Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I-Pad vs I-Pad 2

Post Thanks / Like

Default I-Pad vs I-Pad 2

All right all you techie wizards out there - how many of you have upgraded from the I-Pad to the I-Pad 2? and was it worth it? Thinking of doing it for my husband for his birthday, but not sure it's worth all the fuss. Ideas?
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Love my Cavaliers View Post
    All right all you techie wizards out there - how many of you have upgraded from the I-Pad to the I-Pad 2? and was it worth it? Thinking of doing it for my husband for his birthday, but not sure it's worth all the fuss. Ideas?
    I don't get the fuss about it , to me a laptop would be better, but people go crazy over the ipad which is just a bigger iphone without the phone abilities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I and my partner adore our iPads and my partner in particular uses his constantly, including doing presentations from it (And I actually have two–one that I bought, and a loaner from Apple, so I can have one upstairs, one downstairs). But neither of us has felt it is worth upgrading yet. That has generally been the message from most of my fellow tech journalists too. On the other hand, I would be more than delighted if someone gave me the new version! It is thinner, lighter, has a camera... You might also be operating from the ulterior motive school of thinking–which means, if you get your partner the new iPad, then you might inherit the existing iPad and have pretty much the same amount of fun. to me, that sounds like a reasonable level of motivation for getting a new one…

If you are looking for an alternative tech oriented gift that most people really love, especially if they are frequent fliers or public transport commuters, or if they like listening to music while they're working on the computer, I'd highly recommend the Bose noise canceling headphones.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    If you are looking for an alternative tech oriented gift that most people really love, especially if they are frequent fliers or public transport commuters, or if they like listening to music while they're working on the computer, I'd highly recommend the Bose noise canceling headphones.
    Oh No!! I've just bought my other half a set of Phillips noise cancelling head phones. I think they should be ok though.

Re i-pad 2, I don't have an i-pad 1, but I have an iphone and have decided that it's not worth the expense to upgrade to iphone4 for now anyway, but if you would have use for an i-pad, go for it!
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Graham has an I Pad 2, he loves it. I wouldn't bother with one, I think it is great if you are travelling etc. I have a laptop, so I can't see the point.

http://www.differencebetween.com/dif...-apple-ipad-2/
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh I am sure the Phillips ones will be great, too! And probably not as expensive as the Bose, either. Good noise cancelling headphones are really great for flights or for even wearing while listening to nothing -- if you are working and just want to block outside noise.

I know so many people who said they didn't see the point of an iPad until they tried using one for a few days... It is quite a different experience. I love it for games -- which I never ever play on the computer! Also for the various apps. Also very handy for travel as I can do my writing and file stories without having to lug a much heavier laptop. Lovely for viewing pictures too. And the battery life is incredible.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love my IPad 1. I won't be upgrading to a 2 not yet anyway! It would be nice to have the camera though. I take it down the coast when we go away and it is fantastic to be able to have Internet while down there. The only thing I don't like is no flash player on it. But other thatn that it's awesome.
    Deb

Post Thanks / Like

Oh
    I know so many people who said they didn't see the point of an iPad until they tried using one for a few days... It is quite a different experience. I love it for games -- which I never ever play on the computer! Also for the various apps. Also very handy for travel as I can do my writing and file stories without having to lug a much heavier laptop. Lovely for viewing pictures too. And the battery life is incredible.
    Graham is in the same camp as you
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

Also very handy for travel as I can do my writing and file stories without having to lug a much heavier laptop.
    So it is good for writing also? Is there a special app that you need to get for that? I do a ton of writing and if I do get him the I-Pad 2 and I take over his old one I would love not to travel with a heavy laptop.

By thy way, he already has the noise cancelling headphones. Great idea though.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love my iPad 1. I won't be upgrading, but my boss has an iPad 2, and it is very nice.

I have several apps for typing: pages, evernote, RTFsomething...mostly I just use pages though.