• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Names - What Made You Pick That Name

I hate picking names! It has always been so tough for me. I had been set on calling my new pup Pheobe, because I just thought it sounded like a very cute and girly name. I also tossed around Princess, Lady (from Lady and the Tramp), or Laya, Princess Laya..the curly ear hairs made me think of her.

We ended up with Coco, because of her rich brown little eyebrows that just warm your heart... we decided on the name one day when visiting relativese out in the snow and had little "no name" puppy with us. We had just come inside from playing and were all so cold we wanted some hot cocoa, and we removed the a to make it more unique!!! Now we sometimes call her Coco Chanel :p

I was so thrilled and excited to finally own a Cavalier, but at a complete loss for a name for her. My wonderful DH came up with "Sophie" and I thought it was perfect.

Jasper was the name the breeder had called him after the twilight series! And we quite liked it, plus my daughter was also into those books too. His kennel name was Keith Urban. The breeder named them all after singers. I must say I did want Michael Buble but he was taken!! LOL
Holly was born on Halloween and her litter was the pumpkin patch! Holly was called Toffee as in Toffee Apple which is her kennel name. We picked Holly because it was close to Christmas and also the breeders first Cav was called Holly. She was pleased we called her Holly.

Lots of unique stories! We had several names as options before we met our girl who was already 5 months old. My Aunt Gracie was named after comedienne Gracie Allen....and both were such funny, big-hearted women. Once little Gracie picked us out...and she DID pick us...and we took her home, we knew she was a Gracie very quickly. She was such a comical little girl. In the first week....

P1010663.jpg

and then....
graciedishwasher.jpg

I Love this picture because I often ask my dogs if they want to go into the oven and they do! We have one with Luka standing on the oven door (oven was off of course) Your pic reminded me. They love being "Hot Dogs".

This is a great thread!
Brooklyn was easy for us because my husband and I had just moved from New York City to Australia last October, and I wanted something that would remind me of home. I went through a lot of American options though...Eugene, Indiana, Bronx...But Brooklyn was by far the best, was a girls name, and really had a heart from where we met, fell in love and lived together (that sounds cheesy, ha).
7cb8f404-2bb5-2064.jpg

Great thread. Some really beautiful photos posted too!

Belle chose her name herself. After calling her various names such as Pupcake, Buttons, Lady, etc. One day, we called out "Belle!" and she came running to us saying- " Yes, I am beautiful!"

Bobby (aka Bob or Bobo) has always been a favourite name of mine and the name Robert is prevalent in the family. Our Bobby is the only 'baby boy' we'll ever have, so Bobby was his chosen name. We call him after my great-Uncle Bobby, whose full name was Robert Francis and that is what we call Bobby when he's in trouble:p

Here is a photo of them from last summer, both looking very focused on the treat I had dangling above the camera!

40661_1461024898386_1616347781_1094386_5710878_n.jpg

Mika is Japanese for "New Moon". Mika was born on a new moon and we picked her up on a new moon, so the name fit.

Cracker's pedigree name was crackerjack so we shortened that and I love cracker as a name. We struggled with a name for my the other little guy for a while, then I came up with Jacob as in jacob's crackers ;-)

5197c96f-0cbf-666f.jpg

Here's the latest photo of them drying after their bath, my three favourite guys in a row :) they look a bit tidier than this usually!

Our other dog is named Nash (after the TV series years ago Nash Bridges). When he's bad we call him Nashville. So when our cat found us, we decided an Irish city name was needed (hubby was born and raised in Ireland), so Dublin.

When we went to get Claire, I had created a list for us to review on the way home. Since she is a redhead, we felt we should go back to the Irish names again. Nothing was fitting her until we got to Claire. And we knew we had to do it. My little niece was dx'd with leukemia the Spring before, and had gone through a harrowing bone marrow transplant at the age of 6. Her name is Madison Claire.....so we knew it had to be Claire! My niece couldn't have been more thrilled, and the two adore each other.

When we knew we were getting our cav as soon as the snowy roads allowed, we had a few days to pick a name. I wanted something rather aristocratic, not cutesy, (although Puddles would've suited in one way!) since a cav definitely isn't just any old dog! I started a list, going down the alphabet, narrowed it down to Bentley or Fletcher, finally settling on Bentley. If I ever get another it'll be Fletcher.

Hi

What marvellous stories and photos from members ,totally fascinating so a BIG thanks to all and what a lot of Beautiful Cavaliers we all have .Thanks again to all for posting all your superb replies .:D:D:D:D:flwr::flwr::flwr::flwr:

While vacationing in Kauai I saw a Cavalier for the first time and I knew it was the dog for me. It followed a young girl down to the crowded beach next to a busy road and hopped on a boogie board and off they went into the surf. Four months later after a lot of searching I picked up Nalu, my very first puppy dog. I looked for a Hawaiian name associated with water and found “Nalu,” Hawaiian for “daughter of the deep blue sea” and used in reference to surf or waves. A few months later we were giving Nalu her first boogie board lesson on lake Superior where we live.
The Cavalier from Kauai

Nalu's first lesson seven months later

While vacationing in Kauai I saw a Cavalier for the first time and I knew it was the dog for me. It followed a young girl down to the crowded beach next to a busy road and hopped on a boogie board and off they went into the surf. Four months later after a lot of searching I picked up Nalu, my very first puppy dog. I looked for a Hawaiian name associated with water and found “Nalu,” Hawaiian for “daughter of the deep blue sea” and used in reference to surf or waves. A few months later we were giving Nalu her first boogie board lesson on lake Superior where we live.
The Cavalier from Kauai

Nalu's first lesson seven months later

Those pictures are beyond wicked.

I had Oliver at a year old so he was already named (Moonvale Apache by Shenlyn, Oliver for everyday). He is a dignified little dog, so NEVER Olly!

Aled came from a Welsh puppy farm, so I gave him a Welsh name that goes well with Oliver. I knew Aled was a Welsh name because of the singer Aled Jones, but he is definitely not named after him - Aled means 'child' in Welsh, so it seemed appropriate for a Cavalier who, although 18 months old when we had him, was still very much a puppy in experience. I think that after 2.5 years with us he has finally caught up with himself and become an adult.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Chelsea, my ruby got her name basically becasue I liked it and seemed to fit. Vivian I saw at 4 weeks was originally to be called Lila, a sweet name. Unfortunatly she was beating up her littermate brothers making them squalk, then she stopped and looked at me from under her eyebrows, definatly not a Lila but reminded me of Vivian Leigh in gone with with the wind sitting on the porch with the red head twins and sporting the same look. Vivian it is, with Vivi for short.

IMG_1472 by suzannern99, on Flickr
Vivian at 4 with brothers.

IMG_3017 by suzannern99, on Flickr

Back