• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

House move

whittakeramy

I am a little worried, i may be moving in a few weeks and im not sure how mimi will take it, i am going to take her to the new place a few times before then to get used to it (there is another dog there to get used to too). Im just not sure how she will cope, I dont really want her to be in trouble for not being able to hold herself for the toilet while im not there as there isnt a fenced in garden. She will have her walks in the morning and evening and then also be let out when the other half comes back from work. I have just never been in this situation before, how would you suggest working her up to the move??

Thanks in advance.

Hi Whittaker....

Ive not long moved house with my Tri boy Star...he moved from being outside a lot with other very big dogs to inside in a small apartment with me. Coped very well. Admittedly I'm with him most of the time. Can you set up a secure little run if you want Mimi to have outside access..eg could a run attached to a garage or something? If Mimi is old enough she should be able to hold her bladder for quite a few hours. I think shell adapt well to the move. Leave her some toys ..eg a treat filled Kong or something. be confident and relaxed yourself and she will be too. let us know how she goes..

I am a little worried, i may be moving in a few weeks and im not sure how mimi will take it, i am going to take her to the new place a few times before then to get used to it (there is another dog there to get used to too). Im just not sure how she will cope, I dont really want her to be in trouble for not being able to hold herself for the toilet while im not there as there isnt a fenced in garden. She will have her walks in the morning and evening and then also be let out when the other half comes back from work. I have just never been in this situation before, how would you suggest working her up to the move??

Thanks in advance.

If you could, temporarily get someone to walk her while you are out. I think she will do fine, Luka has moved 3 times and done very well.

I think its better to not have so much pressure, if she has an accident it'll be OK (it took me a long time to think like this by the way)

Cavaliers are very adaptable dogs, I'd say she'll do alright! It's a good idea you're taking her there to familiarize her before the move. Although I would be concerned about not having a secure garden, is there a way to get gates or a fence for it in the future?

The advice about getting a walker is a good one, get someone you know and trust to pop in in the middle of the day to get her out for even 20 minutes for a quick stroll.

Good Luck!

I will be home in the day quite often as i dont work until the evening but right now she has the back door open during the day and she can come and go as she pleases as the garden is secure but the new place is a first floor appartment so i would have to let her out with her extendable lead onto the little green outside. As the other dog (Daisy) is a little older she may teach her a thing or too about not making a mess but she hasnt met her yet so monday will be the first time. I just hope they get on. I think the only problem will be that the other dog is very playful and heavier so im a little bothered that Mimi might get squished by accident or Daisy may be a little rough with her not realising she is still a puppy.

Back