• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice please?

Blueroses

Being very new here I hope I have put this in the correct section :eek:

I am bringing home my first puppy in 3 weeks time :luv:
Has anyone any tips on introducing my 10 year old cat to the newcomer. The puppy has been used to a cat at his breeders home but my cat has never known a dog in his.
I dont want the cat to pack his bags and leave :c*t::d*g:

There's a whole thread full of links on making introductions between cats and dogs in the Library section --

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?8862-Cats-and-cavaliers

In general all introductions for initial weeks need to be carefully controlled with the pup restrained on a lead and the cat needs to have easy escape places. Many cats will appreciate a high cat tree where they can escape from a dog and the height helps calm them as they feel very secure. Puppies are inclined to chase and want to play and a cat can easily take a dog's eye out, especially this breed with its large eyes -- so on both sides, it is important that people manage all interactions until with luck, all settle in happily.

Many of us own cats and cavaliers -- including me -- one of the reasons I chose the cavalier breed is its friendliness towards other animals like cats. So generally all works out. :)

There's a whole thread full of links on making introductions between cats and dogs in the Library section --

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?8862-Cats-and-cavaliers

In general all introductions for initial weeks need to be carefully controlled with the pup restrained on a lead and the cat needs to have easy escape places. Many cats will appreciate a high cat tree where they can escape from a dog and the height helps calm them as they feel very secure. Puppies are inclined to chase and want to play and a cat can easily take a dog's eye out, especially this breed with its large eyes -- so on both sides, it is important that people manage all interactions until with luck, all settle in happily.

Many of us own cats and cavaliers -- including me -- one of the reasons I chose the cavalier breed is its friendliness towards other animals like cats. So generally all works out. :)

Thank you, I will go and look now

I had an 8 year old tri legged sassy cat (Muncie) when I brought home my puppy (Nalu). I have the luxury of being able to provide a space in a separate room for the cat with food dishes that only the cat can get to. I introduced them very slowly, and it took time for Muncie to realize the dog wouldn't hurt her or threaten her relationship with us. We spent more time with her to compensate.

I trained the puppy early on to be careful with the cat and she really seemed to understand my tone of voice and the cat's hisses/growls. And I tried to stress "careful!" with the cat so she would hiss/growl but not scratch the puppy.

They now sleep next to one another and the dog chases/tackles and "kisses" the cat. Good luck!

I had an 8 year old tri legged sassy cat (Muncie) when I brought home my puppy (Nalu). I have the luxury of being able to provide a space in a separate room for the cat with food dishes that only the cat can get to. I introduced them very slowly, and it took time for Muncie to realize the dog wouldn't hurt her or threaten her relationship with us. We spent more time with her to compensate.

I trained the puppy early on to be careful with the cat and she really seemed to understand my tone of voice and the cat's hisses/growls. And I tried to stress "careful!" with the cat so she would hiss/growl but not scratch the puppy.

They now sleep next to one another and the dog chases/tackles and "kisses" the cat. Good luck!

Aww that is a nice story, thank you for that. I hope my introduction goes as well

Back