunts when you pick her up and she is tired...it crack us up so hard. Like her life is so tough! ;)

5. When you took in your first Cav did you know about all the health issues they could have? Yes, I did a lot of research, but I still feel like I didn't do enough and on this board I know more than ever.

6. Did your Cav/Cav's parents get tested for SM/MVD before you brought your pup home? Yes

7. If your Cav is over the age of 2, do they have SM/MVD? n/a

8. What are the greatest positives that your Cav/Cav's have brought to your life? My cavs shows me that everything thing will be alright. That when life seems too hard sometimes, she keep me going and loves me despite all my faults. I was diagnosed with a pretty serious disease about 8 months before we got Brooklyn, and she has been a source of unbelievable light and compassion. She keeps me up, going, laughing and smiling. She licks my tears and barks back at my giggles. I love her so much, god could not have given me a better medicine and I am so blessed for her.

Great thread!

*Just a little back story... I originally purchased a puppy...turned out he was from puppy mills... ended up diagnosed with sever CM at 6 months old (showed symptoms almost right away). 5 Months later I was able to rescue his parents out of the mill.*

Pup is 1 year & the parents are almost 5

I tried but all are too severely affected to handled too much excitement. I have found taking them on outings away from the house tend to amplify the CM/SM symptoms later on.

I tried to show my pup in a few shows but he was unable to stand the lead on his neck. This was before his CM diagnosis.

Flash (the pup) ~ He "sings" whenever he gets excited!

Holly (mom) ~ Dances and kicks her back feet when excited! She can stand up and walk on 2 feet when she is waiting for dinner!

Blitz (dad)~ He can make the cutest and charming "Cavalier" face whenever he looks at you.

No... I had only heard of MVD and knee problems. I did not learn about SM until I was frustrated with my vet inability to solve the "mystery" issues.... I googled "Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Neck Scratching".... thankfully that lead me to all the right information

No :( my pups parents had never been tested. Neither were there parents. There parents were imports and I was unable to find out if ANY dogs in his pedigree were ever tested for ANYTHING!

My 1 year old has CM with very sever symptoms. Both adults are also suffering very sever CM/SM. The father (Blitz) is also in the early stages of MVD.

They make me smile every day! From there silly qualities to there endless amounts of love. No matter what they are always happy! They miss me if I'm gone for even a moment! They want to be with me WHERE EVER I go! :l*v: I love walking through the house doing daily chores and hearing the pitter patter of cavalier feet following me from room to room.

Questions for website members

Kokoda is 12 weeks now. We did have another boy, Anzac, who passed away at the age of seven in January.

We never competed with Anzac but we would just have fun in the abck yard, however i would love to teach Kokoda to do agility and enter a comeptition one day :)

No, i neuter all my pets, so i am unable to show them :)

Anzac ALWAYS had to have the last word, even if he practically whispered it he would be happy because he 'said' tha last thing.
Kokoda loves to pull the hairties out of your hair while you are watching tv, it can be a little bit annoying but it is quite funny. He also makes sounds like a chipmunk when he is happy :)

Anzac's parents were and were clear, however he died froma suspected heart attack or stroke. So things can pop up out of no where sometimes.
Kokoda's parents were MVD tested, however they had to concerning symptoms for an MRI.

N/A

I just love their love. Their love of life, their lovce of people, their love of other dogs. They are just one of the friendliest, cuddliest breed of dog :)

QUESTIONS FOR WEBSITE MEMBERS

COULD I JOIN IN THIS REQUEST?

We did have Cavaliers from 1973, Sweep our First Cavalier died from Heart Trouble 4 years later at just over 4 years of age .

Ailsa died at 7 MVD ,Cindy Lou 8 ,MVD ,Shari 8, MVD,we had others who lived from 10 to Mags who lived to 15 .

Never did Agility.

Becky made Crufts, but developed Epilepsy shortly afterwards .She also Loved Danish Blue Cheese. Cherry Pie , and Iv'e a Photo to Prove it, climbed a Tree!!!!.

Always made me smile when they looked at me and their Tail would start Wagging

None of our Cavaliers were MRI SCANNED, but I did help with the early Research into the SM Pedigrees of SM Cavaliers. Why none of ours were MRI Scanned was because I did not think it was a Serious Problem in our Beloved Cavalier Breed ,saw the PDE TV PROGRAM, that sure opened my Eyes to this Horrible Disease.

What I would like to find out from the List Members here is, how MANY of their Cavaliers with SM were bought from CKCS CLUB BREEDERS or from Puppy Farms and BYB's.

The Cavaliers' SM and MVD Problem is always blamed on those Cavaliers that have come from Puppy Farms and BYB'S but have as many come from CKCS CLUB BREEDERS.

This is just a Thought, I hate those Places ,have fought against them for over 20 years , but.....are as many Cavaliers suffering from SM and MVD coming from them as CKCS BREEDERS.

Have you Folks on the List any Views about this,I do know that Our 4 Cavaliers who died from MVD all were Bought from CKCS CLUB MEMBER BREEDERS.

Bet

Back