• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dry flakey skin.

GoodDoggie

Anyone got any advice to get rid of dandruff,ive noticed lately while brushing that she has alot of white flakes all over her coat.Ive noticed it before but lately its alot worse .Ive just read a thread on rabbit mites but I dont think it could be that.Shes virtually stoped scarthing since her ear infection has gone.She gets brushed reguallary every couple days,get fish oil in her food every evening.She gets a bath once a month so it couldnt be overbathing.I mentioned it to the vet last time I was up but she didnt seem to overly concend about it.I suspected it was because she doesnt drink alot of water.Really she only drinks an hour or two after her meals(dry food)vet said she really doesnt need alot of water and thats fine :huh:
how much water should a Cav drink a day?

any boady got any ideas what might be up.

Anyone got any advice to get rid of dandruff,ive noticed lately while brushing that she has alot of white flakes all over her coat.Ive noticed it before but lately its alot worse .Ive just read a thread on rabbit mites but I dont think it could be that.Shes virtually stoped scarthing since her ear infection has gone.She gets brushed reguallary every couple days,get fish oil in her food every evening.She gets a bath once a month so it couldnt be overbathing.I mentioned it to the vet last time I was up but she didnt seem to overly concend about it.I suspected it was because she doesnt drink alot of water.Really she only drinks an hour or two after her meals(dry food)vet said she really doesnt need alot of water and thats fine :huh:
how much water should a Cav drink a day?

any boady got any ideas what might be up.

Have you tried adding Omega 3 fats to her food, even eggs can help? My cavaliers get bathed every couple of weeks and after wards we use oatmeal conditioner, they have never had skin issues.

Thanks Holly,I doubht its mites shes gets her spot on treatment every month,doesnt seem to be in any discomfort or scratching alot.

You have said you are already giving her fish oil, which would be one of the things I'd suggest. Some dogs just have dry skin and if it is only a few flakes, I wouldn't really worry. Some people wash their dog a lot and this can contribute to dry skin, however, as can using human shampoos, which are the wrong pH. If she isn't scratching at it, then it probably doesn't bother her. Two of my dogs have dry skin that produces some small flakes, but it has never bothered them.

Diet can sometimes make a difference though, too. If you are feeding supermarket foods, which are generally of pretty mediocre quality and have a lot of additives, I would try something of a higher standard such as James Wellbeloved, which I like because it is a fairly simple food, does not have the things that can cause some allergic reactions, and doesn't have a lot of fussy, trendy additives that simply add to the cost. Most good pet shops will carry it. There are quite a few other good foods available as well (but none will be carried in supermarkets!).

Your right karlin,I supose if shes not in any discomfort by it thiers no need to worry.She is fed JWB,I gave her a good wash the other day with a good quality shampoo seemed to do the trick,before she was getting washed in a fairly cheapish shampoo.

Back