• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Charlie has been shaved

Hi Nalu, i previously owned a tri. Though i loved the cavvies long coat i was only able to allow him to have a long coat in the winter as he alsways got a rash in the summer that for his comfort and health required him to be shaved.
It always grew back EXACTLY the same texture and got long pretty quickly.
After the groomer trimmed his ears square and shaved his tail we decided to do it ourselves and we NEVER touched his tail or his ears,
sometimes we would leave his feathers and 'pyjamas'( or his skirt) longer as well.

Here is a picture of Anzac shaved:

haircut by KokodaTheCav, on Flickr

Your neighbours maybe upset at the moment but try and remind them it is just a hair cut and WILL grow back.
We had this with Leo a few years ago, he almost had a buzz cut on top of his head....we thought he looked like a marine:yikes
There are many more tragic things that can happen to our beloved cavs, as upset as they may feel encourage them to get things in to perspective.
Im sure Charlie is just as beautiful

Now that I have seen photos of shaved Cavvies..

They are sooooo cute too! Not sure you can make a Cavvie anything less than precious! :-D I hope your neighbors get over this because Charlie will pick up on their anxiety and make it worse than it should be. They are sensitive and pick up on our feelings!

I can't imagine not leaving the house with my pair if they had a bad haircut, Murphy would bug me silly. It's bad enough if our evening routine is disrupted by something, he just sits and stares at me, and he starts pawing me if I don't take the hint.

Mine had their trip to the groomers yesterday in preparation for our holiday, they are shorter than normal, but it's what I asked for. I always get the tails and ears tidied, but this time I asked for a little more off Murphy's ears. He drags half the forest back in his:lol:. Misty's are now short all the time due to her ear problems, it took a little getting used to but she looks like a puppy again.
Murphy315.jpg

Misty315.jpg

At the end of the day it shouldn't worry them what their dog "looks" like, as long as its happy and healthy that's all that matters.

I can't imagine not leaving the house with my pair if they had a bad haircut, Murphy would bug me silly. It's bad enough if our evening routine is disrupted by something, he just sits and stares at me, and he starts pawing me if I don't take the hint.

Mine had their trip to the groomers yesterday in preparation for our holiday, they are shorter than normal, but it's what I asked for. I always get the tails and ears tidied, but this time I asked for a little more off Murphy's ears. He drags half the forest back in his:lol:. Misty's are now short all the time due to her ear problems, it took a little getting used to but she looks like a puppy again.
Murphy315.jpg

Misty315.jpg

At the end of the day it shouldn't worry them what their dog "looks" like, as long as its happy and healthy that's all that matters.

Mine do the staring and pawing too! It get's very intense some times. Especially when they do it for a few minutes.

Nice work on the shave-grooming!!! How do you do it and is it tricky getting the cooperation you need?

Nice work on the shave-grooming!!! How do you do it and is it tricky getting the cooperation you need?

I usually do it outside in the summer, with those buzzy razor things for men, I don't know what you call them, I use the 1/4 inch on Luka and the 1/2 inch on Atlas because he's young and has no insulating fat.

At first they are annoyed but Luka almost always falls asleep, I do the backs first the then lay them on their tummies against my chest. The Armpits can get tricky but those can be trimmed with scissors.

Atlas just gets bored and wants to play. I think it's better and way cheaper than a groomer because they know you and it's a safe environment. I leave the legs for last usually and I like to leave their paw hair kind of long.

I get covered in hair but it's nothing a vacuum and shower can't fix. It seems easy to me, takes maybe an hour. I trim the outside of the ears by hand, and the bulks of them with the razor. They are so smooth afterwards and most importantly clump free!

Back