• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Memories of Megan 1998-2011

So sorry you've lost sweet Megan. I too love that picture of her draped in the blanket. She was a little beauty. Run free Megan you will be truly missed.

So very sorry run free Megan
If It Should Be

If it should be I grow frail and weak
And pain prevents my peaceful sleep.
Then you must do what must be done
When this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Selfishness might stay your hand.
But on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship take the test.

We've had so many happy years
That what's to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer. So,
When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend.
Only -- stay with me until the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me.
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know, in time, you, too, will see
It is a kindness that you do for me.
Although my tail it's last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Do not grieve it should be you.
Who must decide this thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years......
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

----Aileen

As many of you may already have seen, we are currently going through the agony of losing our precious old lady, Megan, after 12 long years of faithful companionship to her humans and devoted care of countless dogs who have passed by, whether as permanent residents or temporary guests.

She arrived with us at the age of 5 months in April 1999, primarily as a companion for our then old girl, Louie. But she was immediately thrown into the demands of TLC and motivator when I found myself hospitalised for cancer surgery and chemotherapy. It worked – I recovered!

Since then she has continued to be our most treasured darling – always independent of spirit, always calm and dignified in the face of troubled times, always giving selflessly of herself to those in need of guidance and reassurance. We thought we were so lucky when she appeared to have no sign of heart disease, and did not worry unduly when we realised she had gone totally deaf, until the dreadful day in 2006 when we realised that she was in fact suffering from the scourge of SM.

However, Megan was not one to give up unnecessarily! With the brilliant help and treatment of our wonderful vet, with all the support and advice from this forum, with good food, gentle exercise and a full diary of looking after others, Megan continued to live her extraordinary life.

And now that it is over, she is still helping others, because I registered her with the Cavalier Collection Scheme, and, thanks to Margaret’s good offices and the dedication of several researchers, our lovely girl is doing her bit to help solve the mysteries of some of the terrible diseases which have struck our beloved Cavaliers.

So, my darling Megan, we bid you farewell and a sweet good night, and will always hold you tight in our hearts, though we shall terribly miss……….

Your puppyhood charms
001Firstdayhomeaged4months5thApril1999.jpg

Your playful spirit
002WithteddyasbigasMegan.jpg

Your nicknames, like “Miss Wisp”
004MissWisp.jpg

Your loving companionship to our own dogs like Louie
000WagtailsatWagtails.jpg

Your sharing of our interests
005Birdwatcherextraordinaire.jpg

019CyclingatSlimbridgewithMAAug2003.jpg

Your soothing whispers to our guests
008Chinesewhispers.jpg

Your incredibly blonde ears
009Blondebombshell.jpg

Your favourite spot under the table
036Meganunderthekitchentable.jpg

Your love of toast from your Nan
098MeganscroungingtoastfromBobbie.jpg

Your winning ways
101Meganinherwinnersblanket.jpg

Your wise old face
106Eyeswideshut.jpg

What a lovely way to honor her. I am so sorry for your loss.

Absolutely, absolutely a beautiful tribute...what a happy contended dog your pictures tell a story of...thinking of you...Teresa xxx

What a great memorial and I am in tears. I am sure that megan helping you at that time created an extrodiary bond. I'm so sorry for your loss

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

after seeing these pictures I am now in tears too..Your canvas wrap will help her live on. :l*v::l*v:

I fell in love with Megan through Marie-Anne's beautiful photos and stories about her - Marie-Anne and I became close after the loss of my Ruby, Teddy - another very special Cavalier.

I am so sad that I did not get to meet Megan, her wonderful nature and joy for life shines out in the photos, she was such a very special friend to you through some very difficult times, and to all your house guests and companions over the years.

Your tribute is just lovely - I heard today a description of empathy - your pain in my heart - and that seems so appropriate.

I wanted to share this with you:

Tribute to a best friend

Sunlight streams through window pane
unto a spot on the floor....
then I remember,
it's where you used to lie,
but now you are no more.
Our feet walk down a hall of carpet,
and muted echoes sound....
then I remember,
It's where your paws would joyously abound.
A voice is heard along the road,
and up beyond the hill,
then I remember it can't be yours....
your golden voice is still.
But I'll take that vacant spot of floor
and empty muted hall
and lay them with the absent voice
and unused dish along the wall.
I'll wrap these treasured memorials
in a blanket of my love
and keep them for my best friend
until we meet above.

Maria-Anne, I'm so sorry to hear about Megan. What a beautiful tribute to her, she was such a gorgeous girl. Sending you hugs at this sad time :hug:

Marie-Anne, I'm so sorry to hear about Megan. What a beautiful tribute to her, she was such a gorgeous girl. Sending you hugs at this sad time :hug:

What a beautiful tribute to an obviously special, and well loved companion and friend. Some, though we try hard not to pick, just become our 'heart' dog. Megan was so lovely. I am truly sorry for your loss.

Just wanted to thank you all so much for all the lovely tributes to precious Megan. It really does help to know that so many people, from so many different parts of the world, are sharing our heartache and really understanding our loss.

Megan is now back home with us in her beautiful casket with her name inscribed. The hardest part of letting her go to Cambridge was the few days that we no longer had her here with us. But otherwise I can't praise the Cavalier Collection Scheme highly enough. MargaretC was just wonderful in her support, both practical and emotional, and I've had several lovely messages from the researchers to thank us for thinking of them when Megan died.

If anyone else is thinking of joining the scheme, please don't hesitate to PM me if you would like to hear more from first-hand experience. It isn't the easiest thing I've ever done by far, but so worthwhile to know that Megan has contributed to the long-term solution for some of our Cavaliers worst nightmares.

MegansmemorialcornerEMAIL.jpg

MeganwithherpalsandflowersEMAIL.jpg

Marie-Anne, I m so so sorry for your loss. :flwr: What a lovely profile you have given us of Megan and your deep love comes across. And thank you for having her continue to help all our dogs by being part of the Collection scheme. I love your beautiful cavalier zone of pictures and gorgeous drawings and what a nice place for her to be now.

I am so sorry for your loss. Your pictures of dear Megan were very touching. Thank you for posting them.

What beautiful drawings of your pups. Do you have someone you know that will do them for you? I just love the whole area you've dedicated to them.

I am glad Megan is home now. She was always there, in your heart, but now she is resting there too.

Having just read through this for the first time, I am now sitting here sobbing, so how on earth do you feel? You seem such a wonderful caring person, and Megan was truly beautiful. Your tribute to her and her life is remarkable. Your 'Cavalier corner' is amazing and all the wonderful pictures. You don't know me, I don't know you, but please accept my heartfelt sympathies at such a painful time. x

Back