Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show ring newbie vent

Post Thanks / Like

Default Show ring newbie vent

So yesterday was my first real experience with the conformation ring with my very own dog. I did hire a handler and I am so glad because yesterday I was so nervous I thought I might throw-up. Anyway, my little boy is a black and tan which is a bit tough to show in sea of blenheim colour. But yesterday something floored me, my dog was asked to go up and back and the judge turned around and started talking to the stewart!! :mmph:
    My handler was very cool about it and just waited for the judge to finish. But really?! This totally irked me. I paid good money to have this judge look my dog over and give an honest opinion.
    I notice he did this on another black and tan later on in the judging. I didn't find this very professional. Is this what I can expect for a black and tan? GRRR...my boy is very nice and deserves at least a good look over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bad judging.

Everyone has paid the same money and deserve that their dog has a fair and thorough assessment.

Black and Tans are beautiful but sometimes they do not seem to catch the Judge's eye in the way that a blenheim will.
    It is something that you will have to come to terms with if you show wholecolours.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I might update this thread since it has been viewed a few times. My boy won his class today, just so those of you that are hesitant about showing a black and tan, they do win sometimes too. And I was so elated today my smile hasn't left my face yet!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Seriously

No offense but I think it's time for you to have a little persepctive.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not necessarily about winning,but having paid your entry fee,spent the time preparing your dog and travelling to obtain a judges opinion,not to even get that is annoying.
    It's as Margaret says, Bad Judging.(and bad manners).
    Even if your dog has faults or isn't what the judge likes on the day,an exhibitor should at least expect the judge to be interested.
    Well done on your first win. Hope this will have settled your nerves and you and your boy will enjoy things a lot more.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All dogs have faults Sins - the perfect dog has never been born yet and probably never will.

Even after 25 years of showing I am still elated if I win or am placed with one of my dogs in a strong class, but I have learnt to be a good looser too. It's all about that dog, that judge, that day, but so far as turning to speak to a steward while sending a dog up and down is totally unacceptable.

I am so glad to see a wholecolour winning classes. I always wanted to have one but ended up with partis.
    Last edited by ByFloSin; 22nd May 2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: should have said that dog, that judge that day
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goda View Post
    No offense but I think it's time for you to have a little persepctive.
    nice....why the sourpuss reply? and as I explained I am new at this.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulation on your first win. Itís always a great feeling.
    But thatís why I like competing in Dog Sports you get judgedon your performance. Donít get me wrong you also get bias judges there.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congrats; that's wonderful! You must be so pleased.

I have heard the issues Margaret mentions quite a few times from those who show, so you definitely have a legitimate gripe. It is very unprofessional for a judge to so blatantly show disinterest in a dog they are supposed to be judging -- they have plenty of time to chat out of the ring and they are supposed to be on the job and attentive to all entries, as well as courteous!

I know it is considered much harder to show and win with whole colours -- I have seen it said many times by those who do breed and show them, that judges just seem to view parti-colours as more 'flashy' and also it is I suppose what many judges are more familiar with as there are so few wholecolours shown by comparison. A bit of a vicious circle. Glad you were able to find a more appreciative judge who considered the whole group.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well done to you and your black and tan. That is just disgusting how rude to do that. I am afraid I would have gone up to him and told him so to. I hope you complain because that is just not right. So glad you won anyway.
    Deb