• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Talking to new vet about boosters

Interesting discussion; thanks to all contributors! :)

Pat I think I will reconsider every three years for mine and maybe titre every three years instead. I agree about boarding facilities -- use one that doesn't require annual vaccines. many will discuss this with the person or accept every three years. The vast majority though want every year -- which can make it hard for dog and cat owners who may notlive in an area with lots of choice for boarding.

On lepto: drinking from puddles is not the only way animals get this -- swimming, walking along a creek or lake or pond, walking through damp grass or plant borders or fields, sniffing, licking paws that might have come in contact... all of these are ways it can be transmitted. All you need is for a rat to have urinated somewhere a dog comes in contact with and then ingests -- easy to happen even if a dog is merely sniffing along a grass verge. Many dogs if you watch carefully, also actually lick other dogs' pee off walls or ground when sniffing -- another possible route of transmission for city/town dogs.

While as Dr Dodds says, there may have been only 12 cases in Calif of lepto you'd have to assume in (great?) part that is because most vets vaccinate for lepto. I have heard of more cases in Ireland annually where there are far fewer people and dogs. It is this kind of pro/con that makes it hard to know what to do. I do not accept that everything Dr Dodds says is correct (as I know researchers who would dispute some conclusions, but that is normal and correct for there to be scientific debate). It does worry me a bit that one can see from reading boards and email lists and websites, that many take Dr Dodds as the only authority, and more so that they only read the main protocol and not all her careful notes that state the protocol does not necessarily suit all dogs, all geographic regions, and so on -- she is a lot more nuanced than the message most pass along about her recommendations.

Hmm I missed that she had a new protocol out --

http://www.weim.net/emberweims/Vaccine.html

So people could titer annually as an alternative.

I think vaccination is an area for any pet owner to read very carefully about before making decisions. I try to find a balance -- I weigh Dr Dodds' views against other recommendations. I would *never* vaccinate more frequently than every three years, though, and never again after a booster at age 7.

Part of the big issue for any dog or cat owner is that most kennels/daycare/boarding facilities will not take animals not vaccinated annually so this makes taking any other route more difficult.

Thank you so much for this very helpful link and all the great discussion on this topic!!! Gracie is coming up for several shots this summer and lots to think about.

That's not accurate - many US vets and all of the major US vet teaching schools recommend core vaccines (parvo, distemper and rabies) to be given every three years, not "just" rabies. And that three year option is really just a compromise as many vets believe the duration of immunity if far longer than three years. (google research by Ron Schultz.)

My vet group (Auburn grads) always scheduled annual vaccinations with our last dog. Sophie had 1-yr boosters last summer, so I don't know if they've changed their protocol here.

And I DIDN'T say what you quoted above - where did you read that?
My mistake and I apologize. I misinterpreted your post. My sincerest apologies.

Erin, thanks for clearing that up. I am having computer issues, and haven't been able to print off my coverage. They are sending me a hard copy. I suppose I could have gone and looked :), but I was being lazy (bad). Well, not lazy, I'm having shoulder arm issues, and sitting in my computer chair for long periods is causing me major issues.

So, Claire's annual she just had, will be the last of her shots she'll be having for quite a while. I know it won't make the Vet happy, but......oh well. I do think I'll stick with the lepto though. We only have 6 months of good weather so, I'm probably safe from November through April.

I will go to the next annual loaded with print off's of all the studies done on this subject.

Vaccine Information- Giving to New Vet

Hmm I missed that she had a new protocol out --

http://www.weim.net/emberweims/Vaccine.html

So people could titer annually as an alternative.

I think vaccination is an area for any pet owner to read very carefully about before making decisions. I try to find a balance -- I weigh Dr Dodds' views against other recommendations. I would *never* vaccinate more frequently than every three years, though, and never again after a booster at age 7.

Part of the big issue for any dog or cat owner is that most kennels/daycare/boarding facilities will not take animals not vaccinated annually so this makes taking any other route more difficult.

