• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

AHT genetic test for Episodic falling/Dry eyeCurly Coat.

sins

I decided have Holly tested for EF/DECC as some of her relatives were being tested by breeder.
The AHT have offered an excellent service with a very quick reporting of results.
It was so simple to order the test online,receive the swabs,take the samples and return them in the post for testing...no vet needed to do anything.
Sins

Best of luck on results! It's great to know this is an easy and efficient service too as that will help encourage responsible breeders to take advantage of this wonderful 'two for one' genetic test.

I decided have Holly tested for EF/DECC as some of her relatives were being tested by breeder.
The AHT have offered an excellent service with a very quick reporting of results.
It was so simple to order the test online,receive the swabs,take the samples and return them in the post for testing...no vet needed to do anything.
Sins

As I'm sure most people know (rueful smile), my Holly has Curly Coat/Dry Eye Syndrome, as does one of her litter sisters. I don't need or wish to go into detail, but this is an absolutely horrible and often life threatening disease which poossibly this test will help to eliminate. This is why I am so glad that you are having the tests done and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing it. I am sure many will be relieved to know it is simple, quick to do and efficiently processed by the AHT.

Please can I urge everyone to test their dogs too, even if you have no intention to breed from them, the information can be so useful to pass on to their breeder, so that they can exclude any dogs or bitches who may be carriers from their breeding programmes.

Sins, am I right in thinking that the cost is just below £40?

Hi Flo,
The cost was £48 for the two tests.
Your little Holly was very influential in the decision to get the test done.Even though it's a rare condition,the cost in terms of care and emotional stress is very high indeed.
It's a good opportunity for breeders to prevent conditions like EF and DECC from taking hold in the population.
I think Flo as long as two carriers are not mated,then an offspring would not be affected,but you would have to test the offspring again to check for carrier status before allowing it to enter a future breeding programme?
I can't see it routinely being used by breeders,but more of a "spot check" on a few strategically selected dogs in a kennel.
Obviously where a carrier is known within a line,it's prudent to do a check on offspring sired by him and maybe those with close relatives.
Apologies,I should have said that Holly is clear of both conditions as are her former kennelmates tested so far,(the results came back for me yesterday).
The way they phrase it is as follows:

The result for your DNA test is:

This dog is CLEAR of curly coat dry eye
syndrome.

CLEAR: these dogs have two normal copies of DNA. Clear dogs will not
be affected by Dry Eye Curly Coat Syndrome as a result of the associated
mutation identified.

Sins

Hi Flo

Even if you don't suspect any problems and as its a simple test is worth having it done just to benefit all our Cavaliers.

We have just sent off the mouth swabs to AHT, so keeping our fingers crossed.

The test can be done by the breeder, but my daughter & I decided to get the vet to do it so that there was an independent check on her microchip identification.

As has been said, even if Faith is a carrier she can still be mated. We would need to check the dog was had a clear result & be aware that her carrier status could be inherited by her offspring.

The UK researchers who identified the single mutant gene causing EFS and the single mutant gene causing curly coat finally have published their report on their research.

The EFS gene is BCAN, which is the same gene found by another group of researchers (UK & USA) and reported by them back in July. See http://cavalierhealth.org/episodic_falling.htm#UK_researchers_identify_mutated for summaries and links to their report on the EFS gene.

The curly coat gene is FAM83H. See http://cavalierhealth.org/curly_coat.htm#UK_researchers_identify_mutated_gene for summaries and links to their report on the curly coat gene.

I just got a new puppy and am worried he may have curly coat syndrome. I see it is possible to test for this syndrome through AHT. I am not familiar with this organization or how to get in touch with them. Can anyone provide contact information.

I may be overly concerned, but the little blenheim boy i just got has a a wild coat.....much more fur than I would expect, stands on end in opposite directions. (also very light in color, though I don't believe is in indicator of curly coat.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry you are worried -- others will likely reply that are more familiar with actual signs, but the best thing is to have your vet contact the AHT in the UK. They can then order the kit, do the test and return it. It can be ordered from them from anywhere in the world. The AHT is the Animal Health Trust in the UK.

The link is here: http://www.ahtdnatesting.co.uk/

Rod has info on the condition here: http://cavalierhealth.org/curly_coat.htm

Back