• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Names - What Made You Pick That Name

Brian M

Hi

With my four it was .

1 ) Poppy our Tri - Our first Cavalier and we thought a nice name
2 ) Daisy our Blenheim- When Dawn used to walk Luke to school she passed a little old lady who had a tiny Cavalier that used to sit by the gate as the kids passed and enjoy lots of strokes and fuss ,that was Daisy and we liked the name.
3 ) Rosie our Ruby - Dawn's choice as she was a little Ruby so we picked Rosie.
4 ) Lily our B & T - My choice to continue the flower theme also fancied Bluebell but Dawn said no .

So we have The FlowerCavs Popp, Daisy ,Rosie and Lily .:)

When we collected Dougall, I sat in the back of the car with him. Graham asked me, what are we going to call him. I said "Brian". There was silence :p He clearly didn't think Brian was suitable name. He then asked "why Brian" I said "I liked Brian from the Magic Roundabout" We have always agreed not to argue in front of the Dogs, so I let Graham suffer in silence for a while. Eventually I put him out of his misery and said "Dougall" after the silly dog on the Magic Roundabout. This was my way of getting him to agree to Dougall without hesitation :p

I always thought Molly is a very sweet name which of course suits her down to the ground.

No offence BrianM :jump:

I only have one little Cav right now...hope that will change down the track though....however when I showed the pic you see in my avatar to my five year old grand daughter..trying to decide on a name... she said 'Star!....cause he twinkles like a little star..and so he did. His registered name is Canvalier Diva"s Star..

I have three flowergirls,
Daisy, so named by my son after Jessica Simpson's dog in "newlyweds".
Holly was named by a UK customs officer in Holyhead port who was taking a peek into the crates in the car when we brought her over from the UK.She asked the puppy's name and we said we couldn't come up with one..so she suggested Holly as it was December and we were in Holyhead:p:p:p.Seemed as good a name as any really.
In continuing with the festive theme,Ivy was born on 23 rd December, so we have half sisters, the "Holly and the Ivy"...icon_blshing
Sins

Well what else could you call this little chap but .........

ALFIE ?? :eek:

LittleAlfie.jpg

My Kids

5256645614_19b722e4e6_m.jpg

Atlas, after the Greek God. Probably misnamed as he is pushy and at all times fun oriented.

3876324905_0e011b3ba1_m.jpg

Luka Caius, the Polish version of Luke. I wanted a dignified, solid name. As Luka is very serious, and likes what he likes, and wants to be pet when he wants to be pet. Very independent. I really liked the name Caius, phonetically.

Great idea! Blondie after deborah harry the rockstar but it quickly became "monster" after 4 nights being a terrorizing puppy. :). She still goes into "monster mode" something switches and she get that troublemaker face. We call her monster most of the time. :)

Polly's breeder was calling her that. She was very tiny so she reminded her of the tiny little kids toys "Polly pocket" (UK'ers might not know about this..?). Also had many nicknames like Pollywog lol. We had conversed back and forth for so long about "Polly" it just seemed odd to change her name, I was so used to referring to her by it. I thought the name was adorable so I had no problem keeping it. I had almost named her Chloe though.

We got Sydney from a breeder in San Diego. She wanted to breed her dog with a breeders dog from Australia. She was sent 4 puppies, chose one for herself and sold the others. His pedigree papers for shipping had named him Trent. So we named him Sydney after hei birthplace with a middle name of Trent.

Clancy is an Irish name meaning "red warrior" (though he's a lover, not a fighter).

Dillon was named by his foster mother in rescue, and came to us recognizing it as his. I thought he had been through too much already in his life to go changing his name.

I always thought I would name a tricolor boy Duncan, but that is what we named my husband's car. Cause it's The Highlander (and there can be only one). :-D

We were considering a black and tan boy I would have named Flynn... it means "son of the red haired man", and his sire was a ruby.

We chose Oliver for the baby because it seemed to suit him, and on first meeting, he responded to it. The breeder then called him that, so by the time he came home it was definitely his. When he is out in the yard I yell 'Ollie Ollie oxen free!" to get him to come. His AKC name is Button's Oliver Twist. 8)

Great thread - very interested how others have come up with names. I've always just looked and known. After years of German Shepherds my first experience of a small dog was a Cavalier pup who turned out to be an Ickle-bickle-wickle-Willow :) I had planned to call her either Ruby as was around my 40th birthday, or Lily as was also near 12th July, but Willow she was and that was that! Finn is named because with a houseful of my own and foster dogs [7 at time] I said that's it finished, finneto, no more. Turns out he wasn't named too well.... :lol:

we wanted a Hawaiian name as we live on Maui. I had a list, my husband didn't like any. I loved Hoku which means star, I loved Lilikoi call her lili for short which is a sweet fruit. I loved Pua which means flower but husband thought this sounded too much like poop. we settled on Maile which is a small fragrant white flower. A name both of us can agree on. although on her papers her name is Sophia Loren as her breeder names after movie stars.

What a fun thread we have!!

Lots of unique stories! We had several names as options before we met our girl who was already 5 months old. My Aunt Gracie was named after comedienne Gracie Allen....and both were such funny, big-hearted women. Once little Gracie picked us out...and she DID pick us...and we took her home, we knew she was a Gracie very quickly. She was such a comical little girl. In the first week....

P1010663.jpg

and then....
graciedishwasher.jpg

Flash was supposed to have a royal or sophisticated name. LOL. Even thought about calling him "Prince" or "Charlie".. but he never responded to any of those names. After about a week I was online going down a list of dog names and just started calling them out... Made it to "Flash" and he jumped up and ran across the room to me. Been calling him that ever since! Fits him well! He loves being in pictures. (Actually had the camera out the other day taking pictures of things to sell and he KEPT getting in the photo. LOL). Also he is FAST. All you see is a black flash run past you when outside.

Holly got her name easily. It was around Christmas time and I wanted to give them names related to the time of year. Although her name was ALMOST Molly instead.

Blitz was a little harder. Finally settled on "Blitzen" after the reindeer but it was quickly shortened to "Blitz". Haha was even easier because I was addicted to Bejewled Blitz at the time.

When Leo was born he had a tufty bit of hair on top of his head and looked like a lion so his breeder called him Leo after the MGM lion. His full name is Leonardo and when we first saw him it just seemed to suit him so well.

Ive always said if I had 3 more I'd call them Donatello, Michaelangelo and Rafael:badgrin:

(After the turtles by the way)

Ruby is from a puppymill in Kansas that was shut down. When I adopted her, she was so tiny. Being that she was from Kansas, I automatically thought of The Wizard of Oz...
I didn't like Dorothy all that well, but she WAS as small as a little "Ruby" slipper! :)
That's about it!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Back