You know some have different views on vaccines but would this link be most up to date to give to a new vet to see their views? Elton just got all of them but I want a vet that is not as close minded as the one before so I want to see what he says.

Thanks

Well I don't think there's necessarily a 'best' -- and the link above is recommendations for California, by one breeder, so is likely not to be the same for other territories. And as Dr Dodds clearly states these are a matter of her own opinion and vets may have solid professional reasons to do otherwise, plus all regions are different and individual dogs are different. Not all people agree, in part or in full, with Dr Dodds either. Dr Dodds says:

Note: The following vaccine protocol is offered for those dogs where minimal vaccinations are advisable or desirable. The schedule is one I recommend and should not interpreted to mean that other protocols recommended by a veterinarian would be less satisfactory. It's a matter of professional judgment and choice.

That is why the owner needs to read what is available and talk to their vet and come to their own decision -- there is no such thing as a definite guideline or a single approach.

The best link is this for Jean Dodds rather than the one above which is only specific to a single breeder and one locality.

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM

Well I don't think there's necessarily a 'best' -- and the link above is recommendations for California, by one breeder, so is likely not to be the same for other territories. And as Dr Dodds clearly states these are a matter of her own opinion and vets may have solid professional reasons to do otherwise, plus all regions are different and individual dogs are different. Not all people agree, in part or in full, with Dr Dodds either. Dr Dodds says:

That is why the owner needs to read what is available and talk to their vet and come to their own decision -- there is no such thing as a definite guideline or a single approach.

The best link is this for Jean Dodds rather than the one above which is only specific to a single breeder and one locality.

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM

Thanks Karlin,

I just want to be able to discuss it with a new vet. My old one said it was a bunch of nonsense and compared over vaccinations to fillings poisoning you. Hence why I am changing. I know some will have different views but I would want to have a vet that would be willing to discuss things with me. I just wanted to take something to show him to see what his views were (no wrong or right) but just so I can get a feel of how he is. Since Elton doesn't need anything now, it will be more of learning how he is when dealing with questions.

Does that make sense? I don't like ones that don't talk or act like they know more than anyone else.

Vaccines is not why I changed vets, but because of his attitude as knowing everything but not really. SM is location related by the way :rolleyes:. Maybe he is the same vet that told the breeder about being quarantined in recent thread. J/K

Just to muddy the waters, we had a discussion on another (obedience) forum about titre testing - with several scientific studies quoted with evidence that it is often not very accurate and therefore of limited value. Can't win, can you?!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi all! I just switched to a holistic vet and I love her! I haven't seen the gentleman vet yet, but will eventually. They have come highly recommended. They are not that close to home though, but it's fine. There is an emergency clinic close if needed. Anyway, my old vet was very pro vaccines...no questions asked. Very traditional vet, actually. Things have been fine, but in the back of my mind I knew I wanted a more holistic vet. Friends of mine have been using the new one for awhile. They actually recommend raw and carry the Nature's Variety products (which I'm feeding atm) and Steve's Real Food in their clinic. They do titers!! Yay! In fact, Hazel with her grade 1-2 heart murmur just got titered for parvo and distemper. Hazel is 4 years old. Her titer came back that she is immune. My other vet would've just vaccinated away. I do think Hazel will have to have her rabies, though, as it's a law in this state that every 3 years is rabies shot time. Like I said, I am loving this new vet for my gang. So far, they've seen Lucy and Hazel. They also saw Desi (he passed away recently, though, 5/31/03 - 8/16/11 RIP my angel). They will see Princess, my cat, this month and Stella next month.

Yes titres are an issue as far as accuracy goes. My understanding is that they are most likely to show there's no protection when there is, rather than the other way around, which I suppose is better.

I think some holistic vets lead people to believe titres are more reliable than they are however -- or perhaps don't fully explain their limitations. The whole area is confusing to say the least.

Back