• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Venting!

goda

So throughout Luka's life I have always been in contact with his breeder by email, trying to find out what this could be. She has always suggested something else PSOM etc. when I said we were testing for SM, her response was it takes an MRI to confirm it, making it sound like just because it is expensive procedure we shouldn't do it.

Anyway a couple of days ago I sent her a copy of Luka's discharge paperwork so she could have proof that she has at least bred 1 dog with this disease and this was the charming response I received:

"We were very upset and hurt that you chose not to tell us about Luka’s medical problems, which he has probably suffered from for many months, until you could accuse us of being cold and unsympathetic."

Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:12 PM
To:
Subject: Re: Luka's Discharge paperwork

You're welcome, and thank you for not even offering a single ounce of sympathy or condolences. It makes ceasing to recommend you as a breeder such an easy decision. Trust me all of Greater Washington will know that this is the type of breeder you are. Seriously.

Sent: Wed, May 25, 2011 6:49:23 PM
Subject: RE: Luka's Discharge paperwork

Thank you for the paperwork. I will be sure to put it in his mother’s file.

Mind, I have been emailing her regarding his condition for the past to years asking what it could be and she has said everything but SM. I am so frustrated, I took Luka to 5 different vets to get some help, and it wasn't cheap and I didn't care I made the sacrifices and my fiancee made the sacrifices.

I am shocked she had nerve to write that to me.

Last edited:
First let me say that I am so sorry about your pups diagnosis. I cannot imagine what you and especially your pup are going through.
I cannot believe the response you have gotten from the breeder. That is just horrible! From the sounds of it though they will probably keep breeding :(
Would you mind either PMing me the breeders name and location in the state or posting it here if you want? I did not buy our pup in WA but would still like to know what breeder you went to.
Becky

Goda, I would certainly make sure she understands that you've gone more then the extra mile to get to the bottom of the situation, no thanks to her. And why does she assume it's just the mother that is at fault?

Such a shame. I'm sorry you are having to go through this.

Please folks, always be sure send the name of any breeders privately via PM or email and don't name them on the board or ask for anyone or any place to be named on the board. The discussion is currently absolutely fine. :)

However, it is strictly against board usage rules to post the name of a breeder or to link to them in this kind of discussion. If members haven't, please check the Getting Started section on what is Ok to post, please. (y) Members are free to have such discussions privately, of course!

Ps -- Appalling breeder response. Nothing like finding a way to *blame the owner* especially when the breeder has obviously tried to steer you away from ever considering SM much less confirming it. Thanks for sending her the info as you did -- that will if nothing else, make her think. The idea that Luka's results should only go into the mother's 'file' -- rather than have her state she would immediately MRI her or pull her from her breeding programme -- says absolutely everything.

If this breeder is a member of either the CKCSC or ACKCSC I would forward the correspondence to the club and file a formal complaint. At least she will be named and shamed to the club committee.

Goda, I would certainly make sure she understands that you've gone more then the extra mile to get to the bottom of the situation, no thanks to her. And why does she assume it's just the mother that is at fault?

Such a shame. I'm sorry you are having to go through this.

I told her as much. I can make copies of his medical record and the times he has been seen. I have a notebook with all his medical care, shot information, check ups, etc. More importantly I've keep the records of when I contacted her.

What she is doing is wrong and hurtful because all I was trying to do is help her.

On her contract is says she guarantees her puppies for up to two years, well we got Luka at 6 months and we've just now had him for two years. She just doesn't want to be out anymore money and frankly we got him for 400 because he was older and had an over bite, but we didn't care. He was ours.

It's not like I am asking for my money back either. So I don't know what her problem is, if I were a breeder I would say I am sorry this is happening, how can I help?

I would go to your local free legal advice centre -- if she guarantees her puppies for two years you have grounds to get her to pay for med bills through small claims. If you get a decision against her then the info about her becomes a matter of public record. I'd see is Washington state has a lemon law that applies to animals as well -- from a quick glance it doesn;t look like the state does as of last year at least, but it is worth getting free legal advice on this. Small claims can be taken cheaply by an individual and the fact that you have records as do the vets will really help.

However, it is strictly against board usage rules to post the name of a breeder or to link to them in this kind of discussion. If members haven't, please check the Getting Started section on what is Ok to post, please. (y) Members are free to have such discussions privately, of course!

If this breeder is a member of either the CKCSC or ACKCSC I would forward the correspondence to the club and file a formal complaint. At least she will be named and shamed to the club committee.

Well, Karlin - someone had better go back and edit the first post because the breeder is easily identified and I've (probably other observant readers also) already been to her website. And yes, she is a club breeder - actually a breeder that would be considered a cut above the average breeder and reputable. After you edit that post, you can remove my post!

And yes, there is a small claims court case here if you have thorough medical records and copies of correspondence with the breeder. I know several people that have had successful outcomes in cases like this in small claims court and have been awarded money, but likely you would only recover the initial cost of the dog. But that would at least be $400 that could go toward medical bills. A breeder as involved in breed clubs as this person would absolutely have knowledge of SM; she even mentioned PSOM which is something that only a knowledgeable person would consider. And she knew that only an MRI would "confirm" SM. Considering that several of us immediately recognized SM symptoms in the first video, I think it's reasonable that the breeder would have suspected SM as a potential diagnosis, and she should have mentioned the possibility - and I believe should have refunded the purchase price to go toward an MRI.

Pat

Last edited:
Well, Karlin - someone had better go back and edit the first post because the breeder is easily identified and I've (probably other observant readers also) already been to her website. And yes, she is a club breeder - actually a breeder that would be considered a cut above the average breeder and reputable. After you edit that post, you can remove my post!

And yes, there is a small claims court case here if you have thorough medical records and copies of correspondence with the breeder. I know several people that have had successful outcomes in cases like this in small claims court and have been awarded money, but likely you would only recover the initial cost of the dog. But that would at least be $400 that could go toward medical bills. A breeder as involved in breed clubs as this person would absolutely have knowledge of SM; she even mentioned PSOM which is something that only a knowledgeable person would consider. And she knew that only an MRI would "confirm" SM. Considering that several of us immediately recognized SM symptoms in the first video, I think it's reasonable that the breeder would have suspected SM as a potential diagnosis, and she should have mentioned the possibility - and I believe should have refunded the purchase price to go toward an MRI.

Pat

I removed the first name, I thought i had cleaned all of it and missed that one. i told her i wanted nothing from her, and i don't. Luka is registered and she is a registered breeder so I am more than happy to write a letter.

Do you guys know the process?

I wish I had something profound to say here, but I'm afraid I don't. I will say this is so wrong of her to be this way. I know it must really hurt you.
I'm quite sure with help from people above you can get this figured out. Let me know if I can help in any way!
See ya at the park tomorrow! Let's look forward to fun and hopefully lots of silly Cavalier action! We could all use it! :)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

A little more sympathy from the breeder would have been nice. And its not like this is any of your fault. I just don't understand how some people can be so unemotional about a puppy they themselves bred and raise up.

When my rottweiler was diagnosed with hip dysplasia his breeder kept saying how she had no idea where it came from but she would work with me to get me a nice dog. (I had bought him to show) When it came time for a new pup she offered me one for $3000. :mad: I was so furious about all this fake "I'm sorry" stuff. Some breeders only care about money and reputation.

Perhaps if you let her know you are writing to the club she may become more sympathetic toward your delimma. After all you are the one that must watch your pup suffer every day. And pay for any treatment. It just blows my mind. Personally I would be devastated if this was something I bred. And I would be bending over backward to do everything I could to make it right! She should at least offer to pay for the mri services.

Back