Thread: Probably Ridiculous

Post Thanks / Like

Default Probably Ridiculous

I don't see an answer to this in the FAQ but can a Syrinx be removed? I heard it could be drained but there isn't much info that I can find on the topic.

I think I need an appoint. with the Neurologist sooner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No it cannot be removed. It can be drained by a shunt but the drain needs to always be there. Sometimes surgery will help reduce syrinx size but actually there is't any clear evidence that having the syrinx reduce gives any better improvement than a decompression where syrinxes don't reduce.

NB -- it would help to have the subject heading relate more directly to the content of the question (eg: 'Can syrinxes be removed' -- this would help people decide to read your post as they can tell whether it is relevant to them and increases the chance that you will get answers from a range of people, and also really helps people who might be looking for such information to find it in archives or while reading the board. Thanks!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    No it cannot be removed. It can be drained by a shunt but the drain needs to always be there. Sometimes surgery will help reduce syrinx size but actually there is't any clear evidence that having the syrinx reduce gives any better improvement than a decompression where syrinxes don't reduce.

NB -- it would help to have the subject heading relate more directly to the content of the question (eg: 'Can syrinxes be removed' -- this would help people decide to read your post as they can tell whether it is relevant to them and increases the chance that you will get answers from a range of people, and also really helps people who might be looking for such information to find it in archives or while reading the board. Thanks!
    Oh! You are right, I am pretty new to forums. Can it be edited?